PDA

View Full Version : Lookout her she comes!

Mirage
08-12-2010, 5:46 PM
Sherri Gallager is in first place today at the Highpower National Championships.
Last year she was it the lead, but she crossfired.
Lookout guys, this Gal is good!
Link to Story:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/08/sgt-sherri-gallagher-leads-high-power-championship/

Steyrlp10
08-12-2010, 9:45 PM
Thanks for posting this. A team of my friends just got back from shooting pistol at Perry -- and they said the humidity was exhausting! I don't know how rifle shooters can gear up in their jackets (that's why I stick to pistol - lol!)

I'm sure her mom is very proud of her -- that's really cool to keep the skill going in the family :)

SDJim
08-13-2010, 6:26 AM
And it looks like local San Diegan Marine Reservest Eric Swearingen is in the lead shooting Service Rifle.

Mirage
08-13-2010, 8:28 AM
Thanks for posting this. A team of my friends just got back from shooting pistol at Perry -- and they said the humidity was exhausting! I don't know how rifle shooters can gear up in their jackets (that's why I stick to pistol - lol!)

I'm sure her mom is very proud of her -- that's really cool to keep the skill going in the family :)

I have only shot matches hear in CA. So, I have no idea what it is like to suit up in a humid climate like Perry.
Most shooters wear a sweatshirt under their shooting coats year round. Since it doesn't get that cold hear in the valley I do the opposite and never wear a sweatshirt under my shooting coat.
You still have to wonder about your sanity when it's 110 on the line, and you put on a shooting coat and lay in the sun for 25 min.
I worked with a guy from Arkansas, that wore flannel underwear year round. He said that once they got damp with sweat they act like air conditioning. (That could be. I never tried it so I can't say.)
He said the only problem is that when you take your clothes off you look like a turtle that's been yanked out of his shell.
I see that Creedmoor Sports already has T-shirts for sell that say "Shoot Like A Girl If You Can"

phish
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Sherri took it by 1 point this morning. She would have taken it if it was tied because of her X count. Even bested Tubb's record he set in 2003, just wow...

Steyrlp10
08-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I have only shot matches hear in CA. So, I have no idea what it is like to suit up in a humid climate like Perry.
Most shooters wear a sweatshirt under their shooting coats year round. Since it doesn't get that cold hear in the valley I do the opposite and never wear a sweatshirt under my shooting coat.
You still have to wonder about your sanity when it's 110 on the line, and you put on a shooting coat and lay in the sun for 25 min.
I worked with a guy from Arkansas, that wore flannel underwear year round. He said that once they got damp with sweat they act like air conditioning. (That could be. I never tried it so I can't say.)
He said the only problem is that when you take your clothes off you look like a turtle that's been yanked out of his shell.
I see that Creedmoor Sports already has T-shirts for sell that say "Shoot Like A Girl If You Can"

Yes, I've seen the rifle shooters gear up. When I used to shoot the Nationals in Chino before they moved to GA, I'd watch the judges come with the big "pinchers" to measure the the thickness of their shooting jackets and the sweatshirt(s) underneath. I think they were also checking the shooting boots. This is International Bullseye, so I'm sure the rules for clothing is different for Conventional in Perry.

Still, it made me h-o-t just looking at the kids in their leather. One summer in Chino, it was 93 degrees in the shade. Naturally, they had flies that would bite. I have more sympathy for cows after that experience :)

When I was in Atlanta shooting Air, we had the luxury of AC and computerized points. Gee, what $$$ can bring - lol

Mirage
08-13-2010, 1:14 PM
Sherri took it by 1 point this morning. She would have taken it if it was tied because of her X count. Even bested Tubb's record he set in 2003, just wow...

Wow, Carl breaks the record that has been standing since 2003 by an astounding 6 points, only to have Sherri best him by 1 on that same occasion.
That's got to be a hugh disappointment for him.
So, much for predictions that Sherri would cave under pressure.
That Girl has got ice cubes in her veins.
And her X count being 23 above the record is phenomenal.

Mirage
08-13-2010, 1:26 PM
When I was in Atlanta shooting Air, we had the luxury of AC and computerized points. Gee, what $$$ can bring - lol

I wish there were air conditioned shooting coats.

ar15barrels
08-13-2010, 1:35 PM

Coming from the thompkins-gallagher family probably does not hurt.
Middleton Tompkins is still a life member at the gun club I belong to, even though he moved to AZ years ago...

Mirage
08-13-2010, 4:05 PM
Short artical about Sherri's win:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/08/sherri-wins-perry-gallagher-is-2010-nra-national-hp-champion/

masameet
08-13-2010, 7:23 PM
Wow. That's neat for her.

How far's the target? A thousand yards?

She's also a sergeant in the U.S. Army.

Does she also hold the top sniper designation in the Army? Or is that designation only for soldiers in combat?

Mirage
08-13-2010, 9:43 PM
Wow. That's neat for her.

How far's the target? A thousand yards?

She's also a sergeant in the U.S. Army.

Does she also hold the top sniper designation in the Army? Or is that designation only for soldiers in combat?

They shoot different positions and distances.
Match 1 200 yards 2 sighters - 20 shots for record - standing - 22 minutes.
This is shot Slow Fire. Each round is loaded and shot one at a time.
Match 2 200 yards 2 sighters - 2 minutes - 2 strings of 10 shots sitting in 60 seconds.
This is shot Rapid Fire. You must do a reload during Rapid Fire. Service Rifles must fire 2 rounds from the first magazine, then change magazines and fire 8 rounds. Match Rifle shooters have the alternate option of shooting 5 rounds and then 5.
Match 3 300 yards 2 sighters - 2 minutes - 2 strings of 10 shots prone in 70 seconds.
Rapid Fire
Match 4 600 yards 2 sighters - 20 shots for record prone 22 minutes.
Slow Fire
They do this each day for 3 days.
That would be 240 shots for record. A perfect score would be 2400-240x.

I don't think they get any sniper craft training.

phish
08-14-2010, 5:45 PM
.260 > 6.5x47

:94: