PDA

View Full Version : Girl loads rifle to spook burglars

oepirate
08-12-2010, 1:21 PM
Not the best trigger control in the video (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/Girl-loads-rifle-to-spook-burglars) but still a good story.

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - When three teenage burglars pried open the door of a northwest Albuquerque home they had no idea they would be met by a brave little girl, police said Wednesday.

Alyssa Gutierrez, 11, took matters into her own hands Tuesday when police said when Miguel Marquez, Eduardo Zubiate and Jesus Quintana broke into her home.

Gutierrez armed herself with a loaded rifle.

"I was planning, if they came right next to me, I would shoot them," Gutierrez said.

But Gutierrez, who will start sixth grade next week, never got the chance because she'd spooked the burglars.

Gutierrez said her cousins went to run an errand around the corner from their home and were gone for a few minutes when she heard the backdoor rattle.

"I thought it was (my cousin) Zachary playing a joke on me so I just turned the TV louder and ignored it," Gutierrez said.

But on the other side of the door were the burglars who pried open the door with a crowbar. Gutierrez believes that they'd seen her cousins leave and chose to break into the home when they thought no one was there.

She said when the Marquez, Zubiate and Quintana got inside, she heard them talk about stealing guns in the home. Gutierrez and her family told KRQE News 13 that they knew one of the suspects and believed the group targeted the home to steal their guns.

"My heart kept on pounding and pounding," Gutierrez said.

She said she slid to the floor from the couch when she saw the trio, but quickly decided that hiding wouldn't do her any good because the masked intruders had seen her.

"They had a rifle so I was thinking, 'What should I do? 'What if they shoot me?'" Gutierrez said.

That's when she made a beeline for her mother's room.

"I ran back into my mom's room and grabbed her little pink rifle, and there was two bullets in there," she said.

With the loaded rifle, Gutierrez said she checked the bathroom and then the living room ready to defend herself. She said she ran to her mother's closet and called 911.

But while Gutierrez protected her home, she had no idea the suspects had jumped the fence and that an off-duty APD officer driving passed her home had spotted them.

Police arrested the three teens and their alleged getaway driver, Abraham Bustillos, minutes after the break-in.

Gutierrez said she feels lucky because just a few days ago she had learned how to shoot a rifle.

"I felt proud of myself," Gutierrez said.

Cali-Shooter
08-12-2010, 1:32 PM
Terrific. Just, absolutely, Terrific! :D

SarcoBlaster
08-12-2010, 1:46 PM
"I felt proud of myself," Gutierrez said.
Hell yeah she should!

GeorgeOfTheLiberalJungle
08-12-2010, 1:49 PM
Only thing is she didn't scare them off with the rifle she scared them off by just being there.In the video it said by the time she started searching the room with the rifle they were gone.

darksands
08-12-2010, 3:57 PM
Only thing is she didn't scare them off with the rifle she scared them off by just being there.In the video it said by the time she started searching the room with the rifle they were gone.

Perps know that there are guns in the house. They break in thinking nobody is home. When they realize someone is home, they book it, probably cause they know the homeowners are armed.

GeorgeOfTheLiberalJungle
08-12-2010, 4:18 PM
Perps know that there are guns in the house. They break in thinking nobody is home. When they realize someone is home, they book it, probably cause they know the homeowners are armed.

True

RandyD
08-12-2010, 4:25 PM
If that happened in California, CPS would take the girl into protective custody and file a petition against the parents for allowing a child to have access to a firearm, especially a loaded firearm. The girl showed common sense, courage and clear critical thinking, and it is apparent that she understood firearms enough to determine the rifle has two rounds in it.

stphnman20
08-12-2010, 4:29 PM
Freaking awesome!!

bruceflinch
08-12-2010, 4:37 PM
I love a happy ending!

crackerman
08-12-2010, 8:34 PM
If that happened in California, CPS would take the girl into protective custody and file a petition against the parents for allowing a child to have access to a firearm, especially a loaded firearm. The girl showed common sense, courage and clear critical thinking, and it is apparent that she understood firearms enough to determine the rifle has two rounds in it.

"I was planning, if they came right next to me, I would shoot them," Gutierrez said.
Not to mention Randy she showed the will to ****ing survive. Mindset is the most important thing and she had it. I only hope I can teach my future daughters to be that strong.

Seesm
08-12-2010, 8:42 PM
Yeah in California they would rather the girl be gang raped than killed... Cuz California is soo great.
My kids are better with guns around I think.

Hippo
08-12-2010, 8:53 PM
I love it when a plan comes together.

twotap
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Right on little girl. You should be proud.You did great.

MrNiceGuy
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm torn of this one.
While great she has access and knew how to use it....generally speaking shouldn't guns be kept inaccessible to kids (legally speaking)?

Cali-Shooter
08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm torn of this one.
While great she has access and knew how to use it....generally speaking shouldn't guns be kept inaccessible to kids (legally speaking)?

This was in New Mexico. IDK what the Federal laws are, but most likely there are more lenient laws in place that did not make it illegal for her to have easy access to the rifle. If anyone can correct me if I'm wrong or find out about NM laws or lack of for firearms non-access to children, go right ahead...

imtheomegaman
08-13-2010, 12:49 AM

Keep telling yourself that, you may end up believing it.

supertrooper
08-13-2010, 2:54 AM
This was in New Mexico. IDK what the Federal laws are, but most likely there are more lenient laws in place that did not make it illegal for her to have easy access to the rifle. If anyone can correct me if I'm wrong or find out about NM laws or lack of for firearms non-access to children, go right ahead...

im sure its one of those cases where they look the other way. if she had been playing with the gun and shot hersepf or someone else the parents would be looking at jail time. who would persue charged of the parents of a 11 year old the defended herself against 3 home invasion robbers and one had a rifle.

cmichini
08-13-2010, 8:06 AM
Yeah in California they would rather the girl be gang raped than killed... Cuz California is soo great.

Truer words have never been spoken.

redhemi
08-13-2010, 8:35 AM
Good for her :thumbsup:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-13-2010, 8:45 AM
She rocks. Protect's herself and the house.

biofire
08-13-2010, 1:54 PM
My faith in the next generation is restored.

PositiveInfluence
08-13-2010, 2:59 PM
My faith in the next generation is restored.

Except not in California's next generation... *Gulps*

CSACANNONEER
08-13-2010, 3:03 PM
A prime example of how teaching children to properly handle firearms and allowing them ACCESS to firearms can save their lives!

Fate
08-13-2010, 3:37 PM
im sure its one of those cases where they look the other way. if she had been playing with the gun and shot hersepf or someone else the parents would be looking at jail time. who would persue charged of the parents of a 11 year old the defended herself against 3 home invasion robbers and one had a rifle.

The penal code makes exceptions for self defense/defense of others for children to use firearms. There is no crime for a child to use a gun for defense.

oepirate
08-13-2010, 4:13 PM
The part I found best was the attitude of the article. Nice positive spin versus the too often "guns are evil."