PDA

View Full Version : Use caution this year hunting

antonio
08-11-2010, 2:26 PM
AMADOR COUNTY, Calif. --
Rattlesnakes are biting at a record pace in Amador County this year.

Dr. Bob Hartmann, an internist and Amador County's Public Health Officer, said seven bites to humans have been reported in the county this year so far -- that's the highest number in previous years.

One bite victim was given seven doses of antivenom, which cost $2,000 apiece, according to the doctor. She brought the snake to the office with her in a bucket, which officials say not to do.

The Amador County Animal Control Department said it doesn't remove snakes, but recommends some companies that can help get rid of the creatures from your home.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 2:32 PM
I have seen a few out this year and killed one while hunting. Nasty things!

professionalcoyotehunter
08-11-2010, 2:49 PM
There are lots of them this year. I have seen at least 5 now while hunting.

boyzuker
08-11-2010, 3:25 PM
I've killed 7 on my property this year... 4 more than the last 3 years put together!

joefreas
08-11-2010, 3:28 PM
I wear snake bite proof boots while in the field. Its the bird dogs I worry about. Killed a group of them last year out phoesant hunting.

Xterra Rider
08-11-2010, 4:08 PM
I was in Joshua Tree two years ago and man there seemed like thousands of rattlers out there. Every boulder and rock we saw snakes. They need some harvesting out there.

gotime
08-11-2010, 6:14 PM
Any one use snake shot on rattlers? I'm thinking of keeping one as my first round in my sidearm when I'm out, that is of course when I'm not hunting with the 12 gauge.

lewdogg21
08-11-2010, 6:26 PM
Anybody know how high up in elevation rattlers generally are? (0-what elevation)

spectr17
08-11-2010, 6:37 PM
I was shocked to read in my snake ID book that rattlers go up to like almost 10,000 feet. I thought we were safe above 6,000 but nope. I've personally seen rattlers at 7,500 on the Mill Creek trail into the San G wilderness.

thevic
08-11-2010, 6:38 PM
hmm i havent been on my ranch out in san bernardino county this summe & its my first year there....i wonder if ill see some rattlers

Fireguy
08-11-2010, 7:43 PM
Jesse,

You just ruined my day, I thought we were safe above 6000 ft.

Brian2217
08-11-2010, 8:02 PM
Time to fire up the barbie.

nbkvig2
08-11-2010, 8:14 PM
I went to the Mojave Preserve in June and I was worried I'd run into buncha rattlers. To my surprise, there was none not even 1. For the first couple hours I was so cautious, looking everywhere I step and checked over and over before I sat down near a rock or crevice. Eh...im glad I didn't see any lol but still :confused:

spectr17
08-11-2010, 8:45 PM
I finally found a source on line for how high up rattlesnakes go.

The rattlesnake is California’s only native venomous snake. Six species are found in various areas of the state from below sea level to about 11,000 feet.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74119.html

On the San Gorgonio Wilderness forum the members report seeing rattlesnakes on the trails some times too. Not as often as under 6K but they are there.

http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/

toby
08-11-2010, 9:01 PM
I went to the Mojave Preserve in June and I was worried I'd run into buncha rattlers. To my surprise, there was none not even 1. For the first couple hours I was so cautious, looking everywhere I step and checked over and over before I sat down near a rock or crevice. Eh...im glad I didn't see any lol but still :confused:

Be real carefull here this is the home of the Mojave Green Rattler yes they are green and they kind of change colors depending where they are.

bpenn
08-26-2010, 9:01 PM
We've been killing more of them each year over the past 3 years at my parents place in Big Bear (~7,000 foot level). I think its more of a temperature thing than altitude, but I have no basis for that opinion!

CSACANNONEER
08-26-2010, 9:11 PM
I got this one tonight when I took the doogs out to go potty. They were running off lead at the time so, I decided to water my wife's plants and found this:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/snakes/002.jpg
I'm glad I walked out a different door!
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/snakes/003.jpg

This makes 4 for me at home. I rode 2 feet away from one Wednesday night while riding a quad around here too.

eastbayjordan
08-26-2010, 9:14 PM
snake is gooood

CSACANNONEER
08-26-2010, 9:15 PM
snake is gooood

and, in the freezer until next weekend when, I can share it.

Abesnake
08-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Hey, Greg I remember you telling me to be sure and close the door whenever leaving your house. You forgot to tell me to look around the corner before stepping outside. LOL

Abesnake
08-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Friend of mine from Az. told me we're lucky in Cali. Evidently the rattlers in Az. will chase you when you back away. Nasty!

m98
08-27-2010, 1:33 AM
I've seen a good 6 ft'r near the american river 2weeks back. And damn I sure wish I was packing something hot with me.

Abesnake
08-27-2010, 6:38 PM
I've seen a good 6 ft'r near the american river 2weeks back. And damn I sure wish I was packing something hot with me.

Rocks will do fine. :D

m98
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Rocks will do fine. :D

Thats exactly one weapon of choice I was looking for but I was in an area that has just dead foothill vegitation and dirt. There wasnt even a sturdy Dead branch nearby that I could use. I've never felt so naked in my life at that moment

mif_slim
08-28-2010, 8:37 AM
AMADOR COUNTY, Calif. --
Rattlesnakes are biting at a record pace in Amador County this year.

Dr. Bob Hartmann, an internist and Amador County's Public Health Officer, said seven bites to humans have been reported in the county this year so far -- that's the highest number in previous years.

One bite victim was given seven doses of antivenom, which cost $2,000 apiece, according to the doctor. She brought the snake to the office with her in a bucket, which officials say not to do.

The Amador County Animal Control Department said it doesn't remove snakes, but recommends some companies that can help get rid of the creatures from your home.

Sounded like a fishing report! lol

Thanks!

ilikerugers
08-28-2010, 10:18 PM
maybe there's a lot of mice and rats this year, isn't that what rattler's mostly eat?

WTSGDYBBR
08-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Question if you get bit by a rattler's whats would be the best thing to do. Just tie off the wound and try to seek help ? We drive out a few hours to go hunting sometime it would take a few hours to get back.

mecam
08-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Question if you get bit by a rattler's whats would be the best thing to do. Just tie off the wound and try to seek help ? We drive out a few hours to go hunting sometime it would take a few hours to get back.

Go to the hospital ASAP. Don't mess around.

This thread and watching Billy the Exterminator made me order some Rocky Prolight Snake Boots. :rolleyes:

Rattlesnake Bite caught on camera. Look how freaking huge the swell is.. :eek:

EpcDZbXslfw

-