PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Gun stores in Socal

ak47762
08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't know if its because im just some young lookin guy, but damn...

Everyone gun store in Socal, besides the one in La Mesa that moved, and the one in Santee is absolutely horrible...

Bad customer service, basically told me and my friend to "get the fuk out"

Apparently, our money and politeness aren't worth anything?:rolleyes::confused:

I am going to stick to Big5 and The Santee Indoor range, BEST service there, just outstanding:D

GlennG31
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
You need to move up north a little bit and visit the shops around Orange County. There are some great shops here: Riflegear in Costa Mesa, T&A Armory in Santa Ana, OC Armory in Laguna Hills, Field Time Sports & Guns in Westminster, and Straightline Tactical in Anaheim are some great gun shops to visit if you value great customer service. I'm sure others will chime in on some other great shops, but the ones I listed are the ones I've actually had the pleasure of visiting.

ak47762
08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah im in SanDiego all the FUDDS up here, i don't even think i could do a FFL transfer through them... :(

stitchnicklas
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
in riverside area you have turners,bullseyesports,and centerfire...centerfire is a dud now,won't ever go back there

Cali-Shooter
08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
You need to move up north a little bit and visit the shops around Orange County. There are some great shops here: Riflegear in Costa Mesa, T&A Armory in Santa Ana, OC Armory in Laguna Hills, Field Time Sports & Guns in Westminster, and Straightline Tactical in Anaheim are some great gun shops to visit if you value great customer service. I'm sure others will chime in on some other great shops, but the ones I listed are the ones I've actually had the pleasure of visiting.

+1 on all your picks. Riflegear, T&A, and OC Armory are among my favorites.

glbtrottr
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
oc armory

INJUNTOM
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I've had experiences where they pretty much ignored me when It was apparent I wasn't buying on the spot. I guess it's not ok to look around before you buy.

The next gun shop was nicer and got my business... I've bought 5 guns there in the last year and a half...

ChrisTKHarris
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
OP what type of questions and comments are you directing to the sales counter?

"Yo bro, I need a gat so I can blast fools" <-- Hopefully nothing along these lines, otherwise the rudeness you've been receiving would seem appropriate.

zeke2517
08-11-2010, 10:55 PM
If you wore a sign that said,
"I spend $3000 a year on guns and ammo.
I am a Valued customer"
do you think they would treat you any different?

chaunbot
08-11-2010, 10:58 PM

"Yo bro, I need a gat so I can blast fools"

Or maybe he had one of those pro obamba t shirts

HotRails
08-11-2010, 11:04 PM

"Yo bro, I need a gat so I can blast fools" <-- Hopefully nothing along these lines, otherwise the rudeness you've been receiving would seem appropriate.

or.. Iss diss dee AK boollit dat can penetrate boollit prroof vests?

Napalm Bulldog
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
If you wore a sign that said,
"I spend $3000 a year on guns and ammo.
I am a Valued customer"
do you think they would treat you any different?

$3k is that it? Damn what bracket am I in? I have spent over $2k in the past 60 days.:confused:

INJUNTOM
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
$3k is that it? Damn what bracket am I in? I have spent over $2k in the past 60 days.:confused:

You're a whale :D

audihenry
08-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Everyone gun store in Socal, besides the one in La Mesa that moved, and the one in Santee is absolutely horrible...

Bad customer service, basically told me and my friend to "get the fuk out"

I am going to stick to Big5 and The Santee Indoor range, BEST service there, just outstanding:D

Pretty much the truth.

iareConfusE
08-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Yep. Had the same problem shopping at a couple gun stores even in Orange County. I'm a young guy, and I definitely look younger than I am, and the few times that I've walked in to these gun shops, I almost always get neglected by a select few sales people, simply because they don't think I'll be spending any money with them.

I would definitely recommend RifleGear to anyone around here, as they seem to always have friendly sales people. I email them pretty often with lots of questions too, and they never hesitate to answer them, or exhibit a condescending attitude in their responses.

PsychGuy274
08-12-2010, 12:08 AM
The only two places in San Diego I have gotten "attitude" due to my age have been Socal Gun and American Shooting Center. At Socal Gun they were very cold, rude and stand-offish. Nearly refusing to answer questions concerning stripped lowers and gave very terse answers. ASC rangemasters are kind of rude. However, their sales associates for firearms and pretty nice.

I don't patronize those businesses anymore. Turner's in Kearny Mesa has been incredibly awesome and helpful. Same with Discount Gun Mart if you're dealing with Jaybe directly.

Colt-45
08-12-2010, 12:27 AM
OP- do you dress like a "gangsta" ?

Some stores don't like to be associated with those type of customers.

jermzzzzzzz
08-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Don't forget ADES in orange!, one of the best in socal.

ChrisTKHarris
08-12-2010, 12:54 AM
The only two places in San Diego I have gotten "attitude" due to my age have been Socal Gun and American Shooting Center. At Socal Gun they were very cold, rude and stand-offish. Nearly refusing to answer questions concerning stripped lowers and gave very terse answers. ASC rangemasters are kind of rude. However, their sales associates for firearms and pretty nice.

I don't patronize those businesses anymore. Turner's in Kearny Mesa has been incredibly awesome and helpful. Same with Discount Gun Mart if you're dealing with Jaybe directly.

I went to Turners and I was VERY disappointed in their prices, selection and service. I was expecting more from all the great stories I've seen on CG. :rolleyes:

Discount Gun Mart is good, as is California Police Supply on El Cajon.

iareConfusE
08-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Don't forget ADES in orange!, one of the best in socal.

One of the reps at Ade's was someone I could tell that was judging me by my age the instant I walked through the door. Also had a generally condescending demeanor towards me until I whipped out the checkbook.

IsaacGlass
08-12-2010, 1:01 AM

+1 :thumbsup:

PsychGuy274
08-12-2010, 1:47 AM
I went to Turners and I was VERY disappointed in their prices, selection and service. I was expecting more from all the great stories I've seen on CG. :rolleyes:

Discount Gun Mart is good, as is California Police Supply on El Cajon.

I'm surprised. I usually only buy when they're having sales and whatnot to make sure I'm getting reasonable prices.

Also, when I was buying my P95 I told him that I wanted it. I started filling out my 4473 and the sales clerk came up to me and said, "You know what? This gun was on sale about a month ago so I'm going to go ahead and give you the sale price." I thought that was cool seeing as I hadn't even said anything about it and he just comes up and knocks $50 off.

ChrisTKHarris
08-12-2010, 1:48 AM
I'm surprised. I usually only buy when they're having sales and whatnot to make sure I'm getting reasonable prices.

Also, when I was buying my P95 I told him that I wanted it. I started filling out my 4473 and the sales clerk came up to me and said, "You know what? This gun was on sale about a month ago so I'm going to go ahead and give you the sale price." I thought that was cool seeing as I hadn't even said anything about it and he just comes up and knocks $50 off.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I dunno I just wasn't impressed when I went. But hey if you have good experiences, by all means keep gettin' them deals!

PsychGuy274
08-12-2010, 1:58 AM
Wow, that's pretty awesome. I dunno I just wasn't impressed when I went. But hey if you have good experiences, by all means keep gettin' them deals!

Haha, definitely. Everyone's gonna have different experiences at different places. I hate some gun shops that my buddies swear by and vice versa.

Coltlover
08-12-2010, 3:28 AM
Straightline Tactical+1

jshoebot
08-12-2010, 3:40 AM
If you're in San Diego, you gotta go check out Parallax Tactical in mira mesa. Nicest guys in the world and great service!

Seesm
08-12-2010, 3:55 AM
Op if I saw a picture of you I can guess what a older sales guy would think of you or a younger one would think...
I have been doing sales for years and it cracks me up to see other people "measure up" a customer...

I have watched it and I just go over nice and take care of whoever they are... Funny I have made some good money from people other sales people walk on.

You can not judge a book by its cover... I can however figure who some is after just a few minutes of speaking to them.

Rob454
08-12-2010, 4:53 AM

I know it doesn't happen but the way you talk should be inconsequential to how you are treated. Personally if i owned a gun store I could really care less if you wore a pink tutu and barely spoke english, if you passed a background check and you have the money to purchase a item by all means get it. Lets face it a lot of gun stores have very rude counter people. Sure its changing cause they are realizing that 20-30 repeat customers cannot keep you in business and the new first time buyer is the bulk of your sales but there are still a lot of gun stores who treat people like crap. I wouldnt care if you are young middle age or old you pass the check and you got the money you can buy whatever you wish. If I have a gun store Im in it for the money and making people happy with their decisions, and I would put aside my beliefs, likes and dislikes and treat it as it shoudl be. A business and know that not every customer that walks in is gonna be a mid 40 suit and tie WASP banker.

As for my experiences Ammo Bros, Ades and Riflegear ( two thumbs up to Riflegear) On target and just a day ago Turners Fountain Valley. ( and its the first time I went to get something at Turners in about 6 years or so)

manuelcardenas77
08-12-2010, 5:52 AM
Annies get your gun in Corona is my favorite.

Dingotech
08-12-2010, 7:27 AM
Yo, ak47762,

Check out Ironsights in Oceanside. Lot's of younger guys buy and shoot there, many being marines. Decent gun selection and good prices.

Fine Firearms is the La Mesa Store that recently moved. Great people. Alex Imports was also forced to move by the same ***-weasel landlords and I don't know where they ended up.

phkk
08-12-2010, 7:28 AM
One of the reps at Ade's was someone I could tell that was judging me by my age the instant I walked through the door. Also had a generally condescending demeanor towards me until I whipped out the checkbook.

Are you Asian nationality?

cpt_majestic
08-12-2010, 7:53 AM
Horrible store= Daves Magnum Range in San Bernardino, the dude is a dbag. His attitude is just a joke, I'm surprised the place is still in business.

pullnshoot25
08-12-2010, 8:04 AM
Horrible store = SoCalGuns. That store could burn and I wouldn't shed a tear.
Great Store= CGM in Solana Beach.

sniper4usmc
08-12-2010, 8:25 AM
Horrible store=THE GRANT BOYS in Costa Mesa,Newport Blvd
I special ordered 44mag Raging bull and paid cash,but they ordered taurus Model: 44SS6 instead,I ask for cash refund, but they said I have to wait for manager,and will get Company Check refund not cash refund...told me to comeback in 2 days and pick up refund...WTF

Black Majik
08-12-2010, 8:52 AM
We used to have some real duds here in OC, until all the OLL stores started to pop up. The stores that have been great are all pretty new: OC Armory, T&A Armory, Riflegear and Ade's (even better now that Pat is gone).

The duds of Orange County are/were: The Stockade, Fowlers Gunroom, J&J Armory (I think all of Calguns have forgotten about them since I never hear anyone mention them anymore), Grant Boys (more neg than positive, at least the owner finally allows CCW after years of convincing), and anyone remember Flag Guns in La Habra :rolleyes:

evidens83
08-12-2010, 9:07 AM
+1 for Iron Sights and Faith Armory. Salesmen there are GTG even towards a bald headed tatted up young kid like me ;)

SupraMiggs
08-12-2010, 9:15 AM

I agree. No offense to Stockade and Fowler's fans but i thought their customer service was not the best.

Plisk
08-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Why would that matter?

prob
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree. No offense to Stockade and Fowler's fans but i thought their customer service was not the best.

I've always been treated very well at both the Stockade and Fowler's.

Ub3rDorK
08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
i always go to Faith Armory in temecula...and recently experienced riflegear (excellent). Ive been to a few and yeah. im 26 and i get looked down upon as well when i go into certain ones in my area. Oh well, they lost my business.

Physical Graffiti
08-12-2010, 10:54 AM

That was Pat, and he is no longer employed with us. I'm 23 myself and know exactly how it feels to be pre-judged by my age, and I'm certain you would not get the same treatment if you came back in.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with being Asian, as, if I had to guess, I'd say almost 40% of our clientele are Asian. Pat was just Pat and he judged EVERYBODY. There are reasons he is no longer employed with us.

I do my best to make sure everyone is attended to and feels welcome in the shop. I've been on the other side of the counter, and as a younger guy myself, I know exactly how it feels to be marginalized and ignored when shopping for firearms. Most places treat me like I'm some punk who just wants to oogle some "sweet M4's" that I saw on Counter Strike or Call Of Duty. It sucks when people refuse to take you seriously based on prejudice and I would not wish such experiences on anyone.

Steve Converse
Sales
Ade's Gun Shop

toby
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Not a whole lot of tacticool but this place does cater to law enforcement and everyone else, really friendly and prices are pretty good, owner is top notch.""The Shootist"" in Old town Murrieta.

Ub3rDorK
08-12-2010, 6:01 PM
my experiences with the shootist, is if you arent law enforcement or whatever profile they want you to be to shop there....you dont get helped. Everything i asked it seemed "inconvenient" to them or like i didnt know what i was talking about. Obviously i dont know everything about firearms and accy's but still...

in my line of work, it doesnt matter what clothes you wear or what nationality or what you ask for in my store....youll get the same answers and level of customer service.

Greg F.
08-12-2010, 7:56 PM
While I've had mostly good experiences with Turner's in W.Covina, I prefer to spend my money in family owned stores like Bain & Davis in San Gabriel (they also do all my gunsmithing) & Gunslingers in Glendora (Jeff -the store owner is also a Calguns member). Anyone have any experience good or bad with Enterprise Arms in Irwindale? Are they the same store that used to be on Garfield in Alhambra years ago? I think the worst shop I ever went to was Lock, Stock, & Barrel. I think it was in Rosemead? The woman who owned it was very unfriendly, even rude to me the couple of times I went in there. Needless to say I'm not unhappy she went out of business.

River Jack
08-12-2010, 8:42 PM
Good store = Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside

Williexcited
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Worst= turners San Marcos very rude and they talk down to you.
Bad= El Cajon Gun Exchange. If your not over 50, know every episode of leave it to beaver, (guy stopped helping me to talk to about it) already know them and buying guns they like then your out of luck.

OK=discount gun on morena. Good selection good prices, but know what you want before you get there, they will not help much if you dont.

Good= Royal Loan, limited selection very friendly and very good prices
Good= Duncans guns works, can get super busy on the weekends
GOOD= Parallax Tactical. There is not a better shop (EBR mainly) in San Diego and is very bad for my wallet. They even will let you build your ar while your there while using there tools :eek: :D. They just got there lic to sell guns so there is not much other than ar stuff otherwise I would never go to another guns store in San Diego.

SPUTTER
08-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Advice to the OP: Next time take the sticker off your New Era cap. :p

jaustin612
08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
+1 for Faith armory in Temecula, small store but they're awesome and will handle anything as long as it's legal, very EBR friendly.

I've heard good things about The Shootist in Murrieta, haven't been there yet though.

+1 for Cold War Shooters, Little pricey, but good selection, good people as well.

faterikcartman
08-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Iron Sights in O'side. Can't recommend them highly enough.

API
08-18-2010, 6:52 PM
During the past couple of years I've bought a couple of hand guns from Faith Armory in Temecula plus supplies and ammo. Have always been treated well. I've spent a little money at the Shootist in Murrieta but they didn't seem all that friendly. As far as Turners (especially Corona)... they are a bunch of smart asses that can kiss my butt.

Spiggy
08-18-2010, 7:15 PM

+1, They have excellent service. Sometimes it makes up for their pricey items. But they definitely have excellent service.

maxima
08-18-2010, 11:46 PM
We used to have some real duds here in OC, until all the OLL stores started to pop up. The stores that have been great are all pretty new: OC Armory, T&A Armory, Riflegear and Ade's (even better now that Pat is gone).

The duds of Orange County are/were: The Stockade, Fowlers Gunroom, J&J Armory (I think all of Calguns have forgotten about them since I never hear anyone mention them anymore), Grant Boys (more neg than positive, at least the owner finally allows CCW after years of convincing), and anyone remember Flag Guns in La Habra :rolleyes:

Can not agree more on a few duds. I was curious why a lot of my friends complain The Stockade and Fowlers Gunroom, until one day I went those places.

turbogg
08-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Riflegear, T&A, and OC Armory are among my favorites.

OC Armory is awesome.

shortround1
08-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I've been to Fowlers only once, it seemed every gun there was exactly $100 more than Turners.

dr_communist
08-19-2010, 2:25 AM
in my area

excellent-Karls Hardware
Good- The Gun Shop
Terrible-Santa Fe Guns

GUN FREAK
08-19-2010, 8:12 AM
Buy online. Munch better.

iareConfusE
08-19-2010, 8:56 AM
That was Pat, and he is no longer employed with us. I'm 23 myself and know exactly how it feels to be pre-judged by my age, and I'm certain you would not get the same treatment if you came back in.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with being Asian, as, if I had to guess, I'd say almost 40% of our clientele are Asian. Pat was just Pat and he judged EVERYBODY. There are reasons he is no longer employed with us.

I do my best to make sure everyone is attended to and feels welcome in the shop. I've been on the other side of the counter, and as a younger guy myself, I know exactly how it feels to be marginalized and ignored when shopping for firearms. Most places treat me like I'm some punk who just wants to oogle some "sweet M4's" that I saw on Counter Strike or Call Of Duty. It sucks when people refuse to take you seriously based on prejudice and I would not wish such experiences on anyone.

Steve Converse
Sales
Ade's Gun Shop

Thanks. I've spoken to you a couple times and you did in fact make the experience a lot more pleasant. It was very tense speaking to Pat at times, both on the phone and in-store but it was a relief when I was able to speak to someone that was my age and not feel judged.

Oh and yeah I'm Asian.

SeanCasey
08-19-2010, 9:18 AM
I haven't been to that many gun stores, but generally had bad experience at Evans Gunsmithing. Pretty much if your 1911's starting price was $1500 it wasn't even worthy of being called a 1911.

Outside of that Turners in Chino Hills has been awesome for me, so has Ammo Bros and Riflegear.

In San Diego I have had positive experience at the Turners in Kearny Mesa and everyone has been very nice at P2K (I wish LA/OC/IE had an indoor 100yd rifle range like they do)

ak47762
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
OP- do you dress like a "gangsta" ?

Some stores don't like to be associated with those type of customers.

If you think dark clean jeans, with a white button up shirt all fitted nice is:D

CP562
08-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm a 32 year old guy, no tattoos but I wear a shaved head and goatee. I'm also seen from time to time in a dodgers hat.

Not that I actually give a rat's "tail" what anyone here, in a gun shop, or anywhere, thinks of my appearance during leisure hours...but I've been treated well at most every gun store I've ever set foot in. Maybe it's the way I speak to people, the manner in which I carry myself...or maybe it's the gold card that I never leave home without. :D

Good experiences at Ammo Bros, Straightline Tactical, Riflegear, and T&A.

kmullins
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
To the OP - sorry to hear about your experience. But because of the way some of the stores like this treat some people, I refuse to buy from them or even step foot into their establishment.

And to the other people in this thread asking about his "appearance" or attire of choice, COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. I work in a customer service based industry and cannot beleive the way these gunshops treat customers. They must really not want to sell anything or establish any customer relationships. From the second the customer steps into your place of business, as a retail employee you should be asking them if they need anything and being available, not making it so they feel uncomfortable or like they are a bother asking a question. And all the old timers who think just because your young you don't have any knowledge of what your talking about, get a grip. Just because I'm not old as dirt and twice as dusty doesn't mean I don't know my way around a firearm.

pacifico23
08-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Turners in Van Nuys. God I gate those guys. Was looking for a new sig and a buis for an ar. I called to see if they had a buis, but I knew they had the sig I was looking for. 1st call... Put on hold for 6 damn minutes. Called back seeing if they forgot was put on hold for 5 more minutes. Called back 3rd time, put on hold 3 min then hung up to call back and talk to manager. Get put on hold for manager and then gets picked up only to hang up on me. !!!!! Unbilievable I have had better and quicker customer support calling a stupid walmart!! Needless to say I called back to ***** them out and ending up going to a store in Ventura county.

asgalindez
08-19-2010, 6:56 PM
Never had any problems at any of the gun shops in San Diego...even El Cajon Gun Exchange. I get treated well whether I'm dressed nice or look like a scrub (when I hit the gun shops right after work).

My usual rounds are:
California Police Supply
American Shooting Center
Discount Gun Mart
SoCal Guns
Turners Kearny Mesa

Also been to Royal Loan and Iron Sights. Good service there too.

I always wonder...what are you guys doing to get such crappy service??? I just go in and start looking around, usually get asked if I need help within 5 minutes of entering. I just tell them "just looking for now." If I see something that catches my interest I ask to see it. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't like it, tell them "not for me" and hand it back.

Then again, I DO visit the gun shops frequently. I've bought at least one firearm at every shop I named. Maybe they just recognize me by now....

NiteQwill
08-19-2010, 7:19 PM
Worst gun store are the idiots at Fowlers Gun Room.

I couldn't believe my ears when the bald guy at the counter suggested to a AR-newb he remove the bullet button and install a regular magazine release "because no one will care and those retards on Calguns will pay to defend you."

WTF!?!?!?!

Calguns does not defend cases with color...

Ugh, I immediately left and pulled the guy aside as he left the store and told him what is/is not legal. Sadly enough, he replied that he bought a "magnet" for his BB rifle since it is easier to take off "if a cop passes by" and he will use that with the PMAGs he just bought in Nevada.

Christ people...

retired
08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Not a whole lot of tacticool but this place does cater to law enforcement and everyone else, really friendly and prices are pretty good, owner is top notch.""The Shootist"" in Old town Murrieta.

They are so full of FUD it isn't funny. AFAIK, they don't sell EBR, but that's ok as that is the owner's business decision. What I didn't like is their sales people telling me that I was committing a felony by owning my preban 30 round mags bought at the gun show in Pomona in the early 1990s. Trying to explain to them that it was legal was like :banghead:, so I gave up.

I brought my featureless rifle bought at Ammo Bros. that shoots the AK round and even tho it had the MMG, a couple of them insisted it was an AW.

I have no intention of stepping foot in there again.

Faith Armory is a great place and the owner, Nate is a real nice guy, as are his employees. He was willing to donate some ammo for one of our Lytle Creek shoots last year, but due to FS rules, we didn't hold a raffle.

I have never had a problem with Turners when it was in Riverside and I lived there or the Corona store when they closed the former. One of our members, Maddog5150 works there and he has always been helpful.

teIam
09-07-2010, 3:54 PM
I'm 26, but look like I'm probably about 21. I've had the following experiences in San Diego:

Duncan's - The best that I've been to so far. I've had four different employees help me and all of them have been extremely patient, let me look at whatever I wanted to, always made me feel welcome, and went out of their way to help my brother and me when they didn't have what we needed on the shelf. They actually went into the back and got us one of their own tools and sold it to us for 3 bucks. I feel very comfortable in this store.

Turner's in Kearny Mesa - They tend to be very busy, but aside from that, I have no complaints. I've never felt like they've treated me badly and they've never made me feel uncomfortable. Some little kid kept running into me one trip, but that's not their fault.

Turner's in San Marcos - I've only been there once, it was a Saturday, and they only had two people on the gun counter that spans the entire wall of the store. There were probably 15 people waiting. I left after standing around and waiting for 15 minutes. They just seem way understaffed.

ACS - Yeah...these guys tend to strike me as *******s. I definitely feel like they don't want me in there, which sucks, because I like the range. I took the introductory pistol class there. Dave and Bob are great, the rest not so much.

SoCal Guns - Only been here once, but it felt fairly uncomfortable until one guy asked if we needed help, then it was fine from there on out. Part of the issue I think was that some guy next to us was arguing with the guy behind the counter about everything, so the mood wasn't the best.

All in all, I'd say I've been treated fairly well. My favorite place, by far, is Duncan's.

todd2968
09-07-2010, 5:03 PM
Best kept secret is Parallax Tactical excellent customer service a little hard to find limited collection, but they can get quite a bit, and really cheap ammo.
1000 rds of .223 55 grain for $300

PistolS&W
09-07-2010, 5:07 PM
in riverside area you have turners,bullseyesports,and centerfire...

also "The Shootist" in murrieta... and maaaan do they suck... hate to bash on a store but.. they do.... i have my reasons...

PistolS&W
09-07-2010, 5:12 PM
one thing ive noticed at any gun store is they arent friendly until your wallet comes out. it might be because they get alot of window shoppers. perfect example is BJ sporting goods in hemet. i go there often. but when i first went it was like i was not wanted. but once i actually started purchasing stuff they had a reason to talk to me.

i think if you start asking questions at a new store you should get a posotive responce unless its a dumb question.

i put myself in there place. i might look like an A-hole and not say much but if you ask me a serious question i light up.

thats my .02

inbox485
09-09-2010, 10:44 PM
+1 Faith armory. After dealing with a couple wankers in a Hemet shop complaining about the economy and slow sales during 2009 and not realizing that it was due to pathetically bad service, Faith Armory was a nice change.

PistolS&W
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
+1 Faith armory. After dealing with a couple wankers in a Hemet shop complaining about the economy and slow sales during 2009 and not realizing that it was due to pathetically bad service, Faith Armory was a nice change.

what hemet shop are you reffering to? i only know of BJ sporting goods and they couldnt keep the guns on the shelf in 2009. and they actually have pretty great service. one example: they put the new sights on my glock for free and even let me take the tool with me to the range so if it needed adjustment i could do it there. i dont know of any other gun store that would just let you walk off with a $100 tool free of charge.

Black Majik
09-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Worst gun store are the idiots at Fowlers Gun Room.

I couldn't believe my ears when the bald guy at the counter suggested to a AR-newb he remove the bullet button and install a regular magazine release "because no one will care and those retards on Calguns will pay to defend you."

WTF!?!?!?!

Calguns does not defend cases with color...

Ugh, I immediately left and pulled the guy aside as he left the store and told him what is/is not legal. Sadly enough, he replied that he bought a "magnet" for his BB rifle since it is easier to take off "if a cop passes by" and he will use that with the PMAGs he just bought in Nevada.

Christ people...

Fowlers has gotten a lot better. But I must agree, that bald headed guy with the goatee is a moron. Everyone else is really pretty nice, the older lady is really sweet.

inbox485
09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
what hemet shop are you reffering to? i only know of BJ sporting goods and they couldnt keep the guns on the shelf in 2009. and they actually have pretty great service. one example: they put the new sights on my glock for free and even let me take the tool with me to the range so if it needed adjustment i could do it there. i dont know of any other gun store that would just let you walk off with a $100 tool free of charge.

I wasn't going to call them out by name, but yes it was BJ's. I went there once late 2008 and once I could actually get a worker to stop shooting the bull I asked about the spacity of guns. He went of on a tirade about the economy being bad and not wanting to stock up and get stuck with too much stock. I asked how much it would be to pre pay for a gun. The price was over retail at the time (keep in mind at this time Turners was still flush with guns and ammo - I was only there to support local business). Then I asked about ammo prices (since even back then it was all behind the counter and the prices were not very visible). The prices were a solid 50-100% higher than Turners. I asked about that and got another piss and moan tirade about being the little guy and not being able to keep up with "Wallyworld" (I hadn't even mentioned Wallmart, but whatever). About that time I politely exited and left. I stopped by in early 2009, the shelves were bare(er) and after my previous experience, I just didn't have much interest in being there and left.

So, maybe I just happened to be there on a bad day, but I've had repeated bad experience with small businesses in Hemet where the bitter worker/owner takes his attitude out on new customers, and that store was just another. I've never had that type of problem in other cities, but there is just something about Hemet.

hollowpoint67
09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
some people have already mentioned it,

but Brightspot Pawn - Dan is the man there.

and annies get your gun,

I dont live anywhere near the IE anymore but ill make that drive all the way out there just for them.

PistolS&W
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I wasn't going to call them out by name, but yes it was BJ's. I went there once late 2008 and once I could actually get a worker to stop shooting the bull I asked about the spacity of guns. He went of on a tirade about the economy being bad and not wanting to stock up and get stuck with too much stock. I asked how much it would be to pre pay for a gun. The price was over retail at the time (keep in mind at this time Turners was still flush with guns and ammo - I was only there to support local business). Then I asked about ammo prices (since even back then it was all behind the counter and the prices were not very visible). The prices were a solid 50-100% higher than Turners. I asked about that and got another piss and moan tirade about being the little guy and not being able to keep up with "Wallyworld" (I hadn't even mentioned Wallmart, but whatever). About that time I politely exited and left. I stopped by in early 2009, the shelves were bare(er) and after my previous experience, I just didn't have much interest in being there and left.

So, maybe I just happened to be there on a bad day, but I've had repeated bad experience with small businesses in Hemet where the bitter worker/owner takes his attitude out on new customers, and that store was just another. I've never had that type of problem in other cities, but there is just something about Hemet.

well i know everyone that works there by name and im guessing that by what you described in your breif conversation is that you were probably talking to a guy that was fired a while back for stealing from the store. hes a major pill popper and kind of a jack ***. he had tattoo's on his arms and was a white guy maybe 6ft tall, dark brown short hair.

i was in there today and the entire rifle rack was full as was there pistol case. and i just bought my glock from them and i paid $600 for a G23 wich is about $50 bucks over what turners sells them for but id rather give an extra 50 bucks to my local store then spend $25 bucks in gas to get it a little cheaper and not help the little guy.

like i said the first time i walked in to BJ's i felt unwanted aswell. and actually just walked out without help. but then the conveinence of the location made me go back until eventually the visits became posotive. now i buy all my guns through them.

GUN FREAK
09-10-2010, 8:37 PM

A ++

GUN FREAK
09-10-2010, 8:39 PM

Field Time Sports & Guns in Westminster (F-)

forgiven
09-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Ammo Bros.:thumbsup:

mikepiet
09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Love Project 2000 range\gunshot in El Cajon , CA. A lot of younger kids work there but they never look twice when asking to handle a firearm. A couple of the kids are VERY knowledgeable when asking about handguns etc.

I was in there once with my LWRCI and they must have mistook me for LE when I started asking about handguns. Never the less, very nice and welcoming.

BUT, the range over in Kearny Mesa off of Ruffin Road. That place was a JOKE. The over weight guy in there was a crack up. I think I knew more about handguns and I only read Calguns and a couple other rags. After talking to him, you'd think Sig was the only handgun out there.

Fun thread. I should head up to the Oceanside store mentioned here. I want to get a 9mm AR for practicing at the El Cajon PD range.

Parralax Tactical looks promising. Hope they do well. I was bummed when I called the other day for some Tango Down rail panels. They only had Troy rail panels. Ended up ordering from Riflegear.

M

pullnshoot25
09-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Worst= turners San Marcos very rude and they talk down to you.
Bad= El Cajon Gun Exchange. If your not over 50, know every episode of leave it to beaver, (guy stopped helping me to talk to about it) already know them and buying guns they like then your out of luck.

OK=discount gun on morena. Good selection good prices, but know what you want before you get there, they will not help much if you dont.

Good= Royal Loan, limited selection very friendly and very good prices
Good= Duncans guns works, can get super busy on the weekends
GOOD= Parallax Tactical. There is not a better shop (EBR mainly) in San Diego and is very bad for my wallet. They even will let you build your ar while your there while using there tools :eek: :D. They just got there lic to sell guns so there is not much other than ar stuff otherwise I would never go to another guns store in San Diego.

CGM in Solana Beach is much better. I know both store owners on a personal level and I would rather pluck my eyeballs out with a dull wooden spoon than go to Parallax Tactical ever again.

Exposed
09-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Best customer service in the busniss. Not a great selection on guns/rifles, but if they dont have it they will bend over backward to get it for you cheaper than anyone else in So. Cal. Very progressive and up to date on all the "cool new toys". Worth the drive! = Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside!

SanMiguel3
09-11-2010, 9:32 AM

Steve Converse
Sales
Ade's Gun Shop

I was at Ade's on Friday to do PPT and Steve was absolutely great.

I do think that making a snap decision based on a single experience is a mistake; anyone can have a bad day, and it could be a single "renegade" employee. Now if poor treatment happens consistently across the board, fine. You gave it a fair shot.

That said, the first impressions are powerful and often final. That young "snot nosed kid" could grow up to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, and will remember how he was treated the first time he walked into a shop.

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 9:52 AM
ive been going to socal guns for 10 years, so i never run into any problems there. i did like the la mesa store much more when they were open, but the kearny mesa location is great too. some of the floor guys arent completely up on all the latest gun laws to the point of we calgunners, but nobody in there is too much of a knowitall to refuse your business, like some other places can be (el cajon @#%hole exchange). The bossman over there is a great guy to deal with as well, should you have any problems. he would rather break even or lose a little money fixing a problem to make a customer happy, than screw you for a hundred bucks and leave a bad taste in your mouth. if you want a storeffl that's up on the laws, gussler's is where you go.

jcris7
09-14-2010, 9:09 PM

+1 For Annie's Get Your Gun. Jerry and Ann are great! Pretty much all of my business goes to them for everything I need thats gun related. I love mom and pop small-business gun shops that care about customer service! If you're a good customer and patronize them regularly, they'll be happy to work with you on a payment plan if you can't afford to shell out all the $$ for something at once. Bought a SIG and a Mossberg 500 from them.

Just my two cents on other gun stores in and out of the IE.
Turners (Corona) - Browsed but never purchased anything from them. Prices seem a little high. But the times I've been in there, the people behind the counter are pleasant and sincere. I only go here if theres a weapon from my watch list thats on sale and is a good deal.

Centerfire (Riverside) - Some think they're great. I don't. They left a bad taste in my mouth. At the time (fall 08), my next door neighbor's home was burglarized while asleep and I had been wanting to purchase my first handgun (a SIG 229 .40) for a while after years of frequent range rentals and practice. Thats when I decided to get it. I won the gun in an auction mid-October 2008 on gunbroker.com. Centerfire really dropped the ball on the transfer. Gave them the fax number so they could get send off their FFL information. I had to go back several times after 2 weeks to politely complain about why there was a delay in the shipment. Turns out when I called the dealer in Georgia they did not include my name on their FFL when they faxed it, so the poor guy didn't know know which transaction the FFL was associated with. The gun did not arrive at the store until after Thanksgiving and took it home first week in December because of this snafu. It was really nerve-wracking knowing our usually quiet and peaceful neighborhood could be hit again and I was defenseless to protect my home and family if the need arose. In a way, Centerfire put me in jeopardy because of their screw up. I couldn't afford an immediate store purchase of another pistol in the meantime since I plunked the $ on the SIG. Poor customer service and don't care for the younger people working in the store. They have real attitudes sometimes. Will not return.

Dave's Indoor Gun & Archery (San Bernardino) - Went here as a backup since Magnum Range in Riverside was full that day. My friend came along so both of us could get some range time on my P229. The guys in there were very rude and short and acted like we were borderline intruders on their turf. :( We did not feel comfortable in there at all. We decided to leave after sharing a 50 round box of FMJs. Won't go back.

American Shooting Center (Kearny Mesa) - Nice clean range. Tweaky and rude range employees. Gun sales people were friendly however.

Project 2000 (El Cajon) - Friend and I go here when I visit him in San Diego. By far the cleanest and nicest range. The employees are helpful and give good customer service. Definitely go here if you live or visit the San Diego area! Good selection of handgun and rifle rentals. :D

beemaze
09-24-2010, 4:02 PM
Field Time Sports & Guns in Westminster (F-)

+1

I bought a rifle there once and they asked me for my HSC. I said, "that's for handguns, you know?"

HSC= Handgun Safety Certificate, morons....

They do have a great selection, however.

Addendum See the latest fiasco at Field Time here.... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=345765

PyroFox79
09-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I have never had a problem in any gun store I have been to. Especially SoCal Guns. I sometimes go in their to see what they have on consignment. One time i walked in just looking at bolt action rifles and i told the gentleman that i was just looking at my options and he was more than happy to help me. He went through practically every rifle they had explaining the ups and downs of each. Same with turners down the street. But if anything i felt a bit ignored at turners. If youre looking for AR stuff go to Parallax Tactical. Discount Gun in Santee and down on Morena are pretty good.
I have heard a bit of Fud everywhere I've been. I just find it to be normal as our laws are so complicated. That and people make mistakes or remember things incorrectly.

bob7122
09-24-2010, 10:23 PM

thats cuz ur white ....

jk grant boys, oc armory, riflegear, ammobros, are great field time can lick my !@#$%^ and fowlers and the stockade are rude to the core fowlers wouldnt give the time of day i took two of my friends one is a conservative well mannered and the other liberal shortempered person and they agreed with my op fowlers and the stockade suck go for the others.

Bonecrusher
09-25-2010, 12:17 AM
I haven't read through all the post's, but in San Diego, this is an easy one for me.

Absolute worst: El Cajon Gun Exchange

Without a doubt the best: Don Gussler (not a store, but excellent for transfers,etc...) in Santee, and Ironsight's in Oceanside.

chesterthehero
09-25-2010, 4:45 PM

i really like this place.. its a mom and pop store but they know their stuff and know how to treat customers...

riflegear is another nice place.. lots of good info and they will say "im not sure, let me look it up" insted of giving you some half informed answer..

zeprider25
09-25-2010, 4:55 PM
Turners in Chino Hills and Corona have been good to me.

Just recently got a mossberg 500 from Big5 and that was a less then pleasent experience.

ireload
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
El Cajon Gun Exchange gets my vote for the worst. I was accused by an older gent of voting for Gray Davis when our conversation touched politics. Needless to say I have never been back to that store for 10 years now.

davedog01
09-26-2010, 1:35 PM
Martin B. Retting has good selection but lately I have got some heat when I've ppt'd. Relax, we're on the same team.

hawk81
09-26-2010, 3:00 PM
A big +1 for Annies Get Your Gun in Corona. I am surprised this store is not mentioned more. Friendly, easy to deal with and they will work with you. Jerry and Annie are good folks. I have been done shopping at Turners. They are like a bunch of clowns in a circus.

toby
09-26-2010, 3:13 PM
A big +1 for Annies Get Your Gun in Corona. I am surprised this store is not mentioned more. Friendly, easy to deal with and they will work with you. Jerry and Annie are good folks. I have been done shopping at Turners. They are like a bunch of clowns in a circus.

If your in the market for a used hand gun or rifle this place has some good deals!

orangeusa
09-26-2010, 3:27 PM
I don't know if its because im just some young lookin guy, but damn... Everyone gun store in Socal, besides the one in La Mesa that moved, and the one in Santee is absolutely horrible... Bad customer service, basically told me and my friend to "get the fuk out"

Okay - I can only comment on Orange and surrounding communities.
BUT - Good grief - I was thrown out of Big5 (across from Orange mall) for asking the manager if I could give them a pile of CGF/CG flyers to place on their display case in front of ammo. And I was NICE to that guy.

I'll only comment on the ones I've dealt with, but T&A, Ades, Field Time (YOU HAVE TO CHECK THEM OUT - like a Cabelas with better prices, and clean and NEW), Turners in Orange have all treated me very well. I can't figure out the hate for Turners - yes - sometimes they are more expensive, but not during sales... and the guys treated me like a human on my first pistola purchase...

Yup, agreed. I posted about Fowlers and having to go out of there gritting my teeth 90% of the time... Grant Boys is a joke IMHO.

But yes, there are a LOT of great LGS in OC... :)

beemaze
09-30-2010, 2:57 PM
Jeff's Sporting Goods is right next door to Bain & Davis (highly recommend B&D). Imagine that - two places right next door to one another that sell guns!

Anyways, a fellow Calgunner and I met up at B&D to do a PPT, but B&D was closed for the holiday weekend when we arrived. We ended up going next door to Jeff's and inquired about doing a PPT. They said sure! But they asked for a $200 cash deposit prior to the PPT! They said that for every day after the 10 day waiting period that you did not pick up your gun, they would deduct $20 from your "deposit" until it was exhausted. And if your pickup day was on a Sunday (the day they are normally closed), you would automatically lose $20! WTF!?! I'm sorry, but that has got to be totally illegal!!

I also called over to EuroArms in Alhambra. They Asian guy that answered the phone kept increasing his PPT price. 1st it was $35, then $40, then $50. I hung up before it could go up some more. Yet another place to avoid....

Needless to say, we went up to Turner's in Pasadena for the PPT and were helped immediately and quickly.

89 Vision
09-30-2010, 3:59 PM
I didn't go through all the posts, so not sure if they've been already listed; but I can't stand the people at The Stockade. It's too bad too because they have a lot of guns. Oh and Grant Boys isn't my favorite either. For whatever reason, I get a lot of attitude there. These shops should take a lesson from Riflegear and others that are around me (hell, even F.V. Turners). There's a lot of competition out there nowadays, and of course, they will catch more flies with honey.

stewiegriffin
09-30-2010, 8:52 PM
El Cajon Gun Exchange gets my vote for the worst. I was accused by an older gent of voting for Gray Davis when our conversation touched politics. Needless to say I have never been back to that store for 10 years now.

+1

That place actually kind of frightens me. Seem like a bunch of dicks. I know mileage may vary, but it is definitely a "good 'ol boy shop."

ireload
09-30-2010, 9:55 PM
+1

That place actually kind of frightens me. Seem like a bunch of dicks. I know mileage may vary, but it is definitely a "good 'ol boy shop."

Though it never felt like a "good ol' boys for me and prices are a bit up, I was ready to spend some bucks but thanks to that guy's attitude they lost a customer.

pictureman
10-01-2010, 4:30 PM
A couple of the great gun stores back in the days were National Guns in Northridge California, and Pony express.
Then there was Sherwood Guns but they were hard asses, but alright. As someone said, "It's how you present yourself and what you wear."
Too bad they're not around anymore and closed down back in the late 80's

cmichini
10-01-2010, 4:46 PM
Go back to the poor service guys, give it a try (you'll probably getsnubbed again), THEN stand to the side, whip out your cell phone, call your voicemail and pretend you're on the phone to a buddy:

"Yeah, I'm in x again. Yeah, same bullsnot, AGAIN. I don't know why I even bother. Jesus, just because I don't dress like I'm rich doesn't mean I don't have a $10K per year gun budget.

Will that other shop you mentioned (keep it non-specific) still order up the (select your favorite nice EXPENSIVE fouling piece) for me at that great price? Cool.

Are they friendly and helpful, too? Even if I'm not a long term known customer? AWESOME, I'm there.

How about we meet Sat AM, we'll shop, I'll plunk down my cash for that sweet rifle setup and I'll treat you to lunch, your choice.

No problem! It's the least I could do for you pointing me in the right direction.
OK, I'll call you. Later.

Have a nice day guys. BYE"

It may not get them to change (A-holes normally won't). But it can make you feel like you TRIED to make your point. Maybe you'll get a good chuckle as you leave.

darqhelmet
10-01-2010, 7:07 PM
Riflegear is my first stop always. I have gotten 5 lowers 2 uppers and a sig 522 from them in the past 9 months. EVERYONE in that store is great. My entire group buys from pretty much just them. Turners in FV is good for sales and safes. Jim is great every time I go in there and Micheal is always sweet when ringing me up. Big 5 at 5 points is another store I check but I haven't purchased anything from them in a few years.

Grants sucks I was ignored for about 20 min and then was treated rudely.
The Stockade is a hell hole. Prices are crap sales people just dont seem to care.
Fowlers staff wouldn't talk to me so I left and have never gone back. They seem to have higher prices on everything I looked at.
FieldTime I have not purchased a firearm from but reloading stuff is always in stock and they have good prices. I dont know who you dealt with at Fieldtime but I would talk to Steve. I met him at The Firing Line and he has always been great to me and my friends.

fed20
10-01-2010, 9:28 PM
Best customer service in the busniss. Not a great selection on guns/rifles, but if they dont have it they will bend over backward to get it for you cheaper than anyone else in So. Cal. Very progressive and up to date on all the "cool new toys". Worth the drive! = Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside!

I agree.

aaronraby1
10-01-2010, 9:34 PM
cant be as bad as the ammo brothers in cerritos... i heard one of the guys talking to a customer who was asking about a rifle say "i dont know. i just got my first rifle the other day and its an ar15." oookkkkkkkk... why do they hire these people???

DaveFJ80
10-01-2010, 9:46 PM
I've done quite a few PPT's and bought a few new guns from Turner's West Covina. Never any problems and everything went smoothly.

The only 2 things where things didn't go as smooth were.....

1) They couldn't find my paperwork when I came to pick up a new gun after the 10 days (one of the employees filed it in the wrong place). So I had to fill out everything again so they could have the paperwork before releasing the gun to me. The cool thing was, since I was going to buy a cleaning kit and some extra cleaning supplies, they just said "that's on us" for their mix up. So I also got to walk away with about $50 of cleaning supplies and a kit. Good service there IMO.

2) I've bought 2 brand new shotguns from there in the past year. Each time, they've asked for my HSC card for the purchase. While I knew it wasn't needed, I wasn't going to fight them on it as it could just have been store policy. It's not like I had to go out of my way for it or anything, and it didn't bother me at all, but just bringing that up since a couple of others said the same thing at other stores.

I bought a rifle there once and they asked me for my HSC.

G-forceJunkie
10-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Not that long ago. I bought a Glock from Pony Express in 1995 or 96. I remember the other stores you mention, but can't remember which one was what. All those were on Parthenia, right? One was on the corner by reseda, they were pretty snooty and I never bought from there. One a little west on the south side, was Blue Star Arms for a short while. Then Northridge International, they had lost their FFL by the time I started working down there in 1995 or so. Then there was the upstares place with an indoor shooting rang on the North side of the street. Northridge rifle and pistol I think? Sigh, I miss decent gun stores.

A couple of the great gun stores back in the days were National Guns in Northridge California, and Pony express.
Then there was Sherwood Guns but they were hard asses, but alright. As someone said, "It's how you present yourself and what you wear."
Too bad they're not around anymore and closed down back in the late 80's

Damzk
10-04-2010, 2:37 AM
I can't say of any good one I have found yet, but I did go to Wholesale Guns in Santee and they were very helpful to the guy in front of me and myself. But I would never recommend Big 5 especially in Mira Mesa but all in general because of the ridiculous 11-day wait policy for a gun, but that is a whole different debate.

hayesman76
10-17-2010, 12:55 PM

Bad customer service, basically told me and my friend to "get the fuk out" ...

That wasn't the same guy who kicked the tv show "Hardcore Pawn" pawnbroker Les Gold out of his Detroit-area gun shop using about the same words, was it? LOL

(Incidentally, although I can understand the retail gun seller -- who'd obviously already agreed to be wired-up and filmed (possibly without compensation) for an episode of the show -- getting irritated by Gold's seeking a discount on a holster, before he was angrily kicked out of the gun shop Gold "was* about to pay for a few thousand dollars worth of handguns and accessories for himself and his pawn shop's employees.

You'd think, in this economy, the gun shop owner would have humored the prospective buyer even if the latter's "nickel-and-diming" request for a final discount on the holsters pissed him off. Then again, since the gun shop was located in the Detroit area (one of the highest crime rates in the U.S., it had a pm curfew for youths for quite awhile which may still be in effect) one suspects they're not lacking in customers looking to buy guns.

hayesman76
10-17-2010, 1:11 PM

I completely agreee with PistolS&W -- in my experience, BJ Sporting Goods in Hemet can't be beat for:

1. selection of guns (both handguns *and* long guns);
or
2. knowledge, professionalism and friendliness of the staff

And no, I DON'T work for them! Just telling it as I've seen it!

Going back to one of the other earlier posters, I, too, was very surprised and disappointed at the lack of stock of the Turners Outdoorsman I visited (the one in San Bernardino) about a year or two ago. Maybe they've replenished their stock by now, though. The service was ok, nothing to complain about, in my opinion. Turners does have a great selection of fishing and hunting supplies, too.

prob
10-17-2010, 1:48 PM
I think probably the worst gun store in Southern California has to be the little shop located on the northwest corner of Colima Ave. and Hacienda Blvd. A strange little place with the word "GUNS" emblazoned on the front window. Walk inside and you're looked at like someone from another planet. The proprietor sits behind the counter reading back issues of The Shotgun News while grunting answers to any questions in as rude a manner as possible. I know of no one who has actually bought a firearm at that place and it's been there for a very long time.