PDA

View Full Version : Helm's House of Guns in Santa Rosa. Bad Experience.

judofraze
08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I've been in this place a few times. They are always nice but generally seem to give bad information that steers you towards buying whatever they have in stock. They are just trying to make a buck and that's fine, but I had a terrible experience with them today.

I have been trying to buy a Savage 110 BA in 300 win mag for a while and finally found one out of state that is willing to ship to Cali. I called up Helms and asked them how to go about doing the transfer and he told me verbatim "Why would I want to do that for you? I want to sell you a gun. I don't want to get involved with an out of state transfer."

I told him I would have bought the gun from him if he had one in stock or even any hope of ordering one. I thought one of the duties of FFL license holders was doing these transfers.

Very frustrating.

paul0660
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
They have to do PPT's, not out of state transfers. No idea why he doesn't charge you what he thinks it is worth and keep you as a customer.

casework
08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I thought Helm's closed and a new owner opened up a store up the street fom were Helm's used to be.

a1c
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Helm's has had a bad rep for years.

Try Independence Armory in Petaluma. Nice guys. They don't like to do transfers if the seller is a big online outlet, but if it's a PPT I'm sure they'll treat you right.

judofraze
08-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks all.

ZirconJohn
08-12-2010, 10:54 AM
There's a Dealer in Ukiah will help you out...

Just mention this post and... well, just mention this post for a special deal.

paul0660
08-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Unashamed promotion!

a1c
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
There's a Dealer in Ukiah will help you out...

Just mention this post and... well, just mention this post for a special deal.

Hey, those are pretty good and reasonable fees... I'll make sure to use your services if I score something from Gunbroker!

Zomgie
08-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Diamond Jim's is great. Bad news is that it burned down... good news it that it opened again two doors down! =D

a1c
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Diamond Jim's is great. Bad news is that it burned down... good news it that it opened again two doors down! =D

It burned down? When?

Gotta say, it always cracked me up to see a place that sells guns AND liquor.

jben
08-12-2010, 2:42 PM
Helm's closed like 6 months ago???

paul0660
08-12-2010, 2:45 PM
Last time I asked Diamond Jim's for an out of state transfer he quoted $107 plus Dros. This was the new, current, owners.

Zircon John is NOT Diamond Jim's.

GuyW
08-12-2010, 3:25 PM
... he told me verbatim "Why would I want to do that for you? I want to sell you a gun. I don't want to get involved with an out of state transfer."

Irrespective of his thoughts, this guy is too dumb to be in business...

a1c
08-12-2010, 3:50 PM
Last time I asked Diamond Jim's for an out of state transfer he quoted $107 plus Dros. This was the new, current, owners.

Zircon John is NOT Diamond Jim's.

First and only time I went to Diamond Jim's to get some .223, the guy told me he had Federal and Wolf. I hesitated for a minute, looking at the price difference. The guy asks me what it's for. "An AR", I said. "You know it's illegal in California", he says.

Whatever. I rolled my eyes, got a box of Federal, and never went back.

BigDogatPlay
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I had to double check and make sure this wasn't a zombie post. Helm's closed many, many months ago. Schmidt & Titoni Firearms (http://www.sandtfirearms.com/) picked up most of the business assets and inventory, then opened up down the street in a different location. They are good guys, generally, and deserve support.

That said... S&T does not do anything with EBR. Don't even bother to go and ask. They don't. I've also been in S&T and personally heard them refuse to order an off roster for a LEO. While that might be noble in one sense, in a pure sense it's not right. Haven't asked them about interstate transfers.

If you want EBR at a brick and mortar FFL in Sonoma County then talk to:

** Gabe at Sportsman's Arms in Petaluma
** Wael at Independence Armory in Petaluma

Both are 100% solid and know their stuff. Independence will definitely do out of state transfers. Not sure about Sportsman's but I would guess they would knowing Gabe and his commitment.

Markell's in Santa Rosa is also pretty solid. He has an AW license and deals primarily with law enforcement so LEOs wanting off roster or a department approved AW can deal in confidence with him. He also has a great attitude and will order just about anything for the rest of us in my experience.

judofraze
08-13-2010, 4:36 PM
I had to double check and make sure this wasn't a zombie post. Helm's closed many, many months ago. Schmidt & Titoni Firearms (http://www.sandtfirearms.com/) picked up most of the business assets and inventory, then opened up down the street in a different location. They are good guys, generally, and deserve support.

That said... S&T does not do anything with EBR. Don't even bother to go and ask. They don't. I've also been in S&T and personally heard them refuse to order an off roster for a LEO. While that might be noble in one sense, in a pure sense it's not right. Haven't asked them about interstate transfers.

If you want EBR at a brick and mortar FFL in Sonoma County then talk to:

** Gabe at Sportsman's Arms in Petaluma
** Wael at Independence Armory in Petaluma

Both are 100% solid and know their stuff. Independence will definitely do out of state transfers. Not sure about Sportsman's but I would guess they would knowing Gabe and his commitment.

Markell's in Santa Rosa is also pretty solid. He has an AW license and deals primarily with law enforcement so LEOs wanting off roster or a department approved AW can deal in confidence with him. He also has a great attitude and will order just about anything for the rest of us in my experience.

Sorry for the mistake with the name. If you do a google search it comes up as Helm's with their current phone number.

That is not the only bad experience I've had their though. I was in the store 3 days ago and the owner was either lying or just giving incorrect information to a guy about his Remmy 700's. He was authoritatively stating product details that were utterly false while trying to close the sale.

The guys seem very friendly but that really put me off.

audiophil2
08-13-2010, 6:13 PM
Helm's was a bout 5 blocks from my home. Went there once and never returned due to their poor customer service skills and "priced out of logic" guns.

I went to Sportsmans Arms and more frequently Suron Enterprises in Guerneville. Suron has a better shop in his home that most FFLs in the bay area and conversation is quality.

BigDogatPlay
08-16-2010, 1:14 PM
Suron is good, best prices around to order through Gallery of Guns. I picked up my O/U through him at a steal of a price. Great service and a very friendly guy to deal with.

That said, last time I talked with him, he thought OLLs were a legal minefield that he didn't want to walk through.

zinfull
08-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Suron will also not do out of sate transfer. I have done about 15 before some pone screwed up the process and he raised his price from $40 to $150. Really nice guy and a great person to order new guns from.
jerry