PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Transport

Donny1
08-11-2010, 11:10 AM
No, not a dupe to the rifle on motorcycle thread but related.

I'm picking up a pistol from Turners today from a PPT I did and I wanted to klnow if I can carry it in locked, in the case, stuffed inside my jacket on my motorcycle. Or does it have to be in a separate container, ie, backpack, sadlebag, etc?

Thanks

Purple K
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
As long as it's unloaded and in a locked container you can carry it as you see fit.

GrizzlyGuy
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
You're good to go with the locked case stuffed inside your jacket. Since you are transporting via motor vehicle (your motorcycle) you will be using an exemption in 12026.1 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.1.html).

Donny1
08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks, after 6:03 pm it will be mine.

empiregunner
08-11-2010, 8:02 PM
what kind of case do you have, that locks and fits in your jacket?
just wondering, as I to ride alot, and feel forced to cage it when i go shoot.

thevic
08-11-2010, 8:07 PM
holster it on you hip unlocked unloaded and dont ride through a GFSZ

thevic
08-11-2010, 8:08 PM
^^oh yeah. not concealed either

:)

VTRweasel
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I picked up a gun on my bike today. The dealer didn't even blink an eye. I wouldn't stuff in my jacket though. Not for legal reasons but for fear I'd lose it or crash and have it stolen or something.

TURBOELKY
08-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I would love to see the look on a cops face when he pulled up next to that!!!:p

thevic
08-11-2010, 10:29 PM
just wave and act like its no ones business. :)

PsychGuy274
08-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Make sure it's in a locked container, not just with a cable lock or something.

motorhead
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
lock on container, not the gun.

rromeo
08-13-2010, 11:12 AM
The case for my J frame would easily fit in my jacket. It's about the size of a hardcover novel.

canyonbreeze
08-20-2010, 9:30 AM
My bike only has a tank bag for any kind of storage. If I put my sub-compact unloaded Glock in a small locked metal box and put it in the tank bag I assume that is within the law. Can I also have loaded magazines in the tank bag if they are not in the metal box? Or could I carry the magazines on a belt or in pockets?

rromeo
08-20-2010, 9:47 AM
My bike only has a tank bag for any kind of storage. If I put my sub-compact unloaded Glock in a small locked metal box and put it in the tank bag I assume that is within the law. Can I also have loaded magazines in the tank bag if they are not in the metal box? Or could I carry the magazines on a belt or in pockets?That should be legal. You can keep the magazines in the tank bag as well.

GrizzlyGuy
08-20-2010, 9:48 AM
My bike only has a tank bag for any kind of storage. If I put my sub-compact unloaded Glock in a small locked metal box and put it in the tank bag I assume that is within the law. Can I also have loaded magazines in the tank bag if they are not in the metal box? Or could I carry the magazines on a belt or in pockets?

Yes, that is legal. You'd be using the 12026.1 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.1.html) exemption like Donny.

Since the gun is locked in a container, the filled magazines can be carried anywhere (just not in the mag well). IMHO the best place would be within the locked container with the gun as that would minimize the potential for drama should you get stopped by a LEO and he finds the magazines.

Decoligny
08-20-2010, 9:50 AM

You can have the full magazines either in the metal box right next to the gun, or you can have them beside the metal box in the tank bag, or you can put them in your jacket pockets, or on your belt, or duct taped to your forehead. All are legal ways of transporting.

The only thing that will get you in trouble is if the full magazines are transported while actually in the magazine well of the handgun.

canyonbreeze
08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks all. I'll just have to remember to take both out before crossing over to Tijuana. :eek: