PDA

View Full Version : So I finally shopped Turners

Rob454
08-11-2010, 4:20 PM
After all the hoopla and arguments b*****ng and moaning i finally went shopping at Turners. I needed a gun for my wife to have at the house. So we went looking and found a Armscor 38 caliber on sale. we looked and at the time it seemed like a good gun for a good price so we bought it.
Fast forward 10 days later.
Went to pick up the gun and was ready to finish up the paperwork and whoops the gun was simply rough feeling when you pulled the trigger or cocked back the hammer and at one point it went out of time and the cylinder locked up. i refused to pick it up and they did not have anymore in stock and I did not want the floor model.
Went got the wife, dragged her down and started looking again. She picked up Taurus 357 snub 5 shot and paid the difference. To tell you the truth I think they had GREAT customer service. NOBODY was more shocked than i was. Pleasant counter people? Someone who actually acknowledges you are standing there? Looking around yup it is a gun store and a Turners gun store. WTH is happening? I know they were bad for a long time but i think since the change of ownership it made a difference. Not only were we greeted as we walked in the store we were greeted and asked for help numerous times both my wife and I together and separately.

i think they had a change for the better. I shopped the Fountain Valley shop and I was pleasantly surprised.

I never thought I would say this but good job Turners. if anyone from Turners reads this I hope it gets back to the manager.

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 4:22 PM
Why wouldn't you want the exact gun you originally looked at (the floor model)?

Rob454
08-11-2010, 4:23 PM
Why wouldn't you want the exact gun you originally looked at (the floor model)?

Cause it looked like a truck ran it over. HUGe difference between a 230$ gun and a 400$ gun and I dont mean the price

Fate
08-11-2010, 4:37 PM
Why wouldn't you want the exact gun you originally looked at ?

Three times now Turners has sold the gun I "picked" and DROSed during the 10 day wait. They issued another gun, changed DOJ paperwork, etc. So it's possible the gun ready for pickup might NOT be the same gun the OP looked at.

phkk
08-11-2010, 5:33 PM
Tuners on Brook-hurt street? It is a "ok" place

IEShooter
08-11-2010, 5:39 PM
Guns shops are what you make of them. There was a loud mouth, poorly informed employee at the San Berdoo store a few months ago, but I still bought my XD9 there as it was a good deal. I have thick skin, so I just ignored him.

Just bought a Walther shotgun for home defense at the one in Rancho today. Very nice staff there and some really good sale prices on guns and accessories.

Personally, I appreciate the larger stores that actually stock ammo and accessories and can answer questions, etc., versus the very common, hole in the wall, black rifle store.

Both have their place for what they're selling, but Turners, etc., are the closest we have to the mega-gun stores that "Free" states have. This is one reason they continue to get my business.

I also stopped by Bass Pro on the way home and bought some shotgun shells and a few other things. All in all, it was a pretty gun friendly day around my house!!!! :D

Regards,

John

Rob454
08-11-2010, 5:49 PM
Tuners on Brook-hurt street? It is a "ok" place

hey for the past 6-7 years or so I simply did not shop at Turners. The purchase was a spur of the moment. i was driving with my wife and I said hey pull in here lets look. It could of been any gun store it jsut so happen it was Turners. i was just surprised that they were curteous. it was just a pleasant surprise.

puropuro
08-11-2010, 5:56 PM
I've never had a problem there, and so far bought:
S&W M&P .40 (on sale, smooth transaction)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 (killer sale, smooth transaction)
Kimber Ultra Covert II (asked for a discount on the floor model, and got it)
Amsec gunsafe (they helped me load it into my truck)
plus, took my handguns safety test there.
1 case .40 S&W, 1 case .45ACP at the new Rancho store (crowded, but they took care of me)

I'm always courteous, and get that in return. Maybe sometimes I know more than the saleman, but that's not his fault. Just grin and nod, and most times they'll do you right.

xibunkrlilkidsx
08-11-2010, 8:27 PM
the san marcos one has always been nice. bought 3 guns there and bunch of ammo and supplies. and they will usually meet other stores prices to.

GlennG31
08-11-2010, 9:11 PM
I always go to the Turners in Fountain Valley, and the counter people have always been very courteous and helpful with me...even when they're pretty busy at the counter and all I want to do is take a look at a pistol in the case or just ask a question. I've never had a problem there. They get a thumbs up from me! :thumbsup:

PsychGuy274
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Turner's in Kearny Mesa is awesome. They have been great about recommendations and have always been polite and if they didn't know the answer to a question, they'd go well out of their way to find the answer without my request to do so.

They are a *smidge* more expensive than some other gun shops in San Diego, but I will gladly pay a little more to be guaranteed good service.

bjl333
08-11-2010, 11:52 PM
The one in West Covina is very nice ... They are always helpful and just chats with you when they don't have lots of customer on the floor !!!

nick
08-12-2010, 12:12 AM
I haven't had problems at Turner's. I've dealt with the Reseda, Pasadena, and West Covina stores, and had good experiences with all of them. I used to go there quite often, actually, haven't been in those parts lately though.

The only store I didn't like was the one in Norwalk. I didn't have any problems there, as I wasn't actually buying anything, but the employees did project the gun store attitude :)

spectr17
08-12-2010, 1:20 AM
I shop there regularly and have never had any problems.

Dingotech
08-12-2010, 6:37 AM
My recent Turner's experiences have been hit 'n' miss- I've had great customer service at San Marcos and abominable service. Kearney Mesa's service has been consistently so-so. There's a fellow who worked the Kerney Mesa store who's now at SoCal Guns (the big guy with the tattoos) and he said that he hated working for Turner's and was so much happier at SoCal. Perhaps there's a clue as to why Turner's began to have such a bad rep; unhappy employees are hardly inclined to "put on a happy face".

I hope that the new Turner's survives, continues to improve and, ultimately, thrives. I've been an on/off customer for over 25 years (anyone remember the old Culver City store across from the drive in?).

acolytes
08-12-2010, 6:44 AM
After all the hoopla and arguments b*****ng and moaning i finally went shopping at Turners. I needed a gun for my wife to have at the house. So we went looking and found a Armscor 38 caliber on sale. we looked and at the time it seemed like a good gun for a good price so we bought it.
Fast forward 10 days later.
Went to pick up the gun and was ready to finish up the paperwork and whoops the gun was simply rough feeling when you pulled the trigger or cocked back the hammer and at one point it went out of time and the cylinder locked up. i refused to pick it up and they did not have anymore in stock and I did not want the floor model.
Went got the wife, dragged her down and started looking again. She picked up Taurus 357 snub 5 shot and paid the difference. To tell you the truth I think they had GREAT customer service. NOBODY was more shocked than i was. Pleasant counter people? Someone who actually acknowledges you are standing there? Looking around yup it is a gun store and a Turners gun store. WTH is happening? I know they were bad for a long time but i think since the change of ownership it made a difference. Not only were we greeted as we walked in the store we were greeted and asked for help numerous times both my wife and I together and separately.

i think they had a change for the better. I shopped the Fountain Valley shop and I was pleasantly surprised.

I never thought I would say this but good job Turners. if anyone from Turners reads this I hope it gets back to the manager.

+1000 on pleasantly surprised. A couple years ago, the guys behind the counter would just ignore me, and when they finally acknowledged me and helped me, they acted like I was bothering them. I by no means am a difficult person. I don't even ask questions when I come in. I know exactly what I want when I walk in, and say "i'd like to buy XX gun." Do my Dros, and when I come back to pick up, I stand there and get ignored again. Then when I'm helped "Hi, I'd like to pick up my gun". Well about 7 months ago or so I did a ppt with a fellow Calgunner. We did it at the Fountain Valley Turners. There was a young looking asian kid, and older guy behind the counter. To my surprise, the asian kid immediately greeted me and was SUPER attentive. While the other Calgunner was doing his paperwork, I was eye balling a few guns in the case. To my surprise, the kid asked "can I get something out for you?" I was SHOCKED! He kept asking if I would like him to take out whatever i was looking at. I must have handled about 4 different pistols. Kudos to him and his customer service. I'm used to just walking in and out of turners, and not touching anything because the the bad attitudes of the employees that used to be there.

GM4spd
08-12-2010, 6:59 AM
I have been to 3 different Turner's for purchases and PPT's---never any
problem. (Redondo Beach,Reseda, and Signal Hill.) Pete

Ed_Hazard
08-12-2010, 7:14 AM
I've been shopping the Turner's store in Norwalk for years. Have had great eperiences for the most part. Sure their have been some employees that were not the greatest but they did not last for the most part. I do frequent other gunstores but still do the majorityof my buying at Turner's shops.

As far as the Armscor 38 goes, yeah saw them when they came out and handled a couple different ones at the store. The actions did feel pretty rough but never had any issue with the timeing. I ende up buying 3 of them and the one I have been shooting the action has smoothed out some after a couple hundred rounds. But is still kinda rough, buthey it's a $200 gun.

I have bought alot of the display models when they have been low on wharehouse stock. Unless the gun has been obviously mishandled, and have not had any issues. On the plus note you can usually get them to give you a discount on the displaymodel, either they take it down to the last sale price or if it is on sale I have had them also knock an extra 5% off the sale price.

StephenhDMRS
08-12-2010, 9:35 AM
I love Turners! How much was the Armscor 38? I'm looking for one.

DaveFJ80
08-12-2010, 3:29 PM
I've purchases guns from Turner's. I've done PPT's at Turner's (both buying and selling). Never a problem, never any hassles. Sure their prices may not be the best out there, but the guys there are courteous and helpful.

RedFord150
08-12-2010, 3:43 PM
I like Pasadena and Chino Hills as the best Turner's locations.
West Covina has been 'Hit and Miss' for me.
I have not shopped the other locations.

Munk
08-12-2010, 4:15 PM
I like Pasadena and Chino Hills as the best Turner's locations.
West Covina has been 'Hit and Miss' for me.
I have not shopped the other locations.

Chino hills is where I heard them talking FUD about Cali being the only state with magazine capacity restrictions. However, I can usually get some help at the counter without having to bug them. When I go in, there's usually enough people to keep the counter folk busy, so there may be a wait, but it's usually accompanied by a "I'll be with you shortly". There is a guy there who says he's a vet and goes on and on about why he likes one gun VS. another, and why he doesn't like semi-auto shotguns. Some of his discussions have been interesting, while others just seem like bad salesmanship.

Urban-Warrior-2010
08-12-2010, 7:25 PM
Ive been to the one in Reseda, it was ok, employees asking me if i needed any help. I think they should modernise the place up a bit, change of carpet would be a start. Looks very gloomy inside.

den888
08-12-2010, 7:27 PM
I have been to Norwalk, Reseda and Pasadena and all OK.

smle-man
08-13-2010, 6:54 AM
I've been to Turners so frequently that they know me by sight at Pasadena and Reseda! I like them along with Oak Tree in Newhall. Always treated with respect.

Wyseguy
08-13-2010, 9:28 AM
I've shopped at several Turners - Reseda, Pasadena, Signal Hill, and West Covina. I've never had a bad experience. Just do some homework first, like with any gun purchase. I never impulse buy, unless it's ammo!

paul0660
08-13-2010, 9:46 AM
i refused to pick it up

Did they eat the $25 dros fee on the Armscor?

BigDogatPlay
08-13-2010, 9:56 AM
Three times now Turners has sold the gun I "picked" and DROSed during the 10 day wait. They issued another gun, changed DOJ paperwork, etc.

That is just wrong... at so many levels. An FFL doing that to me once would end our business relationship, then and there.

RRichie09
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
The one in Chino Hills was very helpful and no one was playing the my junk is bigger than your game. Went to the store with my girl looking for a pistol, left with a ton of information and the advice to go shoot the guns before buying them. No pressure to buy one that day or anything. Very impressed after hearing horror stories about rude gun store employee's.

toby
08-13-2010, 2:55 PM
I just finished doing a PPT at Turners in Norwalk with another CGN and all went really well and smooth. Maybe knowing the guy's who work there helps ? any way good place to deal with...Just sayin.

Rob454
08-13-2010, 10:03 PM
+1000 on pleasantly surprised. A couple years ago, the guys behind the counter would just ignore me, and when they finally acknowledged me and helped me, they acted like I was bothering them. I by no means am a difficult person. I don't even ask questions when I come in. I know exactly what I want when I walk in, and say "i'd like to buy XX gun." Do my Dros, and when I come back to pick up, I stand there and get ignored again. Then when I'm helped "Hi, I'd like to pick up my gun". Well about 7 months ago or so I did a ppt with a fellow Calgunner. We did it at the Fountain Valley Turners. There was a young looking asian kid, and older guy behind the counter. To my surprise, the asian kid immediately greeted me and was SUPER attentive. While the other Calgunner was doing his paperwork, I was eye balling a few guns in the case. To my surprise, the kid asked "can I get something out for you?" I was SHOCKED! He kept asking if I would like him to take out whatever i was looking at. I must have handled about 4 different pistols. Kudos to him and his customer service. I'm used to just walking in and out of turners, and not touching anything because the the bad attitudes of the employees that used to be there.

Yes I saw him. He was there and he was very helpful. I mean these guys were simply amazing how helpful they were.

As far as the Armscor 38 goes, yeah saw them when they came out and handled a couple different ones at the store. The actions did feel pretty rough but never had any issue with the timeing. I ende up buying 3 of them and the one I have been shooting the action has smoothed out some after a couple hundred rounds. But is still kinda rough, buthey it's a $200 gun.

I didn't want the display model. The display felt better but it looked like it got handled a lot. It was my wifes first gun so i wanted it to be a clean one.

I love Turners! How much was the Armscor 38? I'm looking for one.

the price came out to be 279$ out the door.

Did they eat the $25 dros fee on the Armscor?

yes the only charge I had was the difference between the old gun price and the new gun price which was 197$ and I paid that. There was no additional DROS fee.

jim293
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I have bought several guns for the Turners in San Bernardino and have never had a problem and they for the most part have been pretty helpful.

YourHuckleberry
08-25-2010, 1:08 AM
I'm a regular at the Orange Turners, and have had good experiences. Had issues with guns performance, and the staff was helpful in handling it. The new young guy that works there is an odd duck though

Roccobro
08-25-2010, 6:52 AM
All my bad Turners experiences were at the San Bernardino location. I won't list all the horror stories again.

Now if I ever go in, I just look for the tall skinny white guy with tattoo's. He's prolly a manager or something as he has the proper CS attitude and easy to deal with. Only counter guy who knows how to get into the powder safe so that's a plus.

Justin

gotime
08-25-2010, 6:59 AM
^ I've done most of my gun purchases there. You're right about that guy, I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but him and Mike are great. The guy with the goatee is an angry FUD spreader.

Cochise82
08-25-2010, 7:03 AM
Chino hills is where I heard them talking FUD about Cali being the only state with magazine capacity restrictions. However, I can usually get some help at the counter without having to bug them. When I go in, there's usually enough people to keep the counter folk busy, so there may be a wait, but it's usually accompanied by a "I'll be with you shortly". There is a guy there who says he's a vet and goes on and on about why he likes one gun VS. another, and why he doesn't like semi-auto shotguns. Some of his discussions have been interesting, while others just seem like bad salesmanship.

I was at the Chino Hills Turners last week. Seemed like nice and helpful guys working there. I was pricing out holsters and they were almost $10 higher than other places. :confused:

Turners is a good place to have around, but you gotta know your stuff to keep from getting screwed.

Rob454
08-25-2010, 5:30 PM
confused:

Turners is a good place to have around, but you gotta know your stuff to keep from getting screwed.

well if you walk in and buy something and you pay too much you can't blame the store. When I got my wifes gun I could of waited till the same model came up fir sale here and gotten a better price maybe save 50-100 $ off retail
I didn't feel like waiting and I wanted her to have a new gun
I could of shopped around and maybe saved 40$
I don't feel like I overpaid or that I got screwed I made a decision to spend x amount on a gun. None of the shop employees forced I'm into a purchase or made any remarks

G-forceJunkie
08-25-2010, 6:33 PM
Went to the Pasadena store last week for a PPT, very happy with the service and attitudes of the employees there. The Reseda store is my "usual" Turners, being the closest. More often than not, reception is cool and it seems you are putting them out of their way to show you a firearm.

Mail Clerk
08-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Stay away from the Redondo Beach store! Those guys know nothing about guns and will lie to you in order to sell you a pistol/rifle! Don't know much about Armscor revolvers (quality) but will buy a Taurus in a heart beat. It's warranty is lifetime so how can one go wrong. I've been to other Turner's and the attitude is much superior to Redondo Beach. One thing that really ticks me off is that the manager will order me any gun possible but his staff indicates other. Obviously corporate policies vary between each store. The home office should look into this mis-management.

Mail Clerk

DaveFJ80
08-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I went to Turner's last week. Bought a brand new Kimber TLE/RL from there. Ironically, their price was cheaper than the 2 other gun stores I called in the LA area (the other 4 I called said they were 6-8 months back ordered). Good service, no problems, no issues. 4th brand new gun I've purchased from there in the past 8 months.

fsx
08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
the West Covina store is great. I've been there a few times and their employees are patient and friendly. They always have people to assist when ever a question is raised.
I heard a lot of horror stories about turners, but I believe that in many of those occasions, the customer share some of the blame.

API
08-26-2010, 8:13 PM
I've had good results in San Marcos and Chino Hills stores. The real turds are in the Turner's Corona store. Never again will I enter there.

retired
08-26-2010, 9:50 PM
I often went into the store in Riverside when I lived there and with the exception of one time, found them helpful and polite. The one time was when I bought a Ruger MK III and asked them to show me how to disassemble/assemble it. The guy in charge said it would take two hours and he didn't have the time (I'm thinking he didn't know how;)).

I figured it out eventually.

Since that store closed, I've been to the Corona one several times and have always found the employees helpful and polite. I like Turners.

DaveFJ80
08-26-2010, 11:11 PM
the West Covina store is great. I've been there a few times and their employees are patient and friendly. They always have people to assist when ever a question is raised.

I usually go to the West Covina store since it's nearby to me. Ever since the bald guy left (I think his name was Matt), it's been a much more pleasant experience shopping there. His attitude was like Mr. Know-it-all and if you asked a silly question, he would project his voice loud enough so the entire store could hear him answering you... basically making you feel like a dumbass for asking the question.

The other guy now who I think is in charge, Jordan, is really mellow and cool. He's very patient when you are looking at different guns and the questions I've asked him (most of which I already knew the answer to, just seeing what he had to say), he was knowledgable and courteous and never made you feel like an idiot.

Nice & friendly environment at West Covina. Same goes for the Pasadena Turner's that I've been to a few times. Chino Hills was alright, but I only went in there a couple of times briefly.

pennstater
08-27-2010, 7:37 AM
Just curious; When you buy a firearm, put down a deposit or pay it in full[which you have to do to start a background], you're supposed to have a S/N on your paperwork.
Unless they are totally out of stock [locally, warehouse], you should have had a S/N to reference.
If they issued one S/N, it should be the same one in 10 days!

Roccobro
08-27-2010, 7:51 AM
Just curious; When you buy a firearm, put down a deposit or pay it in full[which you have to do to start a background], you're supposed to have a S/N on your paperwork.
Unless they are totally out of stock [locally, warehouse], you should have had a S/N to reference.

SHOULD BE is the operative words.

And the S/N doesn't matter if they LOSE your firearm during DROS like they did one of mine.

Justin

pennstater
08-27-2010, 8:06 AM
Point well taken.
Hope they took care of it for you.

G-forceJunkie
08-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Should be, but there is a form for correcting a typo when doing the paperwork. Happened to me once, a dealer had a used Glock 19 and 17. I bought the 17, after the wait I went to pick it up and the paperwork had the 19's serial numbers on it. Filled out the "Correction" form and was good to go.