PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Handguns

BigJim_610
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
My neighbor was showing me several handguns he purchased at a gun show in the 80's. He claimed he was only required to show his CDL and pay for the guns and he was given the guns that moment. I called FUD on him.

Does anyone remember if it was this easy in the past to purchase centerfire handguns?

What is the current legal status of those guns?

We're having a BBQ this weekend and I would like to respond to him with some facts.

Thanks,
BJ

Flopper
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes it was that easy, and those handguns are totally legal.

PS-this is how it's currently done in most other states.

paul0660
08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I think it was that way until 1991. Hopefully you didn't call FUD too loudly, and btw that isn't FUD anyway, it would be BS.

GrizzlyGuy
08-12-2010, 11:07 AM
The history of our gun laws is summarized here: Time Line of California Firearms Laws (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Time_Line_of_California_Firearms_Laws)

MaHoTex
08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Is it legal for me to have my rifles and pistols plus ammunition in my vehicle to pick my son up from a public school?

His school is half way between my residence and the shooting range. I would like to run home, load the items in the vehicle, go pick him up and then head to the range from some fun. Good to go or not?

Glock22Fan
08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Is it legal for me to have my rifles and pistols plus ammunition in my vehicle to pick my son up from a public school?

His school is half way between my residence and the shooting range. I would like to run home, load the items in the vehicle, go pick him up and then head to the range from some fun. Good to go or not?

Welcome, though your post is way off topic for this thread.

Provided your firearms (rifles and pistols) are unloaded and in secure, fully enclosed, locked cases and that you do not actually drive onto school property, you should be good to go. I would keep the cases, and any ammunition or other equipment well out of sight.

Note, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
...I called FUD on him.

You called FUD on him? You accused him of spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt? Even if he was wrong (he wasn't) he wouldn't have been spreading FUD, he would have been spreading misinformation.

CSACANNONEER
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
You will be apologizing to him this weekend. Until '91, it was legal for two residents of California to FTF handguns. They were sold this way at gunshows, bars, police station lunch rooms, newspaper adds, gas stations (I sold a single six while working at a gas station), etc. So, you should stop spreading FUD and, instead understand what you are talking about BEFORE you tell someone that they are wrong.

TempleKnight
08-12-2010, 8:12 PM
I placed an ad in the San Jose Mercury to sell a shotgun in '87. The guy came to my house, gave me the money and I gave him the gun. That's how we used to do it.

I just bought a hand gun from a private party. First, we had to find dealer that would do the transfer at a time that worked for for both of us. Then we had to have the conversation with the gun shop about whether an STI Grandmaster is legal in California (It's listed as Strayer-Tripp International on the roster). I had to show my hand gun safety card, drivers license, car reg (proof of res) and pay for the DROS and Private Party Transfer. And wait 10 days, even though I have 20 other guns in the safe.

The good old days weren't that long ago, but when I got my first gun is was even easier. Walked into Sears, gave them my money and walked out with a Savage M24D.

Librarian
08-12-2010, 8:22 PM
Then we had to have the conversation with the gun shop about whether an STI Grandmaster is legal in California (It's listed as Strayer-Tripp International on the roster). I had to show my hand gun safety card, drivers license, car reg (proof of res) and pay for the DROS and Private Party Transfer.

You need a better-informed FFL - the Roster does not apply to PPT (Penal Code 12132(a)).

capntroy
08-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I worked a job in New Orleans a couple years back and went to a gun show one Sunday, it brought a single tear to my eye to see the guys doing their paperwork and walking out of the convention center carrying their new AR's and AK's, reminded me of the way that the PRK used to be before they came...

TempleKnight
08-13-2010, 8:17 AM
You need a better-informed FFL - the Roster does not apply to PPT (Penal Code 12132(a)).

Yeah, I was suprised that they didn't know. The guy had to find another "associate" that had done a PPT to get right forms. It took about the same amount of time and paperwork as buying a car.

I think they thought it was an Evil Space Gun. Widebody 2011, huge magwell, C-More sight, huge compensator. Can't be legal. Strayer-Tripp is in the book, so we took the path of least resistance.

xxINKxx
08-13-2010, 8:27 AM
This is how we do it in AZ on a daily basis..Instant background checks FTW

Oh, and why would you call "fud" or BS on the guy, yet you dont even know the answer yourself and you had to come make a thread on calguns about it?

rromeo
08-13-2010, 8:48 AM
I just bought a S&W 642 in the parking lot of Walmart. I showed the seller my DROS paperwork from guns I've bought in the past few months, as he wanted reasonable proof I'm not prohibited.

motorhead
08-13-2010, 9:18 AM
hell, you used to be able to buy them out of the newspaper. go meet the seller, pay him, take the gun home. and they say communism is dead...

gunRfun
08-13-2010, 9:50 AM
I recall my uncles telling me about how it easy it was to get firearms and how much cheaper they were in the 80's.. 85.00 US Dollars for a SW Model 65??? Hard to believe.. but dam!!