PDA

View Full Version : Contact info for Allison M. at DOJ?

EBWhite
05-01-2006, 12:47 AM
I have a written question for her, does anyone have here contact information where to send my letter to?

thanks
EB

Jeff Rambo
05-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Send it to whatever address is listed for the DOJ Firearms Division on their web site, Attn: Allison Merriles.

Matt C
05-01-2006, 1:05 AM
What do you want, a date? ;)

Pun intended.

50 Freak
05-01-2006, 1:25 AM
What do you want, a date?

Pun intended.

Why is she hot??? Maybe I can "win" her over to the "dark side"....:cool: :cool:

glen avon
05-01-2006, 8:10 AM
artherd has her address in his sig line IIRC

bwiese
05-01-2006, 9:54 AM
EB,

I have a written question for her, does anyone have here contact information where to send my letter to?
thanks
EB

If you can disclose, what is your question? Perhaps we can help formulate it and tweak it to get a good clean answer...

EBWhite
05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I am in the process of designing a AR grip that is CA compliant. I just finished the prototype last night and I like it. I want to get approval from Allison since it 100% meets the criteria for not being a pistol grip and without approval the grip is worthless. I am going to refine it and go shooting to see how it works out. Once I am completed and get approval- I will loan one to bweise, tenpercent, etc to see what they think about it and if they like it too, i will be making a few for sale...

bwiese
05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
am in the process of designing a AR grip that is CA compliant. I just finished the prototype last night and I like it. I want to get approval from Allison since it 100% meets the criteria for not being a pistol grip and without approval the grip is worthless. I am going to refine it and go shooting to see how it works out. Once I am completed and get approval- I will loan one to bweise, tenpercent, etc to see what they think about it and if they like it too, i will be making a few for sale...

OK, Alison will just forward it on to their tech people (perhaps Iggy will be involved - he was in the Vulcan). The letter you get back may well be not from her.

I would caution you to be VERY careful with pistol grips, as the 978.20(b) definition is murky and is nowhere near as clear as the 978.20(a) definition of detachable magazine. You don't want to expose yourself to risk beforehand.

Ideally you should draw up your concept, first, on a cheap CAD program. There may be some public AR15 CAD files from which you can use as a base.
Then submit this drawing and ask for permission to make an exemplar for their further analysis.

Your letter should be phrased so as to enquire whether or not the grip fits the definition of the 978.20(b) pistol grip that is one characteristic feature of the 12276.1 generic assault weapon definition.

Remember several things about DOJ approval of such items:
DOJ may hold you to a higher standard than law actually requires in order to get "DOJ blessing" (we saw this with glued-in mags on Vulcans even though 978.20(a) clearly does not require this).
There is a chance that even if DOJ approves, a local DA might not like it if it's too close to the line (and the pistol grip definition is not that great), so beware.

Good luck.

EBWhite
05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I have already made the item and bolted it to my fab-10 so I am not putting myself in a bad position if they say "no".

I figured Allison would be the best to ask but getting an approval from anyone at DOJ would be fine. I figured to send them a few photos of what is looks like and one photo of me gripping the firearm with it attached.

Bweise- im sending a pm to show you the letter ive come up with so far.

EB