PDA

View Full Version : New 07FFL, any advice?

NDFMF
08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm a couple weeks away from getting my 07FFL.

I had my interview on Friday, and I'm pretty excited about finally being able to start up my business.

I don't have a lot of capital, so I am trying to start very small. PPTs, maybe some custom AR-builds, etc.

Is there any friendly advice that some of the veteran FFLs here can offer?

Table Rock Arms
08-11-2010, 7:12 PM
Congratulations. I had my Interview Friday for my 07 FFL as well. Did they tell you it would only be a couple weeks? My guy said it would be approved, but he never said how long it would take for me to receive it. A couple of weeks would be nice.

NDFMF
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
The lady who conducted my interview told me the same thing, that it would be approved. But, she also said I would have my license most likely by the end of next week. I would imagine you could expect the same. She also mentioned that if I hadn't heard anything within 2 weeks, that I should call the regional supervisor (her boss) and make sure they sent it out.

Congrats to you too, by the way.

spencerhut
08-12-2010, 6:22 AM
The lady who conducted my interview told me the same thing, that it would be approved. But, she also said I would have my license most likely by the end of next week. I would imagine you could expect the same. She also mentioned that if I hadn't heard anything within 2 weeks, that I should call the regional supervisor (her boss) and make sure they sent it out.

Congrats to you too, by the way.

Get your other paperwork (Centralized list should be next) ready to send now. Things will start happening faster than you might expect.

NDFMF
08-12-2010, 8:48 AM
Get your other paperwork (Centralized list should be next) ready to send now. Things will start happening faster than you might expect.

Yep, good call. I was thinking that too, so I've got my paperwork all filled out and ready to send as soon as I have my valid license. My business license from the county is also pending receipt of my FFL.

VIGILANCE
08-12-2010, 1:35 PM
Since you are a "manufacture" of firearms you might want to contact ITAR and make sure you don't need to register with them too. This kept us at an 01FFL instead of the 07 the registration is around $2700.00 per year which out weighed the benefits of the 07.....

NDFMF
08-12-2010, 1:38 PM
Since you are a "manufacture" of firearms you might want to contact ITAR and make sure you don't need to register with them too. This kept us at an 01FFL instead of the 07 the registration is around $2700.00 per year which out weighed the benefits of the 07.....

ITAR is different than the excise tax you pay on every firearm you make right? Aren't they only if you are going to be exporting firearms? I don't plan on doing that.

freonr22
08-12-2010, 1:47 PM
i think if you are an 06 (ammo?) you need Itar even if not exporting

Mssr. Eleganté
08-12-2010, 1:51 PM
ITAR is different than the excise tax you pay on every firearm you make right? Aren't they only if you are going to be exporting firearms? I don't plan on doing that.

You need to register with ITAR if you are an 07 FFL. If you won't be making anything for export then you only have to pay the Tier 1 registration of $2,250 per year. If you start exporting stuff then the fee can go as high as $2750 per year, plus $250 for every export application over 10 per year that you submit.

NDFMF
08-12-2010, 1:55 PM
You need to register with ITAR if you are an 07 FFL. If you won't be making anything for export then you only have to pay the Tier 1 registration of $2,250 per year. If you start exporting stuff then the fee can go as high as $2750 per year, plus $250 for every export application over 10 per year that you submit.

So what if I am only building custom AR's and the like out of parts, or doing stuff that's technically only gun smithing, but still requires an 07 FFL? $2250 seems like an awfully high registration fee for every little guy out there who wants to try his hand at the business.

Additionally, it seems the term "manufacturing" is VERY liberally defined for something that costs your business $2,250/yr.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-12-2010, 2:06 PM
So what if I am only building custom AR's and the like out of parts, or doing stuff that's technically only gun smithing, but still requires an 07 FFL? $2250 seems like an awfully high registration fee for every little guy out there who wants to try his hand at the business.

The way it works is anybody who is allowed to manufacture "arms" has to register with ITAR, even if they don't manufacture "arms". Since an 07 FFL is allowed to manufacture "arms" they have to register. It seems expensive to me too. There are probably many small time 07 FFLs who haven't registered and haven't been caught yet. I don't know what the penalties are for getting caught or if the State Department has any enforcement activity against small time FFLs.

damjo
08-12-2010, 2:59 PM
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

lots of reading

Table Rock Arms
08-12-2010, 3:22 PM
The way it works is anybody who is allowed to manufacture "arms" has to register with ITAR, even if they don't manufacture "arms". Since an 07 FFL is allowed to manufacture "arms" they have to register. It seems expensive to me too. There are probably many small time 07 FFLs who haven't registered and haven't been caught yet. I don't know what the penalties are for getting caught or if the State Department has any enforcement activity against small time FFLs.

I was told buy the guy that did my interview that the penalty is 10 years in federal Prison and a fine of several hundred k. He also told me that there is like 200 firearms manufactures in Oregon (that is where I'm at) and he only knows of 8 that pay ITAR. He basically said he doesn't care if I pay it or not, just that I have been warned and it is up to me. He did mention that the rumor going around is that the State Department is gonna start cracking down on the smaller company's.

GetBulletsandBrass
09-14-2010, 6:31 PM
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

lots of reading

Thanks for sharing the info, was just starting to do research on this to determine if I need to register with the State Department since I have my 07FFL.