PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for boat shotgun

bootcamp
05-01-2006, 8:31 AM
Hey All,

I need a recommendation for a boat shotgun. I need the cheapest single shot shotgun out there. Something that will shoot buckshot or slugs. It will be kept aboard a saltwater f/v so it doesn't need to be great or fancy, just needs to do the job. Price range of $100 or less if possible.

I was thinking mossberg but my other slip mates said it's too nice to get rusted and beat up. Short, single shot and ugly is what they recommended.

Thanks.

Stanze
05-01-2006, 8:44 AM
Single shot? Bleh.

Mossberg 500 Mariner, would be a good choice, you can swap the barrel out with a 28" barrel for clay pigeon shooting.

asintado
05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
You can pick yourself up a Rossi or H&R/New England Firearms single shot shotgun in gauges from 12 and as small as .410 bore. I'm guessing you're in the market for a 12 guage, in which case Rossi has. THe only brand new one I saw from H&R/NEF was a .22LR/.410 combo. Plus if you go to atigunstocks.com you can hook up your single shot Rossi with an array of goodies from AR style butt stocks, barrel heat shields, even a tactical shell holder to mount on your AR butt stock. I think it would make a neat little boat gun however I'd soak down that thing in some WD-40 just in case.

asintado
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
On guns america there are a couple H&R 88 Toppers and Pardners for $75. Just a thought.

bootcamp
05-01-2006, 1:47 PM
You can pick yourself up a Rossi or H&R/New England Firearms single shot shotgun in gauges from 12 and as small as .410 bore. I'm guessing you're in the market for a 12 guage, in which case Rossi has. THe only brand new one I saw from H&R/NEF was a .22LR/.410 combo. Plus if you go to atigunstocks.com you can hook up your single shot Rossi with an array of goodies from AR style butt stocks, barrel heat shields, even a tactical shell holder to mount on your AR butt stock. I think it would make a neat little boat gun however I'd soak down that thing in some WD-40 just in case.

Got a link to those Rossi shotguns? I need 12 gauge.

asintado
05-01-2006, 3:48 PM
http://www.rossiusa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=SFS

here you go.

asintado
05-01-2006, 3:56 PM
http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-rossi.html

here's some things that might help it reduce in size.

CAT_101
05-01-2006, 7:13 PM
Single shot? Bleh.

Mossberg 500 Mariner, would be a good choice, you can swap the barrel out with a 28" barrel for clay pigeon shooting.

I would have to agre. Mossberg is a nice shotgun that you can pick uo at big five for cheep. get the 500a 7+1. can change barrel on it as well. But I shoot 2 3/4 slugs at 50 yards no prob.

maxicon
05-01-2006, 8:31 PM
Are you talking about a shotgun for self-defense on a boat? I can't believe people are actually suggesting single-shots, particularly Rossi and NEF. They're great guns, no doubt, but they're not going to hold up in the marine environment, and a rusted single-shot is no better than a rusted pump.

Seriously, you wouldn't use a single-shot for home defense, would you?

The best choice is the Mossberg Mariner. Very rust resistant, time-tested Mossberg 500 design. It's a bit more expensive, sure, but if you're serious about boat defense, it's the way to go.

They used to make an orange one that was a line launcher as well, so if you traveled in international waters, it looked more like a boat tool than an evil shotgun.

Here's a string of threads in the usenet archives on this discussion - highly recommended reading.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=boat+shotgun&safe=off

If a single-shot is all you really think you'll need, ignore these suggestions, and find a stainless or nickel-plated one.

max

asintado
05-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't think it would be used for self defense or anything of that nature. If he's only willing to spend less then a benjamin he's probably only using it to take out big fish or sharks before brining it on board.

bootcamp
05-09-2006, 3:01 PM
I don't think it would be used for self defense or anything of that nature. If he's only willing to spend less then a benjamin he's probably only using it to take out big fish or sharks before brining it on board.

You hit the nail on the head. Although I just came from big 5. There were several there.

1. Rossi single shot $79

2. Mossberg 500 combo 18.5" and 28" barrel $229

3. Security Brand auto loading shotgun $259

It's for big fish and potentially dangerous amphibians in a marine ocean environment. I can get the Mossberg, but I would hate for it to go to **** within a month.

I cannot afford the Mariner nor would I spend the money if I could. ~$450+

I told the guy I would sleep on it. What do you guys think?

maxicon
05-10-2006, 6:30 PM
The single shot's hard to beat for price and reliability, though they're usually light enough that they'll beat you up a bit in 12 gauge (not that you're likely to be shooting it a lot). I've got an H&R Topper single shot in .410 that's a great shotgun, but probably a bit light for marine use.

The plus of this is low cost, extreme reliability, very few moving parts, and easy maintenance. Even in a salt environment, a few drops of oil in the moving parts, an oiled patch down the barrel, and a good wipedown with CLP before storing it should protect it just fine. Since there are so few moving parts, even a little surface rust is unlikely to cause trouble if the bore's kept clean.

At that price, you could go through 3 of them before you reached the cost of the Mossberg (not counting DROS and all).

With a bit of practice and a sidesaddle shell holder, you can eject the old and load a fresh round pretty durn quickly.

If you got an H&R/NEF (http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/topper.aspx), you could have a bit of fun with it turning it into an Evil Black Gun replica and have the most tactical single-shot shotgun in the 'hood - http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-HRNEF.html

All the moving parts on a pump gun are going to leave a lot more places for salt spray to hide, and rust on them will bog down the action of the gun.

max

VeryCoolCat
05-10-2006, 7:10 PM
Just make sure you get a MARINE specific firearm.

If Nickel plating prevents rust, won't lock up. If you use a regular cheap shotgun and don't clean it. Particularly while out at Sea, you'll get rust and you'll get a broken shotgun.

Timberland
05-10-2006, 9:26 PM
Thats great I just stumbeled on to this post, I was thinking of getting Big 5's mossy deal, now I am seriously thinking of getting that and a singel shot just to save the $25 dros

five.five-six
05-10-2006, 9:34 PM
if this is going to be a salt enviromen, stainless is the way to go. you can find a used mariner for under $300 on gun broker here is a mariner for $328 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=48628522) and it will work or a long time

asintado
05-10-2006, 9:36 PM
You hit the nail on the head. Although I just came from big 5. There were several there.

1. Rossi single shot $79

2. Mossberg 500 combo 18.5" and 28" barrel $229

3. Security Brand auto loading shotgun $259

It's for big fish and potentially dangerous amphibians in a marine ocean environment. I can get the Mossberg, but I would hate for it to go to **** within a month.

I cannot afford the Mariner nor would I spend the money if I could. ~$450+

I told the guy I would sleep on it. What do you guys think?

Go for it (the Rossi) but first, look around and see if you can find a H&R/NEF locally on gunsamerica (try to avoid spending more on a FFL transfer). If that proves unfruitful then I'd take a tour of your local pawn shops and mom & pop gun stores to see if they have something cheaper in stock. If they can't beat Big 5's price then pick up the Rossi.

maxicon
05-10-2006, 9:45 PM
Go for it (the Rossi) but first, look around and see if you can find a H&R/NEF locally on gunsamerica (try to avoid spending more on a FFL transfer). If that proves unfruitful then I'd take a tour of your local pawn shops and mom & pop gun stores to see if they have something cheaper in stock. If they can't beat Big 5's price then pick up the Rossi.

I saw a couple of H&Rs down at the Gun Exchange in San Jose, but even used, they're not as cheap as that Rossi at Big 5. H&R's got a better rep than Rossi, so you'd have to handle them to see.

I think the ones I saw were in the $90-100 range, but it was a month or two ago.

max

jessegpresley
05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I just thought I'd throw out two other shotguns designed for maritime use. The Benelli Nova H20:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/images/benellinovajb1606.jpg

And the Remington 870 Marine Magnum:

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/870marinemag[1a].jpg