PDA

View Full Version : Oil rig deaths and policy on knives.

YubaRiver
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
As knives can fall under similar policy to guns, here is a description
of the BP tragedy and how a policy limiting knives on board caused
more problems.

http://towmasters.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/we-dont-need-no-stinking-knives/

HunterJim
08-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I always carried a knife in a belt sheath when underway, a hearty "FOAD" to any authority seeking to prohibit that.

sailor jim

Droc101
08-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow, what moron thought up that policy? Whats next, carpenters are going to have a no hammer policy? I don't think that I have ever boated/sailed and not had to use my knife at some point.

Flopper
That's sad.

No excuse needed to post about knives or any other weapon in this forum, since it's the "Right to Keep and Bear ARMS" not "Right to Keep and Bear FIREARMS."

383green
That's disturbing. I always carry my Benchmade folder, except for when I show up for jury duty. I use it multiple times every day for practical tasks. It's even been pressed into service cutting birthday cake at work (bad idea... had to disassemble it to clean out the frosting!).

383green
08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
No excuse needed to post about knives or any other weapon in this forum, since it's the "Right to Keep and Bear ARMS" not "Right to Keep and Bear FIREARMS."

Agreed. This is entirely on-topic in my opinion.

Decoligny
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I carry this with my dog tags.

http://www.sog4less.com/myPhotos/KV-SOG-MICRON.jpg

Unless they do a physical search of my person they won't find it, it isn't even enough to set off a metal detector (don't ask me how I know).

Wherryj
08-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, what moron thought up that policy? Whats next, carpenters are going to have a no hammer policy? I don't think that I have ever boated/sailed and not had to use my knife at some point.

The more appropriate analogy would be for carpenters to have a no-goggles policy. Welders to have no protective equipment?

zhyla
08-12-2010, 1:43 PM
As much as I like guns, knives are useful more frequently in day to day life. Silly people.

Was the reasoning that more care is needed with knives on watercraft because of the rocking/instability? Or because oil riggers like to get drunk and fight?

DKlaw
08-12-2010, 2:17 PM
I was given a Leatherman Wave 6 years ago and except for a 2month stretch where my son "liberated" it, it has been in my pocket or on my belt every day! between the 2 blades and the pliers, I use the thing almost every day. I used the tiny screw driver blade to adjust the sights on my Ruger MK III last month.

That is a policy that needs to be changed or ignored!

thayne
08-12-2010, 2:49 PM
I was given a Leatherman Wave 6 years ago and except for a 2month stretch where my son "liberated" it, it has been in my pocket or on my belt every day! between the 2 blades and the pliers, I use the thing almost every day. I used the tiny screw driver blade to adjust the sights on my Ruger MK III last month.

That is a policy that needs to be changed or ignored!

I have my leatherman wave on my belt right now :D

Munk
08-12-2010, 3:05 PM
That's disturbing. I always carry my Benchmade folder, except for when I show up for jury duty. I use it multiple times every day for practical tasks. It's even been pressed into service cutting birthday cake at work (bad idea... had to disassemble it to clean out the frosting!).

I believe that you can carry a knife with a blade that is under 2.75 inches into a courthouse without issue from a legal standpoint. I think it even said so on the signs that are posted near the metal detectors in some places.

Jeff213
08-12-2010, 4:02 PM
Not to the Stockton court, they say even key chain knives, including my leatherman micra which I have attached to my car keys are banned..

Peter W Bush
08-12-2010, 4:27 PM
I believe that you can carry a knife with a blade that is under 2.75 inches into a courthouse without issue from a legal standpoint. I think it even said so on the signs that are posted near the metal detectors in some places.

What??? Try to walk into the Van Nuys courthouse with a knife and see what happens...

Shotgun Man
08-12-2010, 5:42 PM
We need to find a connection between Transocean's policy and the Brady Bunch or LCAV.

anthonyca
08-12-2010, 5:53 PM

The San Mateo court wouldn't even let meningitis with an Allen wrench forgot I had in my shirt pocket. I was coming from work.

Dr Rockso
08-12-2010, 6:04 PM
The San Mateo court wouldn't even let meningitis with an Allen wrench forgot I had in my shirt pocket. I was coming from work.

iphone?

Monte
08-12-2010, 6:06 PM
Well, it is British Petroleum, and you know how some Brits have been going on about "knife crime" lately.

ALSystems
08-12-2010, 7:17 PM
What??? Try to walk into the Van Nuys courthouse with a knife and see what happens...
The metal from an ordinary belt buckle sets of their metal detector alarm most of the time.

dantodd
08-13-2010, 12:29 AM
The metal from an ordinary belt buckle sets of their metal detector alarm most of the time.

That's why lawyers wear suspenders, saves time going to court.

WeekendWarrior
08-13-2010, 8:28 AM
Why would they bad the use of a common tool? Seems a little misguided to me. I carry a knife with me everywhere I go unless expressedly prohibited like on an airline.

gun toting monkeyboy
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I have gone through the checkpoints at many government buildings here in San Diego with my Kershaw 1620s. The blade is under 2 1/2 inches. They usually look at it in the tray of non-metal-detector friendly items and hand it right back to me. My brother, who usually carries something about an inch longer, has had to leave his at the checkpoints several times. As for the little screwdriver/knife thing I have on my keychain, it has NEVER even been looked at twice. Not even in courthouses. It is a useful tool, but would be less useful than bare hands as a weapon.

Shotgun Man
08-13-2010, 4:11 PM
Why would they bad the use of a common tool? Seems a little misguided to me. I carry a knife with me everywhere I go unless expressedly prohibited like on an airline.

I too would like to hear the justification for this corporate policy.

foxtrotuniformlima
08-13-2010, 6:07 PM
Most companies that ban pocket knifes at the work site do so because of injuries that have occurred when someone uses their knife instead of the proper tool for doing the job.

If they have an incident, they investigate the reason why the accident took place and then take steps to mitigate. These things happen when a worker reaches in his pocket for his knife instead of walking 20 feet to get a pry bar and then subsequently cuts himself when the knife breaks. And when a company has several accidents that all lead back to the same root cause, they make broad policies to prevent future accidents.

And when the owing company makes it a condition of you working there as a contractor, you say OK and leave it in the truck.

Tom Gresham
08-13-2010, 7:03 PM
The District Attorney of NY state is "shaking down" knife dealers and makers right now.

www.kniferights.org

It looks like the next wave of assault on RKBA.

Curtis
08-13-2010, 7:35 PM
When I was racing sail boats everyone on the crew was required to carry a knife. No exceptions. It was part of our safety equipment.

Was the reasoning that more care is needed with knives on watercraft because of the rocking/instability? Or because oil riggers like to get drunk and fight?

I'm guessing it was weapons issue for the company. I worked with a former rig worker who stated they were provided with every possible drink except alcohol.

Shotgun Man
08-13-2010, 8:14 PM
Most companies that ban pocket knifes at the work site do so because of injuries that have occurred when someone uses their knife instead of the proper tool for doing the job.

If they have an incident, they investigate the reason why the accident took place and then take steps to mitigate. These things happen when a worker reaches in his pocket for his knife instead of walking 20 feet to get a pry bar and then subsequently cuts himself when the knife breaks. And when a company has several accidents that all lead back to the same root cause, they make broad policies to prevent future accidents.

And when the owing company makes it a condition of you working there as a contractor, you say OK and leave it in the truck.

Wow, that's pretty stupid. They should just declare a policy on how and when to use a knife and do some training on the issue.

L84CABO
08-13-2010, 8:28 PM
We have this policy where I work. You aren't supposed to carry knives. Doesn't matter that we have three kitchens/break rooms in the building and each one is equipped with several knives including an 8 inch chef knife. It doesn't matter that just about everyone in the office has a pair of scissors at their desk with blades longer than most pocket knives. It' doesn't matter that we have all sorts of sharp objects in the shipping department--box cutters, screw drivers, crow bars, hammers, etc. It's completely ridiculous.

Big Jake
08-13-2010, 8:30 PM
I always carried a knife in a belt sheath when underway, a hearty "FOAD" to any authority seeking to prohibit that.

sailor jim

Well said!

Yankee Clipper
08-13-2010, 8:50 PM
Well, it is British Petroleum, and you know how some Brits have been going on about "knife crime" lately.
I know your reply is to appeal to our sense of humor but there are few 'Brits' working those rigs. As mentioned though, a knife at sea on either a movable or immovable water craft is a tool of convenience & life safety. There are other tools on those rigs that make better weapons if that's what BP's problem is.

YubaRiver
08-13-2010, 8:56 PM
The District Attorney of NY state is "shaking down" knife dealers and makers right now.

www.kniferights.org

It looks like the next wave of assault on RKBA.

Welcome Tom.

I listen to your show over the internet.

Californio
08-14-2010, 6:19 PM
When I was racing sail boats everyone on the crew was required to carry a knife. No exceptions. It was part of our safety equipment.

That is the truth, a fixed blade rigging knife. We once started an early morning race with no air and had a 3500 sq ft blooper up with a very lightweight sheet. The wind started to build and the sheet double wrapped on the Barient 35, smallest deck winch we had, instead of loosing a costly sail, twang and the sail was free.