PDA

View Full Version : Response from Tony Strickland, 19th District

Zomgie
08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Months ago I emailed Tony Strickland (19th District Senator) about several current assembly bills and gun rights. I received a response back earlier today, albeit a canned one.

Dear Mr. Johnson:

August 12, 2010

Dear Friend:

Thank you for your comments regarding gun-control proposals and laws in California such as AB 2223, AB 1934, and AB 1810. It is always encouraging to hear from constituents, like you, who are seeking to defend our American civil liberties and oppose all policies attempting to undermine it. I understand your frustration with Sacramentoís attempts to curtail law-abiding citizens from legally obtaining and safely using their firearms.

As your State Senator, I will be opposing all legislation that undermines a Californianís right to exercise the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. It is wrong for any public servant to infringe upon the civil liberties of law-abiding citizens. Gun-control legislation fails to address the gun violence caused by criminals, while placing an unreasonable burden on responsible firearm owners. Additionally, policies limiting the Second Amendment will adversely decrease the market competitiveness of many California businesses. In the current downward economy, the legislature should not be exacerbating an already hostile business climate in our state.

As you may know, AB 2223 failed passage in the Senate Natural Resources Committee and no further action will be taken. AB 1934 is currently pending a floor vote in the Senate and AB 1810 is in the Senate Appropriations Committee. Action must be taken on AB 1934 and AB 1810 before August 31, 2010 or both bills will fail.

Thank you, again, for contacting my office and sharing with me your concerns. It is citizens like you who make the difference in upholding our civil liberties. As a fellow supporter of the Second Amendment, I will uphold those principles outlined within the U.S. Constitution. If you have any other questions or concerns on this or any other state issue, please donít hesitate to contact me at (805) 306-8886.

As always, it is an honor to represent you in the State Senate.

Sincerely,
Tony Strickland
Senator, 19th District

Theseus
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
So not only does he say he will oppose bills that infringe on the right, he acknowledges that these bills do that. . . :thumbsup: Good job!

bwiese
08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Now if we could get Tony to carry some pro-gun bills, we'd be getting somewhere.

We need to raise the bar for CA Republicans: voting No is not enough, you gotta drive or carry some bills.

Window_Seat
08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Now if we could get Tony to carry some pro-gun bills, we'd be getting somewhere.

We need to raise the bar for CA Republicans: voting No is not enough, you gotta drive or carry some bills.

True, but it doesn't matter when every single (D) in the first committee throws out everything pro at first vote, or votes in anything anti. What we need is to get everyone of our friends & family to vote for those who have the same view as Tony, Steve, Curt & the others. Until then, nothing will happen until the first cases are decided in our favor. Even though we flooded the phone wires yesterday in Sacramento, the Appropriations committee will likely pass 1810 because that committee is full of gun owner haters. Sorry for the attitude, but...

Erik.

thayne
08-12-2010, 2:52 PM
We just need to keep the heat up until aug 31 :D

RKV
08-12-2010, 3:15 PM
"Now if we could get Tony to carry some pro-gun bills, we'd be getting somewhere."

That's unrealistic in the extreme. Change the membership in the legislature, then you will get some action. Not before. Tony is my state senator and came out to our gun club with our college marksmanship program. Good guy.

bwiese
08-12-2010, 3:57 PM
"Now if we could get Tony to carry some pro-gun bills, we'd be getting somewhere."

That's unrealistic in the extreme. .

No it's not.

*Incremental* small gun bills are indeed achievable - especially if you float enough of them, some will get thru.

Look how we took the single-shot exemption and ran with it.
Look what we did with AB2728.
Look what we did with the Katrina bill.

Voting No is not enough: efforts must be expended to get a real pro-gun label.

We should be driving a ton of bills thru legislators to see what slips thru.

RKV
08-12-2010, 5:12 PM
Not very well, has it. And the gun banners are still at it. The action is in the courts now. Tony and others like him deserve our support, not Jerry Brown, as some here advocate.

chuckdc
08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I can tell you we're highly likely to gain another friend in the Assembly this time around. Dr. Linda Halderman is replacing Mike Villines. Halderman would be called an "extremist" on 2A issues by the usual suspects in the media.

MP301
08-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Not very well, has it. And the gun banners are still at it. The action is in the courts now. Tony and others like him deserve our support, not Jerry Brown, as some here advocate.

Your kidding right? Ok, lets look at it a different way. How has this same incrementalism been working for the anti-gun folks the last several decades?

Duh, pretty F'n well obviously! One of the smartest things that our side ever figured out, and that which will probably save us in the end, is playing the same game the opposition has been playing successfully.

One piece at a time, like they have done. They get something passed that doesnt seem to be that big of a deal under the guise that its needed. Then, when it doesnt do what is claimed it will do, they say...see, we didnt go far enough. We need to make it stronger and add more to it...once its passed, that is the hard part. Changing it is always easier..

The pro gun side has screwed themselves by mostly taking the all or nothing approach....and how has that worked for us? We have to put a stpid bullet button on our AR's or a monster man grip...I F'n hate that!

Anything and everything we can do....down to a simple pro gun bill getting passed...is without a doubt, both usefull and necessary for the long run....

So, if Tony or anyone else like him deserves our support, is it because they are making a positive contribution for us, or just trying to reduce the negative by saying no?

Im not saying he doesnt deserve our support, im just saying that...like Bill said...he can do more.

berto
08-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Strickland is in the state senate and running for controller in Nov. His wife is in the assembly. That's two chances to push pro-gun legislation. I applaud votes that go our way, each one counts and is vital, but introducing pro-2A legislation is also important. There's a reason some pols don't introduce bills and it has to do with their political future.