PDA

View Full Version : Federal judge rules in favor of gun trace data

RRangel
04-30-2006, 5:42 PM
Are we surprised anymore?

If it's for the children it appears that you don't have to follow the law. This judge allows this suit to continue even after the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. How does that happen?

First story: http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=58999

A federal judge in Brooklyn ruled that New York can have access to gun tracing information gathered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, despite a recently-passed measure that forbids such data from being used in civil suits.

The judge said that measure doesn't apply to New York because it was acting as a private plaintiff, not "the public.

Second link: http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/63011.htm

Mayor Bloomberg scored a major legal victory yesterday when a Brooklyn federal judge ruled that the city can use federal data tracing the history of illegal guns in its suit against nine weapons makers.

The gun makers had argued that using the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms data violated a ban that Congress passed in late November.
But Judge Jack Weinstein ruled that the ban - attached to a federal budget bill - only applied to the future use of such information. The city was exempt from the measure, he said, because it received the data before the ban was approved.

H&K Boy
04-30-2006, 7:42 PM
Well, people are just going to have to start going after the automobile manufacturers whenever someone is killed by a car....maybe someone will get the idea..."hey that's pretty stupid"... and put 2 and 2 together......but I doubt it.

taloft
04-30-2006, 7:56 PM
I doubt this will stand up during the appeal.

50 Freak
05-01-2006, 1:17 AM
But Judge Jack Weinstein ruled that the ban - attached to a federal budget bill - only applied to the future use of such information. The city was exempt from the measure, he said, because it received the data before the ban was approved.

Sorry to say guys, he's got a point. did it before the ban...grandfathered it.....At least this will only be an isolated case. Stupid Judge:mad: :mad:

Rumpled
05-01-2006, 8:06 AM
As a private plaintiff, what are the odds of me getting trace data from F troop?
So, maybe they are the public.