PDA

View Full Version : Advice for someone re: handgun transfer

CalGunsNoob
04-30-2006, 4:41 PM
Was talking to a guy at the range the other day. He mentioned someone gave him a handgun and they didn't do a transfer. He says that he was unaware such was required.

Details - Guy he knew gave him a handgun about 3 years ago. The guy he got it from purchased it legally at a Cali store (he was even given the receipts). As said above, neither thought a transfer was required. Both have since moved apart (400 miles he says). They also don't talk anymore. People just grow apart and he's not even sure where the guy lives.

Ok, so there is that self-registration thing on the DOJs website. Could he send that in without fear of incriminating himself? Any advice I pass along will certainly be qualified with the fact that I am not a lawyer and this isn't cerain advice.

What do you think? We're talking about a 250 dollar ruger .22 so he's not going to hire an attorney. He'd just throw it in the ocean first. But is there a way for him to make it right simply be sending that paper to the DOJ?

EBWhite
04-30-2006, 4:48 PM
Since its a new model gun I think hes out of luck. (wait for other to confirm) I would just recommend just keeping it and shooting it when its safe (private property, etc) (obviously 100% legal but most likely you will not run into trouble with a .22)

saki302
04-30-2006, 9:37 PM
Call DOJ. I bet the paper will work as a voluntary registration- the end result is the same.

I would however call from a pay-phone :D

-Dave

Jeff Rambo
05-01-2006, 1:06 PM
Voluntary registration will take care of it.