PDA

View Full Version : All Unregulated Shooting Locations - Southern California

Jeff Rambo
05-01-2006, 3:59 PM
As the topic implies, list all known spots for unregulated shooting (i.e. BLM) in Southern California.

Edited to add: to clarify, these posts (SoCal, NorCal, and Central Cal) are to help point out quick spots for outdoor shooting that are not in conjunction with ranges. So try posting locations, directions, etc. to the spots you name. Once we have a decent sized list, I will get these all stickied or merged into one post.

glen avon
05-01-2006, 4:19 PM
all BLM land in Riverside county not incompatibly reserved or otherwise restricted by BLM, not in an otherwise prohibited area (wilderness, etc.), at least one mile from city boundaries, more than 500' (or something like that) from houses and roads, and east of a line extending approximately from whitewater south to the 10, west to the 79, south on the 79 to the 395 (it gets tricky around aguanga), and south along the 395 to san diego county.

jeff, that's quite a few yellow squares, we can't really list them all.

zombieflanders
05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Hodge Road, about 15-20 min. north of Victorville on the 15, is pretty good.

rod
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
94 East till you pass the Border Patrol Checkpoint. Continue East about 3/4 to 1 mile, and where the road makes a sweeping left turn, you'll see a Pink Gate. It has a BLM sign, and the gate is just a latch. Anywhere in there, for the most part, is BLM territory. The area I'm referring to is if you go through the gate and go straight on the dirt road. Never turn off the road. You'll see some spurs and firebreaks moving off it, but stay straight. About 5 minutes back there, you'll get to a place where there is a big tree, with a right hand turn, or you can go straight. Straight is where you want to go, but not sure if it has been fixed. It's really rocky. If it's not passible, it's still just a few minutes walk in front of you. If you follow the road, you'll eventually come to an old house, mostly just foundation. That's the old Macogo's Ranch. Just past that you'll see where the firebreak goes straight up hill. People shoot all over there. Just look around for a dirt burm.

Just be careful, because there are alot of illegals and Border Patrol Agents running around there......

NwG
05-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Jawbone/ Dove Springs / Red Rock Canyon area - Take 14 out of Mojave about 20 miles Turn off at the ranger station or past it and go up into the hills.. Open to OHV and shooting.. Been going there for 15 years, no problems.

Randsburg/ red Mountian area- Take 14 out of Mojave and turn on Randsburg Road just past Jawbone ranger station. About 20 miles to 395, turn left go 2-3 miles to Searl (SP) station cut-off road. Drive around and find a good area.. Trona road has some nice spots off of it.

These areas are pretty hightly used by dirt bikes and shooters. Be safe and clean up.. There are some nice camp sites that are more hidden than others. Shoot me a PM if intrested.

Nate D

glen avon
05-06-2006, 12:01 PM
red mountain has restrictions, ALWAYS check with the local BLM office before shooting in an area.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/news/2002/05/fr/Red_Mountain_shooting_restrictions_050602.html

I cannot stress enough how helpful the BLM agents are. they just do not get excited at all when asking about shooting, they know people shoot, they are always helpful in keeping you legal.

Jeff Rambo
05-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Disregard.

glen avon
05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
??? I didn't mess up, did I?

Jeff Rambo
05-06-2006, 1:30 PM
I saw that the the paper-target only restrictions you posted a link to were dated with an estimated expiration back in 2003. But then I went on to read and saw that there were shotgun restrictions as well.

NwG
05-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Sorry I wasn't more clear, the are I called Red Mountian is not really Red Mountian.. It's more like Randsburg, Trona area... Searl Station and Trona road are outside of the restricted polygon (If it is even restricted anymore) and well north of the shotgun only area... I have talked with Both BLM and the local PD from the area and there are no restrictions on shooting (other than the normal not near homes, over roads ect...)

Here is a link.. The area is in the upper left hand corner of the map.. I know the colors are a little close.. I checked with photochop and it is in the open year round area..

The Jawbone area is also just as good and a bit closer to LA.. Have only ever seen one ranger in 15 years and he was cool.

Jicko
05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Can someone post MAPS or GPS coordinate for this location please?

94 East till you pass the Border Patrol Checkpoint. Continue East about 3/4 to 1 mile, and where the road makes a sweeping left turn, you'll see a Pink Gate. It has a BLM sign, and the gate is just a latch. Anywhere in there, for the most part, is BLM territory. The area I'm referring to is if you go through the gate and go straight on the dirt road. Never turn off the road. You'll see some spurs and firebreaks moving off it, but stay straight. About 5 minutes back there, you'll get to a place where there is a big tree, with a right hand turn, or you can go straight. Straight is where you want to go, but not sure if it has been fixed. It's really rocky. If it's not passible, it's still just a few minutes walk in front of you. If you follow the road, you'll eventually come to an old house, mostly just foundation. That's the old Macogo's Ranch. Just past that you'll see where the firebreak goes straight up hill. People shoot all over there. Just look around for a dirt burm.

Just be careful, because there are alot of illegals and Border Patrol Agents running around there......

REDHORSE
05-22-2006, 5:11 PM
I started posting shooting areas via Google Earth.

I could use some help adding spots to the database. I have a thread here if anyone wants to help: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=299350&posted=1#post299350

I have the placemarks catagorized as:
Indoor ranges
Outdoor ranges
Outdoor - unregulated shooting areas.

For those shooting in authorized unregulated target shooting areas, PLEASE find your spots via Google Earth and post the GPS coordinates.

It's really easy to do, and you don't have to drive out there to get the GPS coordinates. You can just do it from your home computer. :) I have instructions on how to get the GPS coordinates from Google Earth on the link above.

Rover
04-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm leaving friday afternoon to run the Mojave road with a bunch of budies, will have lots of time to kill at camp each night because there are 2 groups, fast and slow, I'll be rolling with the fast guys in pre-runners, but since we're all camping together we'll have to wait around for them. My question is, is shooting legal in the Mojave National Preserve, the area between the NV border and the Barstow?

Thinking about bringing a few rifles, but don't want to bother with packing them and taking up space if I can't even shoot them.

highmeh
04-18-2008, 4:51 PM
Cherry Creek up in Ojai.

Take the 101 to the 33 North; keep heading on the 33 for about 25-30 miles until you see the Cherry Creek turnoff/hear gunshots.

Restrictions: no shooting during fire season

GTKrockeTT
04-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm leaving friday afternoon to run the Mojave road with a bunch of budies, will have lots of time to kill at camp each night because there are 2 groups, fast and slow, I'll be rolling with the fast guys in pre-runners, but since we're all camping together we'll have to wait around for them. My question is, is shooting legal in the Mojave National Preserve, the area between the NV border and the Barstow?

Thinking about bringing a few rifles, but don't want to bother with packing them and taking up space if I can't even shoot them.

a little late to be offering info on shooting in the Mojave Preserve, but i'm sure you figured out that it's not allowed. but, was this your group?

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-report-photo-section-gps-coordinates/56456-mojave-trail-april-12-14-2008-a.html

i ran mohave road the week prior to your run...good times.