PDA

View Full Version : FUD at Turners

Donny1
08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
So I picked up a pistol today at Turners in Chino Hills. Going through the safety demo he tells me about how California law says I cannot carry ammo and the pistol in the same container, even goes as far as to tell me they are to be kept in different areas of the vehicle and it is illegal to carry loaded mags. Of course I said nothing because I want him to release my pistol to me. So then he notices I'm on a motorcycle and says, how are you going to transport the pistol on that. I tell him I have only a small saddlebag and it will be locked inside. When I leave he says, can I get you anything else? Do you need any ammo?

Now where did he think I was gonna carry that?

Letitrip
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Funny ****!

I would have played with him and said, yeah get me a whole pellet of of ammo. And once he started rining it up I would have said, "Oh never mind, you just told me that it would be illegal as ..........."

Munk
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
You could have carried the ammo in your jacket pockets... I'm sure that would have satisfied his FUD addled mind. Another classic I just heard from some turner's employees, was that 10 round mags are made EXCLUSIVELY for CA customers, as CA was the only state in the nation that has magazine capacity restrictions. (less egregious, but more retarded FUD in my opinion).

lorax3
08-11-2010, 11:16 PM
When people try to correct me on firearm laws I ask them to cite the section. I keep copies of both the CA Penal and CA Vehicle code in my car at all times. :D

Xterra Rider
08-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I think gun stores are really just trying to error on the side of caution. They dont want to face any lawsuits by giving advice that could get someone arrested.

bjl333
08-11-2010, 11:41 PM
1 + 1 = 3 .... Some people don't just connect with themselves !!!

BTW ... Did you get the SIG ???

PsychGuy274
08-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I think gun stores are really just trying to error on the side of caution. They dont want to face any lawsuits by giving advice that could get someone arrested.

There's erring on the side of caution and then there's spreading blatantly false information.

False info: Carrying ammo in the same container as a firearm is illegal.

Erring on the side of caution: Carrying ammo in the same container as a firearm is not illegal, but I would suggest that you do not do it to avoid unnecessary hassle if a LEO isn't familiar with firearm laws.

Donny1
08-12-2010, 6:47 AM
1 + 1 = 3 .... Some people don't just connect with themselves !!!

BTW ... Did you get the SIG ???

No, something I PPT'd from a Calgunner.

PoofNoEyebrows
08-12-2010, 7:17 AM
I bought a SIG at the Turners in Signal Hill last week and the guy at the counter doing his safety speil was spot on. maybe they should think about writing up a company wide training policy to keep this type of thing from happening.

VegasND
08-12-2010, 8:01 AM
Tell him to go read the FAQ on the CHP site; the question was about visiting but the answer is germaine:
If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Decoligny
08-12-2010, 8:43 AM

The problem is that they are trying to give advice in the first place.

Either they know the law, and can back up what they are saying with PC and case law, they know a little and have a copy of the PC handy for review, or they do not know the law and they should not say anything at all.

99.9% of them fall into the third category.

Soldier415
08-12-2010, 8:50 AM
Erring on the side of caution: Carrying ammo in the same container as a firearm is not illegal, but I would suggest that you do not do it to avoid unnecessary hassle if a LEO isn't familiar with firearm laws.

This is how we explain it.

pullnshoot25
08-12-2010, 9:11 AM
When people try to correct me on firearm laws I ask them to cite the section. I keep copies of both the CA Penal and CA Vehicle code in my car at all times. :D

Oh yes, I have been there for that.

Theseus
08-12-2010, 9:38 AM
Turners commonly deals in continually perpetuating the distribution of FUD. I just (when I used to be able to actually buy/sell/trade firearms) would just nod and say "Oh, cool! I didn't know that." Trying to educate them is as useless as an anti.

Wherryj
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
So I picked up a pistol today at Turners in Chino Hills. Going through the safety demo he tells me about how California law says I cannot carry ammo and the pistol in the same container, even goes as far as to tell me they are to be kept in different areas of the vehicle and it is illegal to carry loaded mags. Of course I said nothing because I want him to release my pistol to me. So then he notices I'm on a motorcycle and says, how are you going to transport the pistol on that. I tell him I have only a small saddlebag and it will be locked inside. When I leave he says, can I get you anything else? Do you need any ammo?

Now where did he think I was gonna carry that?

Perhaps Turner's Motto is: Never let one's perceptions of what is legal interfere with a sale.

paul0660
08-12-2010, 11:08 AM
So that's the way it's going to be. Thick as thieves.

longarmshortlegs
08-12-2010, 11:16 AM
You should have told him that you'll be back with your side-car!

Theseus
08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
There's erring on the side of caution and then there's spreading blatantly false information.

False info: Carrying ammo in the same container as a firearm is illegal.

Just for those that don't know, I believe the origination of this belief is U.S.C. 18.1.44.926.

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger
compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Basically, if transporting firearms interstate in the manner described above, one is not subject to the different local ordinances governing transport or possession of firearms.