PDA

View Full Version : Upon Purchasing my Gun

Bryan.40
08-11-2010, 9:28 PM
I know I need proof of residency and all that
But also, do I need to purchase a safe on the spot?
Are there any other fees, demonstrations, fees or protocol I need to know about?

Librarian
08-11-2010, 9:38 PM
Long answer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California) at the Wiki.

INJUNTOM
08-11-2010, 9:49 PM
Shouldn't have to show proof of a safe, but may have to purchase a gun lock from them if the gun doesn't come with one. Kind of a grey area if you supply your own lock as far as what they will let you do.

Also make sure that if you use a car registration for proof of residency that it matches your I.D.

Stuck me once when I showed the registration of the truck I was driving as being registered at my business address. Luckily it was on purchase and I merely had to drive my other truck to pick up and show proof.

mcholak
08-12-2010, 6:14 AM
For one gun I bought I had to get a new lock, even though I already had a few. MY FFL said he had gotten hassled and would rather I just buy the lock for $10. He needed a copy of the receipt, so I bought one on ebay then promptly sold it again. You could just hit up Big 5 or Wal-Mart and return it the next day. The next time I bought a guy I had a safe and just had to sign an affidavit saying I had a safe and I think providing the model number. It's absurd, but welcome to CA!

Bryan.40
08-13-2010, 5:00 PM
Damn that's deep

INJUNTOM
08-13-2010, 5:27 PM
Damn that's deep
Not as deep as the safe you thought you were going to have to buy.. :D

Bryan.40
08-13-2010, 6:14 PM
Haha. Very true. Thanks for the info

Big Jake
08-13-2010, 6:18 PM
If you sign th ecertification that you have a gun safe then you will not need to purchase a lock. FYI, most hanguns in California are sold with locks!

Eddie1965
08-13-2010, 6:19 PM
Most modern, new guns come with locks from the factory. But unfortunately some are not Cali approved.

Librarian
08-13-2010, 7:26 PM
If you sign th ecertification that you have a gun safe then you will not need to purchase a lock. FYI, most hanguns in California are sold with locks!

Except that because of Fedlaw 18 USC 922 (z), and the recalcitrance of the BATFE, we cannot use gun safes to satisfy Fedlaw (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws) for handguns. For rifles and shotguns, we're good.

toby
08-13-2010, 7:47 PM
You must buy a lock $5-$8 or show proof of one within 30 days and you will need to bring that lock in to get your gun and don't forget your Cal hand gun safety card? and this crap changes from time to time?