View Full Version : Out of State Firearm Inheritance.

08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
My uncle died last night and he had a 1911 and a shotgun. The shotgun is very very old. I believe it was my grandfathers fathers. Anyways. Do I need to have them shipped into state through a FFL even though it is an inheritance?

08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

Inheriting guns is one of the few cases where interstate transfers without use of FFLs is OK - under both Fed and CA law.

This must be a true inheritance - someone died and left them to you, not "grampa's getting old and he wants me to have the guns now".

1. The shotgun can be acquired without any paperwork.

2. For the 1911, you should have a current HSC card (Handgun Safety Certificate, available at any CA FFL for $25 and a 15 or 20 question safety test). Within 30 days of acquisition you need to file DOJ "Operation of Law" registration paperwork and there's a $19 fee. (You only have to report the handgun not the rifle.)

Now, having the guns shipped to you may be a problem - UPS/FedEx/USPS may freak seeing the guns are being shipped to an individual and not an FFL.

But you could go pick them up yourself, or someone could transport them to you (as long as that person could legally take paper-free short-term possession of those guns in the state in which your uncle resided.)

08-10-2010, 1:20 PM
Yea it turns out we are gonna drive to TN and pick them up and take care of other affairs.