PDA

View Full Version : *Buckhorns in Glendora is closed and Gunslingers has taken over!*

n2k
08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I just went by today and noticed a sign that stated:

Closed, getting out of the Gun Business

That was pretty upsetting to me, Steve was a great guy with some interesting firearms that would pop up for sale.

Anyone have any info?

I know that the ATF and DOJ were always around. Maybe he had enough.....

dmcag69
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Is he selling the business? I bought my first rifle from this place, a 6.5 Carcano rifle for 64.99 before taxes. This place always stocked some great C&Rs and shotguns. I'm sad to see it go.

I noticed that he did raise his prices (SKS 799 and the down the street at Gunslingers 399-499) and some of the handguns he has on consignment have there for 8 plus months. I know he didn't specialize in OLL, it was in a grey area, but that is what is selling now.

Greg F.
08-10-2010, 1:09 PM
I used to be a regular at Buckhorn years ago, until I had a falling out with Paul. I bought many, many guns there including my first, a Ruger Redhawk ss 41mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. I deal with Jeff at Gunslingers quite a bit now. In fact I have a gun on consignment and another on layaway there right now.
Any of you guys been to Jeff's auctions? Check them out at: www.gunslingerauctions.com He has one coming up next month.

Bruce
08-10-2010, 1:34 PM
Not really surprised. I did a PPT in there a couple of months back. There was hardly any inventory at all. Maybe a dozen or so long guns and about the same in handguns.What he had a lot of was thrift-store junk. As I understand it, he would have closed up in 2008 except for the gun buying spree that resulted from Obama's election.

RedFord150
08-10-2010, 2:46 PM
I live near the shop. I have gone by there several times to find them closed during hours they should be open. Sign on window said 'Gone Flying'. This convinced me the shop was more of a hobby than a real business. I guess I would also rather fly an airplane than sell guns anyway, if I could afford to own or rent an airplane.
OTOH, I am always sad to see another Gun Dealer close up shop. The good ones seem to disappear while the 'Not So Good Ones' thrive.

SVT-40
08-10-2010, 5:25 PM
I'll let a little secret out of the bag. Gunslingers will be moving to the old location of Buckhorn Guns sometime in Sept. Due to the auction we have run out of space in our old location. The Buckhorn site is larger, and will allow for easier use as we will be able to display items for the next auction where potential buyers can see them, as well have more room for more retail sales items.

Steve at Buckhorn has been very gracious and helpful to us during the process of leasing the building.

Buckhorn's closing had nothing to do with any problems with BATFE or DOJ. Steve is going to pursue a different career. We wish him all the success he deserves in his future endeavors.

Our next auction is scheduled for Sept 18th so this will make for a very busy month for us. Please stop by and say hi.

n2k
08-10-2010, 6:41 PM
Well there we go....

Good luck with the move.

toby
08-10-2010, 7:07 PM
This is what happens when everyone starts going to ''Bass ***** shop'' and ''Caboolas'' just to think they are saving a buck or two?....so sad...:(

Cokebottle
08-10-2010, 7:27 PM
Any of you guys been to Jeff's auctions? Check them out at: www.gunslingerauctions.com (http://www.gunslingerauctions.com) He has one coming up next month.
OMG.

With an 03 and COE, I need to stay very far away from this place!!! :D

turbogg
08-10-2010, 9:31 PM
I'll let a little secret out of the bag. Gunslingers will be moving to the old location of Buckhorn Guns sometime in Sept.

Steve at Buckhorn has been very gracious and helpful to us during the process of leasing the building.

Buckhorn's closing had nothing to do with any problems with BATFE or DOJ. Steve is going to pursue a different career. We wish him all the success he deserves in his future endeavors.

Thanks for the good news. Glad to hear it's a win/win situation for you and Steve.

SVT-40
08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
OMG.

With an 03 and COE, I need to stay very far away from this place!!! :D

Oh no, come on bye.....it won't cost you a thing. :D:D We will have some real nice C&R's in the next auction. I'll get to picture taking next week. So we should have pic's of the first 300 items up soon after that.

Also lots of off list pistols and revolvers.

Many many ultra high quality shotguns as well as many real nice rifles too.

spectr17
08-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks SVT-40. Will stop in soon.

5shot
08-10-2010, 11:00 PM
This is what happens when everyone starts going to ''Bass ***** shop'' and ''Caboolas'' just to think they are saving a buck or two?....so sad...:(

I grew up in Whittier (pop. 70,000). In the 60-70s there were at least 5 gun shops in town, and you could also buy guns at Henshaws, Urich Hardware, The Broadway, May Co., J.C. Penneys, Conlin Bros Sporting Goods (2 stores), Whittier Jewelry & Loan, and the Sundown Drive-Iin swapmeet.

Bass Pro or Cabelas had nothing to do with most of those places getting out of gun sales. A anti-gun legislature made it happen all around the state. They made Walmart, the biggest retailer in the world get out of the gun business in California.
I'm actually glad that a big corporation like Bass Pro came to California even though it's one of the most unfriendly state governments to business and especially gun businesses. They also built a huge store in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. They took a chance that the California sportsmen would support their efforts. I think we should support them and what ever small shops are left in our areas.

gobler
08-11-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm torn in a bitter sweet way. Buckhorn has been there for as long as I can remember. I know they have been hit hard by both crime and the economy. I have family across the street six feet under. So when I visit I usually pop in just to see the wares and or buy ammo. My wife picked out the gun she wants at BH and we were saving up for it.. :(

I wish Steve all the best and hope he enjoys his new life path.

Is Gunslingers the one that is on Arrow between Sunflower and Lone Hill, North side?

BigBoyPinoy
08-11-2010, 2:09 AM
Yeah just noticed the papered up windows the other day. Bought a few items from them just recently. They've been around for over 20 years. Anyone know if he had a going out of business sale or will the rest of his left over inventory be going to Gunslingers when they relocate from Arrow? Good luck Steve and all the best.

CalNRA
08-11-2010, 2:28 AM

in my case 8 dollars a box.

That's right, my local gun shop is charging 19.99 for a 50 box of Magtech 9mm fmj, or 21.99 for a 50 box of American Eagle 9mm fmj

And the shop wonders why the inventory is not moving.

elchivato
08-11-2010, 4:28 AM
I went by yesterday, was a bummer. My Grandparents lived up there for years, and business and inventory did seem to dwindle over time. Bought my wife her first gun there.

toby
08-11-2010, 8:54 AM
I grew up in Whittier (pop. 70,000). In the 60-70s there were at least 5 gun shops in town, and you could also buy guns at Henshaws, Urich Hardware, The Broadway, May Co., J.C. Penneys, Conlin Bros Sporting Goods (2 stores), Whittier Jewelry & Loan, and the Sundown Drive-Iin swapmeet.

Bass Pro or Cabelas had nothing to do with most of those places getting out of gun sales. A anti-gun legislature made it happen all around the state. They made Walmart, the biggest retailer in the world get out of the gun business in California.
I'm actually glad that a big corporation like Bass Pro came to California even though it's one of the most unfriendly state governments to business and especially gun businesses. They also built a huge store in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. They took a chance that the California sportsmen would support their efforts. I think we should support them and what ever small shops are left in our areas.

I live right in the heart of all places mentioned and did the same they are all gone now including Frontier gun shop...:(...for me I still keep my $$ in the small shops I can find even if I have to drive all the way to Barstow?

gobler
08-11-2010, 1:50 PM
SVT-40, Perhaps when the new Gunslinger's is ready to open we can have a Calgun get together :D My Bday is on the 14th of Sep and my wife knows what I like :whistling:

dmcag69
08-11-2010, 6:27 PM
I'll let a little secret out of the bag. Gunslingers will be moving to the old location of Buckhorn Guns sometime in Sept. Due to the auction we have run out of space in our old location. The Buckhorn site is larger, and will allow for easier use as we will be able to display items for the next auction where potential buyers can see them, as well have more room for more retail sales items.

Our next auction is scheduled for Sept 18th so this will make for a very busy month for us. Please stop by and say hi.

Stuff that I wish new GUNSLINGERS would stock at their new location since its a larger store.

1. Ruger P95 magazines/ Phoenix HP22 Mags (Basically spare mags for the type of handguns sold at Gunslingers. Its hard to find Ruger MAGS...
2. Surplus 7.62x54R, individual packs 6.99-8.99
3. 6.5 Carcano Ammo, Metric Calibers
4. HI POINT RIFLES 995TS with bullet buttons
5. AK/AR mags, 10/30s
6. Taurus Millennium Pro 45 auto/ 40 SAW (Bass Pro Shops is the only one that sells these and is worse than Turners, its a ***** just waiting to see a gun)
7. Inter Ordinance AK Like Big 5 (Featureless)
8. Pistol Grip shotguns like Buckhorn did

MORE CONSIGNMENT GUNS ON SALE BEFORE AUCTION like RAVENS, pistol grip SHotguns, 22lr rifles and cheap rifles that sell for 50 dollars on the auction, Sell THEm now for like 85 to 190 bucks.
Buckhorn had an all consignment section that I would like to see at Gunslingers. Out of State gun shops have the same section, Used guns.

Cokebottle
08-11-2010, 6:47 PM
I wish Gunslingers would hire a part time employee who owns an armored car company ;)

bjl333
08-11-2010, 7:44 PM

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii , :D

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. :rolleyes:

railroader
08-11-2010, 7:54 PM
On these auctions how can off list handguns be sold to the public? Are they considered private party transfers? Mark

bjl333
08-11-2010, 8:04 PM
On these auctions how can off list handguns be sold to the public? Are they considered private party transfers? Mark

Yes, all guns are PPT/Consignments !! Thats the way I see it ...

INJUNTOM
08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Sad to see businesses closing everywhere.

ke6guj
08-11-2010, 10:24 PM

yes, they are sold as private party/cosignment transfers, which means that they are exempt from the roster, and the 1-in-30-day rule as well.

spectr17
08-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Stopped by Gunslinger's today. Good prices. Jeff had a .17 HRM I want but it had a rightie thumbstock on it. I'm a leftie.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs281.snc4/40387_419945285778_10251505778_5294478_7968929_n.j pg

gobler
08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Stopped by Gunslinger's today. Good prices. Jeff had a .17 HRM I want but it had a rightie thumbstock on it. I'm a leftie.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs281.snc4/40387_419945285778_10251505778_5294478_7968929_n.j pg

Yep that's where I picked up ammo last. Love the shop and yes, Jeff is a cool guy. Glad to know it will expand...more guns :clap:

Lucky Scott
08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I never ever heard of Buckhorns before, but am sorry to see another shop close.
However, I have shopped at Gunslingers many times, and gone to their auction many times and rate them highly. Great store with good people.
Only problem I ever had was buying too many guns at an auction of theirs and being broke for a month.

NovaTodd
08-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the store closing. When I lived in the area (20 years ago) I purchased a lot of my re-loading stuff there. Best of luck in his new venture.

bsg
08-14-2010, 2:26 PM
I never ever heard of Buckhorns before, but am sorry to see another shop close.
However, I have shopped at Gunslingers many times, and gone to their auction many times and rate them highly. Great store with good people.
Only problem I ever had was buying too many guns at an auction of theirs and being broke for a month.

about one year ago when .380 ammo (especially hollow point) was NOT available out in my area... i went to Gunslingers. they happened to have 2 boxes of Winchester silvertiip in the back; they sold them to me at their old price based on what they had paid when the ammo was available. i appreciate that still.

bsg
08-14-2010, 2:27 PM
i'm sorry to hear about the closing of Buckhorn Guns and hope the folks there are moving on to good things....

magic.man
08-14-2010, 6:30 PM
they have good Chinese food next door.

Black_Talon
08-14-2010, 6:55 PM
they have good Chinese food next door.

I thought they sell caskets in the store next door?

magic.man
08-14-2010, 7:42 PM
2 doors down. next door is a head shop. Other side of street is the caskets. Old American style chinese fud. You don't see them type places anymore

MA2
08-20-2010, 7:51 PM
I wish the new Gunslingers would give a free pizza with any gun purchase or auction win :) ...past ones should count too. :D

SVT-40
08-20-2010, 9:32 PM
I wish the new Gunslingers would give a free pizza with any gun purchase or auction win :) ...past ones should count too. :D

Head over to Bada Bing in Norco and show them your receipt... Who knows you might get a discount!!:D

We started clean up and rearranging at the new location today. It's going to take a while to get set up.

There is some excess steel racking. Anyone need some displays??

BigBoyPinoy
08-20-2010, 11:13 PM
There is some excess steel racking. Anyone need some displays??

I might be interested in taking a few off your hands if you're giving them away. I'm also down the street and can pickup asap. Let me know. ;)

SVT-40
09-23-2010, 9:24 AM
We are up and in business at the new location 1750 S Grand Glendora. Stop by if you can.

69Mach1
09-23-2010, 9:43 AM
I will....today.

Agustav
09-23-2010, 1:06 PM
Bought a few C&R rifles and a handgun from the recent Gunslinger auction and drop by the new store yesterday to start on my DROS. The New store is bigger and Jeff is a great guy. I highly recommend everyone to attend the next auction. :thumbsup:

imtheomegaman
09-23-2010, 1:17 PM
Jeff, what are the store hours? Ima heading over there today or tomorrow see whats up congrats on the move

lets keep these guys in business, happy to see another gun shop take over for Buckhorns

SVT-40
09-25-2010, 9:04 AM
The hours are Monday through Friday 11am to 5pm

Saturday 10am to 5pm

Closed on Sunday

Trench Broom
09-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Look forward to checking out the new shop :thumbsup: - be stopping by in a day or two.

beemaze
09-27-2010, 2:29 PM
Someone should change the thread title to Buckhorns in Glendora is closed and Gunslingers has taken over!

BTW, the last Gunslinger auction was fun. I just wish I had a bigger budget!

bjl333
09-27-2010, 2:32 PM
Someone should change the thread title to Buckhorns in Glendora is closed and Gunslingers has taken over!

BTW, the last Gunslinger auction was fun. I just wish I had a bigger budget!

They always have good stuff, and my budget is always too small !!! :(