PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Issues when shooting on public land

crzpete
04-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Has anyone encounter any problems with the law, sheriff, BLM officials or other when shooting your off-list CLSLR? I would like to know how you guys would handle this scenario knowing you have all proper documentation to show etc.. I guess I would like to be prepared for a “just in case” thanks.

Pete-

Tyler
05-01-2006, 12:05 AM
I pretty much only shoot on BLM land, and if any LEO has an issue out there I would tell them to take it up with the sheriff (my father-in-law), so anyone else should just just tell them it's legal and if they don't know the law they should contact a superior to find out.

shopkeep
05-01-2006, 1:47 AM
I used to only shoot my off-listers on public ranges and Nevada BLM land. Then I discovered a VERY cool spot in Cali to shoot them... yeah I know it's pinned mags in Cali, but hey at least it's BLM land so that's half cool :)!

I haven't ever run into Law Enforcement on Public land yet. I imagine if I did I would just show them all the paperwork I keep with me. I keep all of the paperwork from TonyNorCal's sticky as well as a letter about the STAG-15.

The only encounter I ever had with a Law Enforcement Officer on a public range I explained the legalities of the off-list lowers and briefed him on the situation. Then he helped me sight in my A2 rifle :D.

Ford8N
05-01-2006, 6:24 AM
Where I shoot you need a 4X4 to get there and the brush will scratch the hell out of the paint job. Therefore, I rarely ever see anyone at all.;)

snobordr
05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I pretty much only shoot on BLM land, and if any LEO has an issue out there I would tell them to take it up with the sheriff (my father-in-law), so anyone else should just just tell them it's legal and if they don't know the law they should contact a superior to find out.

Let me know how that works out the first time you are out of Daddy's jurisdiction. Lipping an LEO only serves one purpose, to make your life harder.

ETA: There is a post at the top of the forum that discusses this, probably a good idea to have the mentioned paperwork on hand, be courteous and polite to the LEO, and offer him a few rounds with it.

50 Shooter
05-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Never had any problems with BLM Rangers and our group is always polite. I agree with Snobordr, people usually get themselves into more trouble by running their mouths. Everytime we've talked to Rangers they're usually just checking to see what our targets are, backstop and to watch out for hunters. Never had one question what we were shooting or come off like an *****hole. Still have yet to get one to shoot a .50 though.:p

I would suggest that you carry a copy of any AW paperwork and a copy of the memo about shooting on BLM land with AW's. If in doubt, call the local BLM station on where you're planning on shooting.

shopkeep
05-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Never had any problems with BLM Rangers and our group is always polite. I agree with Snobordr, people usually get themselves into more trouble by running their mouths. Everytime we've talked to Rangers they're usually just checking to see what our targets are, backstop and to watch out for hunters. Never had one question what we were shooting or come off like an *****hole. Still have yet to get one to shoot a .50 though.:p

I would suggest that you carry a copy of any AW paperwork and a copy of the memo about shooting on BLM land with AW's. If in doubt, call the local BLM station on where you're planning on shooting.

Could we get a link to the memo on AWs on BLM land?

50 Shooter
05-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Someone posted it here, sure they will post it again. I think ARM USA has it somewhere on their website. Try a search and post the link when you find it please.:)

50 Shooter
05-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Found the link, follow this one and then the PDF file for ARM USA. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=30168&highlight=aw%27s+blm+land

Ford8N
05-01-2006, 4:55 PM

I've noticed the same thing. If your an a**, they can make it a really uncomfortable situation. 99.9% of the time, a Rangers job is resource protection. That is what they look for, not trying to figure out what is legal or not. Make their job easy and they will leave ya alone.;)

Diabolus
05-01-2006, 5:56 PM
I went shooting this weekend in Bakersfield, CA. Shooting on public land for about 15 minutes, we were so involved with our shooting we did not see two marked Sheriff cars pull up. Two Deputies came out, one with an AR15 and the other with a pistol, ordered me to drop the rifle.

They searched us for weapons, asked for ID's, usual questions (felon? legal gun owner? etc...)

Everything was going fine until the guy carrying the AR15 asked if my M1A was a pre-ban!! :eek:

He was telling his partner how the pistol grip was removed on these models, I started to worry now. He said he called in the serial number to make sure it was legal. About five minutes go by and he handed me back my rifle and said what we were doing was legal and it would be fine to continue shooting. He said they get a lot of calls from people that moved out to the area recently complaining about the noise.

Overall, it worked out fine... I was upset that they even came out to the area if they already knew it was legal and what worried me was the most was his questions regarding my M1A - I have no idea who he called the serial number into.

Do they have a database of all firearms and serial numbers to see if they are registered to their owners?

Pthfndr
05-01-2006, 7:35 PM
Keep in mind that BLM land and National Forest land are NOT the same. NF comes under the department of Agriculture. The BLM letter would not apply to NF areas.

But, FWIW, if you are going to the El Dorado National Forest, AWs are ok. They issued a letter some years back stating so.

In my personal experience, I've never had any kind of LEO hassle me about shooting in the EDNF. Whether it was with an AR, my .50 BMG, or any other firearm. I've definitely never had on approach me with their gun in hand.

dychen
05-01-2006, 7:44 PM
Do you have a copy of that letter for the ELNF or could give me a link to it? I've been told otherwise on AW's and was told by a few they are starting to harass people out there.

crzpete
05-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I've noticed the same thing. If your an a**, they can make it a really uncomfortable situation. 99.9% of the time, a Rangers job is resource protection. That is what they look for, not trying to figure out what is legal or not. Make their job easy and they will leave ya alone.;)

One of my co-workers told me that bout 4 years ago they were shooting on private land in So Cal, on the way out on a single dusty road 3 sherif cars was waiting for them with guns out. They got a call from some one complaining about the noise and also full automatic fire. All they had was regular rifles like bolt actions, ruger 10/22, shotguns etc.. He said that they checked and all went fine. He also mentioned that because all the guns had locks on all of them it made for a better situation.

He did failed to mention if they check the serials on the guns. I guess all situations are completely different but you are right bout one thing, if you talk to the with authority then they might feel inferior. Being respectful and polite sound like a good idea. After all they are the law.:confused:

Pthfndr
05-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Do you have a copy of that letter for the ELNF or could give me a link to it? I've been told otherwise on AW's and was told by a few they are starting to harass people out there.

Sent you a PM.

antarius
05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I've yet to have law enforcement run into me while shooting on BLM land. If they do, I'll identify myself (as a police officer, by the way) and that will most likely be the end of it. At that point I intend on educating them about the CASLR and its legalities!

Most Police Officers are pretty supportive of gun rights, we just don't want felons and other violent criminals getting their hands on them. So long as your a law abiding citizen, up front, honest, and respectful -- I'd bet you'll be sent on your way just fine with no issue what so ever.

And, yes, there is a stolen property system law enforcement can check, and an automated firearm system we can check for ownership/handguns.

All in all.. I've yet to hear of any single person having a problem with these -- and I know everyone in my department loves the idea of CASLR's, and have even bought a couple themselves -- on top of their letter-given department AR's.

Meat
05-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Antarius,

I don't know if I speak everyone, but I sure like reading your posts providing perspecitive from a LEO. I think it keeps these forums from getting too slanted and misinformative. I was reading the "police can search your home without a warrant" thread the other night and found that your posts, on some level, kept the conversation from getting too far out of hand. It's also nice to hear that law enforcement, your agency anyway, is on board with the average citizen's gun ownership rights. Keep 'em coming

metalhead357
05-02-2006, 1:07 AM

for the BLM one-

try this
http://www.50bmgstore.com/50/CAIM2003-049.pdf

for the FS- go to the 'local' website and see if they allow shooting- if they do then AW's ARE INCLUDED in that- you might have to dig for the ordinance but its there..................