PDA

View Full Version : New Gal with legal question.

SacCityShooter
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi folks

I guess you would call me a "lurker". I've been a fan of this site for quite a while but have never had a good reason to break my silence til now.

I have a query for the people who know:

I moved to Ca about 8 months ago. I came here from a state that you would love to live in as a gun owner, we scored very low on the Brady scale. When I came here to attend college I brought a handgun. A nice little Bersa 380. I did not do anything about the gun except tuck it in my new fire safe. I did not research Ca law or ask any questions re what should happen re my gun. I guess I have been lulled into complacency by logical gun law in my home state. I DID NOT LET CA KNOW THAT I BROUGHT A HAND GUN!!!!!!

Now, having read a bit on this forum I am a bit nervous, what do I do to avoid being a "bad" guy in Ca?

I read that I should have self registered within 60 days about 150 days after getting here.

What do I do now?

I just reread this post and I sound like a fed troll..... I really am not, I just don't know what to do beside tossing my Bersa into the surfa.

Help?

n

Untamed1972
08-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Just file the form and send in the money. DOJ had bigger fish to fry.

choprzrul
08-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Take it back out of the state and then bring it back in. You have 60 days to self register after bringing it into the state.

Maestro Pistolero
08-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Please immediately delete the content of your post and PM Gene Hoffman for instructions on how to register your gun.

BigDogatPlay
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Just file the form and send in the money. DOJ had bigger fish to fry.

^^ This ^^

OleCuss
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi folks

I guess you would call me a "lurker". I've been a fan of this site for quite a while but have never had a good reason to break my silence til now.

I have a query for the people who know:

I moved to Ca about 8 months ago. I came here from a state that you would love to live in as a gun owner, we scored very low on the Brady scale. When I came here to attend college I brought a handgun. A nice little Bersa 380. I did not do anything about the gun except tuck it in my new fire safe. I did not research Ca law or ask any questions re what should happen re my gun. I guess I have been lulled into complacency by logical gun law in my home state. I DID NOT LET CA KNOW THAT I BROUGHT A HAND GUN!!!!!!

Now, having read a bit on this forum I am a bit nervous, what do I do to avoid being a "bad" guy in Ca?

I read that I should have self registered within 60 days about 150 days after getting here.

What do I do now?

I just reread this post and I sound like a fed troll..... I really am not, I just don't know what to do beside tossing my Bersa into the surfa.

Help?

n

Just go ahead and register the thing. They'll just be happy that you did so and they really aren't going to worry overly much about when it got here.

Understand, they've got issues on registration. There are a bunch of registrations that actually got destroyed. So you can have a gun which you registered years ago which is unregistered so far as the State of California is concerned.

So just register the thing and don't fret.

And it's good to have you on board.

Edit: It's not a bad idea to delete the thread, but seriously, it's not a big deal.

ZenDaddy
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
^^ This ^^
@ BigDog I respect the advice. What I hear you say here is to submit the situation to the powers that be and take my lumps if there are lumps to take.

Am I wrong? Should I expect lumps? I hate lumps....

thedrickel
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

(B) Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a person who reports
his or her ownership of a handgun after the applicable grace period
specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of that
violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the
report described in paragraph (2) or (3).

You are exempt from prosecution if the only way they find out you didn't register in time, is because you sent in the form after the cutoff date. They don't care, as long as the gun gets registered (voluntarily by you). I forgot . . . they want that $19 too!

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
They don't care, as long as the gun gets registered (voluntarily by you).

Hell, I don't think they care abot "registration" as much as they care about the "fees" otherwise known as illegal taxes that they feel the need to collect!

Glock22Fan
08-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the board!

And don't worry. Just register it and be on the safe side. No big deal whether you do or don't, but to be on the side of the angels, you should.

Main advantage of registration, if you ever make the mistake of getting caught with it either concealed or loaded (where it should not be concealed or loaded), the charge(s) will only be misdemeanors instead of felonies.

SacCityShooter
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Thank you all. I don't want to overreact to my own dumb oversight. Should I really delete this thread? If so, please personal message me and make it so and all that.

Jen

BigDogatPlay
08-11-2010, 11:12 AM
@ BigDog I respect the advice. What I hear you say here is to submit the situation to the powers that be and take my lumps if there are lumps to take.

Am I wrong? Should I expect lumps? I hate lumps....

Are you wrong? I don't know. Should you expect lumps for....... :confused:

SacCityShooter
08-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I would like to have a ccp here as I do in my home state. I don't want to @#$% that up with this.

Rekrab
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
In Sacramento? Good luck. In most densely populated areas CCWs are next to impossible to get. I'm pretty sure unless you're a celebrity, politician, or a generous contributor to a sheriff's campaign you're not going to be getting one.

Glock22Fan
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
In Sacramento? Good luck. In most densely populated areas CCWs are next to impossible to get. I'm pretty sure unless you're a celebrity, politician, or a generous contributor to a sheriff's campaign you're not going to be getting one.

Actually, Jen's chances of getting a CCW in Sacramento are far better at this time than mine are in L.A. County.

All depends upon whether she can present an acceptable "Good Cause." See other threads on Sacramento, Jen, for more data, or TBJ's website (below).

Note though, that most people regard a .380 as marginal for self defense and it is the smallest caliber that many (most?) departments will accept for CCW.

And, Jen, don't worry about deleting your post. In general, it isn't a good idea to publicise details of possible crimes: in this case, the issue isn't serious enough to bother. Just go ahead and register now, cutting the ground out from under their feet.

SamsDX
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Let's "re-confirm" some facts before getting all worried about deleting this thread, etc. From what you wrote above, it wasn't entirely clear where your fire safe was located. I know you said you brought the firearm here, but that statement in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean that the safe is also here; you could have brought it here, took it back out of the state within a few days, and put it back in your safe at home. You've also said that you hadn't done any research about "bringing in a firearm" to California. That, to me, sounds like you just didn't look up anything about the importation of the firearm, not about keeping the firearm in this state. Just bringing it in temporarily for a range trip or something like that isn't illegal, or something that requires registration. So far, it doesn't look like you've admitted anything wrong.

If you want to keep the firearm here, just register it and pay the $19. Late, or whatever, not really a big deal as others have said.

pullnshoot25
08-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Just file it. There is no criminal penalty for not doing so in the right timeframe or even at all, just fyi.

SDI
08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I have registered guns years after moving here, no issues. If you do decide to apply for a CCW, it will need to be registered.

CHS
08-11-2010, 1:15 PM
Have you actually moved and established residence here, or are you still just a college student with residence back home?

If it's the former, register the gun. If the latter, don't worry about it until you become a full-blooded CA resident.

hoffmang
08-11-2010, 8:34 PM
Please don't delete your thread and you don't need to PM me to follow the excellent advice above. Just send in the volreg form and your check for $19 and sleep easily knowing that CA knows you own a Bersa .380...

-Gene

CaliforniaLiberal
08-11-2010, 8:52 PM
Welcome to CalGuns Jen!

You've come at an interesting time. Some well crafted Gun Rights lawsuits have been filed and more are on the way. You might well be able to get that CCW without political ties to the County Sheriff before too long.

hoffmang
08-11-2010, 9:11 PM
Looking at her posting location, she can obtain a CCW as soon as she has the patience to go through the process...

-Gene

SacCityShooter
08-11-2010, 9:34 PM
Please don't delete your thread and you don't need to PM me to follow the excellent advice above. Just send in the volreg form and your check for $19 and sleep easily knowing that CA knows you own a Bersa .380...

-Gene

Thank you all so much for the hospitality and advice, I'm very glad I posted. I will register and rest easy. :)

bruceflinch
08-11-2010, 9:41 PM
Welcome to CGN!

jdberger
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Looking at her posting location, she can obtain a CCW as soon as she has the patience to go through the process...

-Gene

:whistling:

Munk
08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
As per usual, listen to the HoffmanG.

Now for my hyper-paranoia interpretation that is "theoretically" possible.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

Originally Posted by PC 12072 (f) (4) (B)

(B) Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a person who reports
his or her ownership of a handgun after the applicable grace period
specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of that
violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the
report described in paragraph (2) or (3).

You are exempt from prosecution if the only way they find out you didn't register in time, is because you sent in the form after the cutoff date. They don't care, as long as the gun gets registered (voluntarily by you). I forgot . . . they want that $19 too!

The exemptions to prosecution apply if their "ONLY" evidence is your submission of the form. HOWEVER, the form in this case MIGHT NOT be the ONLY evidence against you, since you've admitted it on this forum, thus making your post into supporting evidence that predates the submission of the form.

remember, this is the hyper paranoid interpretation of what might happen if a prosectutor feels like crucifying someone who wants to do the right thing. Get the form submitted, and welcome to the forums and to California.

Maestro Pistolero
08-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Excellent catch, Munk.

However unlikely prosecution may be for such a minor offense, THIS THREAD NEEDS TO GO AWAY, to avoid legal exposure to the OP. I normally defer to Gene on legal matters, and i am hardly a FUD kind of guy, But leaving this up this is an unnecessary risk to the OP in my opinion. Nothing is gained by leaving this up. The requested information has been amply provided.

gunsmith
08-12-2010, 8:55 AM
I've moved to and from CA like a bazillion times, they do not care at all ... not even a little bit. They love it when you give them money though.
I'm not moving back untill CA is shall issue & the ignorant so called AWB is thrown out.
Go Team Beat State!

hoffmang
08-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Excellent catch, Munk.

However unlikely prosecution may be for such a minor offense, THIS THREAD NEEDS TO GO AWAY, to avoid legal exposure to the OP. I normally defer to Gene on legal matters, and i am hardly a FUD kind of guy, But leaving this up this is an unnecessary risk to the OP in my opinion. Nothing is gained by leaving this up. The requested information has been amply provided.

If the OP has a problem, CGF will defend her... I'd really enjoy hearing how someone figuring out how to comply has the mens rea to be prosecuted...

-Gene

motorhead
08-13-2010, 9:48 AM
welcome to calguns and our beloved peoples republik!