PDA

View Full Version : Chukar/Quail hunting

toby
08-12-2010, 5:04 PM
OK I am going to let the cat out-da-bag, due to the fact I no longer hunt in the Mojave National Preserve. AKA Feinsteins back yard I will tell those who don't know there are tons of Quail and Chukar in this part of the world. and if your real good you can get a Deer as well that is if you have a tag. But the birds are really there, best place is around Ivanpah, Barnwell,and in between the two, and all is accesable via two wheel drive unless you just gotta get closer?? why am I telling you this? that's the way I am...:cool:

5shot
08-12-2010, 8:31 PM
OK I am going to let the cat out-da-bag, due to the fact I no longer hunt in the Mojave National Preserve. AKA Feinsteins back yard I will tell those who don't know there are tons of Quail and Chukar in this part of the world. and if your real good you can get a Deer as well that is if you have a tag. But the birds are really there, best place is around Ivanpah, Barnwell,and in between the two, and all is accesable via two wheel drive unless you just gotta get closer?? why am I telling you this? that's the way I am...:cool:

I agree. Our F&G commissioner from the 1st district lives on a cattle ranch in the Providence Mountains area of the MNP. He said the quail have had 4 hatches this year so far. It's going to be a banner year for quail and chukar.

Peter W Bush
08-12-2010, 8:57 PM
Where is this place exactly??

hypnoman
08-12-2010, 9:31 PM

Yeah, I'm curious, too!!

hntnnut
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Out towards/past Cima. Do a google search for Mid Hills Campground.

Richard

5shot
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Mojave National Preserve is located east of Barstow, Calif., between I-15 and I-40.

From I-15: Exit Kelbaker Road at Baker, Calif., or Zyzyx Road, Cima Road, or Nipton Road.

From I-40: Exit Kelbaker Road, Essex Road, or Goffs Road.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/mnp.jpg?t=1281682779

toby
08-13-2010, 7:02 AM
The area in question is north of Cima ie Ivanpah Cima rd & cima Brant rd. east side of R&R tracks?? I don't mind giving info but you do need to research for your self. There are three or four water holes in this local but again you'll have to locate them. I have hunted here since 1970 and my Father was raised in Ivanpah this is how well I know the area.I also know the district Biologist. Andy.....ps I will install a ''tip bucket'' on the old sign post near the track crossing.....LOL

Peter W Bush
08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
The area in question is north of Cima ie Ivanpah Cima rd & cima Brant rd. east side of R&R tracks?? I don't mind giving info but you do need to research for your self. There are three or four water holes in this local but again you'll have to locate them. I have hunted here since 1970 and my Father was raised in Ivanpah this is how well I know the area.I also know the district Biologist. Andy.....ps I will install a ''tip bucket'' on the old sign post near the track crossing.....LOL

If I find the old sign post, I'll leave you something nice in that "tip bucket"

toby
08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Mr Bush, thanks so much...lol Oh and guy's The town of Ivanpah is no longer there. just one abandond house and piles of junk. At one time it was a turn-around or turn table for the Trains.

toby
08-13-2010, 1:41 PM
Wow! all this and no... Hey thanx dude,cool,atta boy???? :( Oh well

olhunter
08-13-2010, 2:15 PM

Hey thanx dude,cool,atta boy!

Tanner68
08-13-2010, 3:15 PM
I have mixed feelings about a post like this. Granted you weren't that specific as to local, and overall it is a big area you referenced, but I have seen a lot of spots and areas ruined by too much pressure.

You started your post with "OK I am going to let the cat out-da-bag, due to the fact I no longer hunt in the Mojave National Preserve." So you felt differently about doing this sort of thing when you were hunting there.

Something positive about your post... with the direction Fienstein, the CBD, and the NPS are moving in the MNP, we need as many hunters as possible with a vested interest in the MNP so we will always be able to hunt there.

5shot
08-13-2010, 3:42 PM
Actually, with the rainy season we had this year most all traditional quail and chukar hunting areas are going to have a banner year. Reports of multiple hatches are coming in from all over the state.
And another positive thing this year is the new MNP's administration's support of hunting. This has not been the case in past years, but the new administration is actually supporting hunting and working with hunting groups to sponsor youth bird hunts to introduce youth to hunting.

toby
08-13-2010, 3:57 PM
I have mixed feelings about a post like this. Granted you weren't that specific as to local, and overall it is a big area you referenced, but I have seen a lot of spots and areas ruined by too much pressure.

You started your post with "OK I am going to let the cat out-da-bag, due to the fact I no longer hunt in the Mojave National Preserve." So you felt differently about doing this sort of thing when you were hunting there.

Something positive about your post... with the direction Fienstein, the CBD, and the NPS are moving in the MNP, we need as many hunters as possible with a vested interest in the MNP so we will always be able to hunt there.

Not that specific??? excuse me,the point's I quoted are about five or so miles apart. .A---.B and on the MNP F them if you only knew what they have done here you would change your tune so fast, well maybe not! I had three Family friend's Ranches that were forced out of thier homes and cattle businesses in that park and they have destroyed hundreds of water holes as an expeiriment to see what happens to the wild life?? HELLO they die. All the burros are gone and there is talk to remove all other non native animals from here! see where this is going? I am fourth generation of people from this very land. The crap you have read on the net or from the Kelso station is just that CRAP! this my friend is why I no longer hunt here and thats a fact. But it wont stop me from being a good sportsman and telling others what flurishes here and you have no idea how many people I have done this for. Show me anyone on any site that would give out info like this? thanks for being a fellow sportsman. Sir "excuse my spelling"

hypnoman
08-13-2010, 4:22 PM

Hey thanx dude,cool,atta boy!!

hypnoman
08-13-2010, 4:23 PM
Mojave National Preserve is located east of Barstow, Calif., between I-15 and I-40.

From I-15: Exit Kelbaker Road at Baker, Calif., or Zyzyx Road, Cima Road, or Nipton Road.

From I-40: Exit Kelbaker Road, Essex Road, or Goffs Road.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/mnp.jpg?t=1281682779

Hey thanx dude,cool,atta boy

toby
08-13-2010, 4:35 PM
Hey thanx dude,cool,atta boy!!

Any time buddy if you have questions PM me I'll spill my gut's out...lol

Tanner68
08-13-2010, 8:35 PM
Not that specific??? excuse me,the point's I quoted are about five or so miles apart. .A---.B and on the MNP F them if you only knew what they have done here you would change your tune so fast, well maybe not! I had three Family friend's Ranches that were forced out of thier homes and cattle businesses in that park and they have destroyed hundreds of water holes as an expeiriment to see what happens to the wild life?? HELLO they die. All the burros are gone and there is talk to remove all other non native animals from here! see where this is going? I am fourth generation of people from this very land. The crap you have read on the net or from the Kelso station is just that CRAP! this my friend is why I no longer hunt here and thats a fact. But it wont stop me from being a good sportsman and telling others what flurishes here and you have no idea how many people I have done this for. Show me anyone on any site that would give out info like this? thanks for being a fellow sportsman. Sir "excuse my spelling"

I have been hunting and camping in the MNP for the last 14 years, and I don't think I have missed a season. I may not have as strong an attachment and affinity for the land as you because of your roots, but it is close to my heart as well. I am aware of the history of the region, and all the issues and unfortunate repercussions you cited. It is hard to take. I know what is going on there too and am sad to see it for the very same reasons. And I am a fellow sportsman who has mentored, guided, and personally introduced many to the land and hunting.

toby
08-13-2010, 8:59 PM
I have been hunting and camping in the MNP for the last 14 years, and I don't think I have missed a season. I may not have as strong an attachment and affinity for the land as you because of your roots, but it is close to my heart as well. I am aware of the history of the region, and all the issues and unfortunate repercussions you cited. It is hard to take. I know what is going on there too and am sad to see it for the very same reasons. And I am a fellow sportsman who has mentored, guided, and personally introduced many to the land and hunting.

Fine, and thats great but you came off as tho I was not being straight forward or just talking crap maybe?.. If you have been hunting and or camping there you still might know the area in question ? most don't, but it's real simple to find and and out of the way of other hunters. in fact if you have a 4x4 take a ride down the tracks towards Cima go left at the first wash and follow it to the hills, stop before it goes back down into another wash hunt here. ps. remember tho I tell you these places unless you have been there 80% of the people would never look or find them....:gene:

Cougar125
08-16-2010, 1:02 AM
Thanks for the post Toby. Having never been down that way I may have to take a long weekend and just go exploring. :)

toby
08-17-2010, 4:57 PM
As the season get's closer I'll give up some more locals... :)

Zdiddy
08-17-2010, 5:20 PM
Sounds like the area my frinds dad was talking about this past weekend. They would go quail hunting and looking for bullfrogs in that area. To bad for what happening to that place.

Theriverjustknows
08-18-2010, 7:39 PM
Hmm we've hunted the south side of the preserve for quite some time without much luck. You're the third person I've heard of recently proclaiming further north is better. I'll have to give it a shot in the upcoming months.

joefreas
08-18-2010, 7:45 PM
I'm always looking for places to hunt, THANKS!

owenismo
08-23-2010, 2:48 AM
I actually just went during July. It was worse than last season. Only got 1 rabbit and didnt even see any quails...i dont think ill be back anytime soon lol

huntemhigh
12-30-2010, 4:38 PM
Found quail in the exact location toby posted. No chukar. However
we did find some nice coveys of chukars around in the higher elevations and I mean higher. Toby were you saying that chukar are in the location east of the tracks left at first wash towards the hills? Or is this a quail spot anyhow thanks for getiing myself and my 14 year old nephew in the right vicinity we had a blast

toby
12-30-2010, 5:02 PM
huntemhigh.... Glad you had a good time the chucker and or any other game animal are where you find them, but to answer your question they are on both sides once you find the water you will alway's find the birds... there are several springs or if you rather Artesian wells scattered throughout that country and not all are listed and most are seasonal, and some will shut down for years then come back to life when least expected. I would like to make a trip out there and meet up with a few guy's?? maybe next season or..

huntemhigh
12-30-2010, 7:25 PM
I am 31 have two boys 1 and 2 not old enough yet always looknig
for folks to hunt with. I live in phoenix az and hunt pretty much eveywhere with upland birds. I'm new to this site and will be around so if you ever want to meet up give me a shout and if you ever want to hunt az gambels scaled or mearns let me know I have a lot of good spots and an english pointer who loves nothing more than to hunt. One more question yes I found the chukar on top but is it ever possible to find them lower say the canyon bottoms or would that be a waist of time?

Tanner68
12-30-2010, 9:24 PM
I am 31 have two boys 1 and 2 not old enough yet always looknig
for folks to hunt with. I live in phoenix az and hunt pretty much eveywhere with upland birds. I'm new to this site and will be around so if you ever want to meet up give me a shout and if you ever want to hunt az gambels scaled or mearns let me know I have a lot of good spots and an english pointer who loves nothing more than to hunt. One more question yes I found the chukar on top but is it ever possible to find them lower say the canyon bottoms or would that be a waist of time?

You can find the chuks down low in the early season if there hasn't been any rain at all, and there are springs or guzzlers or tanks down low. Once any rain comes to the region, don't count on there being any chucks in the canyon bottoms.