View Full Version : shooting glasses

04-30-2006, 5:58 PM
Hi everyone,
I wear glasses because I'm near sighted and have been pushing my glasses up and looking through the top part for almost two decades. I wanted to know if anyone knows of prescription frames designed for shooting, where the lense rides higher so you're looking through the middle of the lense when your cheek is on the stock of a rifle. My optometrist in Fremont only has those fashionable frames that I think look ridiculous, but nothing practical for shooting or bike riding. Oh yes, I also look over the top of my glasses when riding my road bike. Thanks for any advice.

04-30-2006, 6:39 PM
The Decot Hy-Wyd frames sound like what you're looking for.

04-30-2006, 7:19 PM
link (http://www.sportglasses.com/) Very interesting - thanks!

05-02-2006, 9:46 PM
I am very near-sighted (-5.75) and use the Decot frames that adjust up and down. Also look at the Zeiss shooting glasses - the nose bridge also adjusts up and down.

At the time I got my Decots, the Zeiss' were about $50 less. To me, the main difference between the two was that the Zeiss' have a wider gap at the nose - between the lenses. I use them for service rifle competition and when in the prone position, my head is tilted a little bit. This causes me to look thru the upper inside corner of the lense. With the Zeiss', I would be actually looking at the frame/nosepiece.

It is also critical that you use an optician that is familiar with the needs of shooters. For instance - for my aiming eye, the perscription is set to focus on the front sight, about 30" away. Also, the optical center is ground towards the inside, closer to the nose. Where the optical center is placed will depend on what you are shooting - rifle, pistol, skeet, etc.

You can also go for one of the super adjustable frames from Knobloch, Varga, Junkers, etc. The main reason I don't use these are due to their lack of eye protection.

Please excuse the long-winded post.

05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I use these and they are designed specifically for combat/shooting they work very well for me I'm sure these will work for you...

05-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I like Oakleys.....