PDA

View Full Version : greetings from an SF fng

teeth
08-12-2010, 8:43 AM
Hey all-

I stumbled upon this forum trying to educate myself about responsible gun operation and ownership in this great state. I am a total gun noob but after a little lurking, I quickly recognized the large wealth of info contained here. So, thanks in advance for everyone's investment! Hopefully one day I will be able to contribute on a meaningful level.

I have many hobbies (motorcycling, cycling, camping, reading the internet for hours and hours since I'm currently unemployed..) and I am excited to be getting into a new one. I realize the value of the communities that surround different "scenes" and hope to support the businesses that share this view.

A couple questions out of the gate:

What are some independently owned bay area businesses that people suggest for training courses and retail sales?

Any solid wisdom you'd like to impart on a soon-to-be handgun owner?

thanks!

69Mach1
08-12-2010, 8:43 AM
Welcome to the forum teeth.

Droc101
08-12-2010, 9:06 AM
Welcome teeth,
There are many great resources out there for learning the basics of responsible ownership and handling.
Places to shoot:
reedsindoorrange.com
www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/
www.sunnyvalegunclub.com
Places to buy:
I have to put in a plug for my dads shop :) Ralston Rods tackle and archery in scotts valley, order online at galleryofguns.com or see what we have available on location) 831-440-0700

Once again, Welcome and good luck. :)

Wicked Pete
08-12-2010, 9:19 AM
Welcome, there is a wealth of information in the many forums. Unlike some areas of the state, S.F. is not friendly to the gun owner. Good luck, hope to see you in some of the threads.

bsg
08-12-2010, 10:42 AM
welcome to the forum; i can't help you with the bay area.

Super Spy
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Many of the gun ranges I frequent (mostly East Bay) offer courses, and I'd suggest finding one convenient to you and checking out one of their Noob classes, they usually supply all the gear you need and it would be a great way to learn the basics. I do enjoy the run and gun stuff at Richmond Rod and Gun but you'll need your own gun first. Take a class, learn to shoot a .22 pistol, then find a range that rents pistols and buy a couple of boxes and rent a few different guns to try. Do this several times in different calibers each time. You may find that you like shooting a .45 more than a .40 I'd start with 9mm and work my way up. I'm partial to Glock's and I think they make a fine reliable pistol for a Noob. My next pistol will be a CZ-75, you will have difficulty finding a range that rents one of those.

Ranges that rent guns that I know of would be Jackson Arms (South SF) Not much selection of rentals but close to you. Reed's in San Jose, and Target Masters in Milpitas have better selection of rentals but are a bit farther away.

I probably frequent J&R Sports in Livermore more than any other gun store, they have good prices on FFL Xfer's (mention CalGuns for a discount) and are friendly. Irvington Arms in Fremont is decent too. Castro Valley Guns just re-opened as Bullseye and while they are close to me they are very high on FFL Xfer's and don't have a lot of selection in guns. If you want to buy a Glock join GSSF first and they will send you a discount coupon that's substantial. Bullseye does honor the GSSF coupons. I was used to the old school store that used to have lots of good used guns (hard to find now it seems) and the staff was more good old boys and the new store seems more tactical and less sportsman. Since I'm all for shooting and eating poor defenseless animals a sportsman oriented store has it's appeal.

Go take yourself a first time shooter class and get your feet wet :D