PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Storage in Home

safewaysecurity
08-11-2010, 6:26 PM
So I don't know how old this video is but at around 5:14 in the video it says that storing your handgun securely and safely is the LAW in california. I never knew California ever even enacted such a law. I'm 99% sure the video is wrong most likely due to it's age. Not sure how old the video is but it says it's the law at 5:14 and it's supposedly from the CADOJ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eHOOiwtQU

IEShooter
08-11-2010, 6:32 PM
To the best of my knowledge, you must store them in a manner that children cannot gain unauthorized access to loaded guns.

Personally, my guns are locked downstairs in a large safe. I keep a loaded hand gun in the master bedroom that is locked in a wall safe. Quick and easy access.

safewaysecurity
08-11-2010, 6:36 PM
I thought it was legal to have a handgun loaded witha round in the chamber right next to your bed even...

IEShooter
08-11-2010, 6:56 PM
There's nothing illegal about having loaded guns in your home. Where you'll get in trouble is if a child has access to them and shoot themselves or someone else.

At this point, you have broken a law that dictates that loaded guns must be secured in a manner that prevents children from gaining access to them.

Again, I am not well versed in the law, but believe this to be true. It is very possible that I am wrong, but I don't believe that I am.

Regards,

John

safewaysecurity
08-11-2010, 6:59 PM
I thought there was a case about keeping guns in the home and them having to be locked and stuff and the court said you can't do that because if all laws applied to adults in the name of child safety we would all be living like children. Am I wrong?

Cokebottle
08-11-2010, 7:01 PM
To the best of my knowledge, you must store them in a manner that children cannot gain unauthorized access to loaded guns.
That's not entirely accurate.

There is no law regarding STORAGE.

The law is that you can be charged IF a child gains access to your gun AND causes injury/death/property damage.

It is actually a rare case of California law making sense.... punish the action, don't legislate preventing the action.
I have no children at home, and we have no visitors. Any "child" who might gain access to any of my guns will potentially be in a position to be looking down the wrong end of one (wife doesn't work, and though she doesn't like the recoil, she is GOOD with my 1911).

inbox485
08-11-2010, 7:04 PM
There's nothing illegal about having loaded guns in your home. Where you'll get in trouble is if a child has access to them and shoot themselves or someone else.

At this point, you have broken a law that dictates that loaded guns must be secured in a manner that prevents children from gaining access to them.

Again, I am not well versed in the law, but believe this to be true. It is very possible that I am wrong, but I don't believe that I am.

Regards,

John

I don't much feel like pulling the PC section up, but your correct. The safe storage law applies a penalty only if a minor acquires a firearm under your custody that was not secured and commits a crime with it. The famous loop hole is that while the law specifies that the gun must be secured, it does not say that the child can't have access to the key or combination. So if you want your kid to have access to a gun while your gone you can, just make sure YOU secure it first.