PDA

View Full Version : Transfer to deployed Soldier?

Glasshat
05-01-2006, 3:27 PM
Is there a way to transfer an off-list lower to a relative who is currently deployed and won't be back for several months?

Jeff Rambo
05-01-2006, 3:32 PM
Not unless he is your spouse, child, parent, or grand parent.

glen avon
05-01-2006, 3:48 PM
maybe if you get his power of attorney.

prkprisoner
05-01-2006, 3:58 PM
if he is your brother you can give a lower your parent then that parent can give to their son/ your brother.

brando
05-01-2006, 6:28 PM
I tried this already and the answer is "no." I tried to get in on a .50 BMG before the ban but was stuck in the Sandbox.

Rascal
05-01-2006, 9:46 PM
I tried this already and the answer is "no." I tried to get in on a .50 BMG before the ban but was stuck in the Sandbox.

You should have been able to do this as long as it was transferred to you, by your spouse or parent, before the DEC 31 2004 deadline.
This is not a straw purchase, but a gift from parent or spouse. As long as they are eligable and your are eligable, it is OK to do. They would have had to purchase the long gun and DROS it, then they CAN transfer it to you.
If you had owned it before the ban date and they sent you the paper work for you to fill out and send back to them to send to DOJ, you should have been OK, since you are a resident of the State, no matter where you are at the time.

Glasshat
05-02-2006, 8:02 AM
Thanks for your help. It sounds like it can be done although the process will be a little cumbersome. Which is no problem, he deserves it (and more!).