PDA

View Full Version : Moving to WA

jt1911
08-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm sure there has been topics on this but don't have much time right now, so I just thought to ask it. It looks like I'm moving to Washington for grad school and while I will be selling most of my guns so I can eat and stuff, I was planning on bringing some along. How does that work? Can I just bring them into Washington? Thanks. Need a clue for the clueless.

NiteQwill
08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Washington is a pretty free state (no use silencers, oddly enough, possession is okay).

Enjoy your stay, bring all your guns and don't sell any.

Ramen is cheap and gets 99% of grad students through grad school.

Window_Seat
08-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Everytime someone sells a gun without acquiring another, a nice kitten is placed into a wood chipper.

Just say no to selling without acquiring. Save the kittens. It's for the kittens.

As for moving to WA, I have been there, and got my CCW (actually a CPL in WA), and it was quite easy. I went to the Clark County Sheriff and applied, and they sent me my license in 60 days. The staff was all extremely nice to me, and quite professional. It was as if they were good friends who knew me for years. OK enough of that. :p

To purchase a HG in WA, you must wait 5 days, but I think (someone clarify this) it's cash/carry if you have a CPL.

WA has state preemption.

Although WA is an open carry state, I would NOT OC because of a particular statute that makes it so you aren't really protected from thugs who lie to the cops to get you arrested, and they really exist up there.

WA has no state income tax.

That's all I know for now. Have a good stay in WA, and tell Pam Roach I said HAY (she is a very pro-2A State Senator)

Erik.

YubaRiver
08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
You are considered a resident after 90 days for a hunting license and also
I believe for concealed carry. Get it from the Sheriff of the county you
live in, or the city police.

Purchase of a long gun took 10 minutes as a resident for me.

I have been told, but have not confirmed you can buy and sell long
guns in a yard sale.

Secret
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM

ahahaha, so true

jt1911
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Very nice. I'm getting pretty geeked up for this. I think I'll be getting a lot of weird looks when I keep on taking out mags that are only 1/3 used. I wonder how long that will take to break? But alas, I fear many cute kittens may not be long for this earth. I was shocked at how much it costs to move our stuff up there. Ridiculous. To cover first, last, security deposit, and the moving cost it looks selling some of my guns is a must. But I do like Ramen.

So then just to clarify, I can freely bring my guns from CA to WA without needing to do any sort of notification or what not? And if at some point I need to sell a gun that I bought in CA in WA, that is not an issue?

HunterJim
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
jt,

I moved up there for 5 years a while back, it is easy and no "import" problems.

I also joined the Western Washington Arms Collectors so I could buy guns at their shows with no additional drama. I presume that still works.

jim

robcoe
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM

I remember the Ramen years, not fondly, but I remember them.

Dragunov
08-10-2010, 1:07 PM
Everytime someone sells a gun without acquiring another, a nice kitten is placed into a wood chipper.

Just say no to selling without acquiring. Save the kittens. It's for the kittens.

As for moving to WA, I have been there, and got my CCW (actually a CPL in WA), and it was quite easy. I went to the Clark County Sheriff and applied, and they sent me my license in 60 days. The staff was all extremely nice to me, and quite professional. It was as if they were good friends who knew me for years. OK enough of that. :p

To purchase a HG in WA, you must wait 5 days, but I think (someone clarify this) it's cash/carry if you have a CPL.

WA has state preemption.

Although WA is an open carry state, I would NOT OC because of a particular statute that makes it so you aren't really protected from thugs who lie to the cops to get you arrested, and they really exist up there.

WA has no state income tax.

That's all I know for now. Have a good stay in WA, and tell Pam Roach I said HAY (she is a very pro-2A State Senator)

Erik.

"Everytime someone sells a gun without acquiring another, a nice kitten is placed into a wood chipper."

:rofl2::rofl2:I hope you don't mind me using that!!! I'll note due credit!

Window_Seat
08-10-2010, 1:27 PM
"Everytime someone sells a gun without acquiring another, a nice kitten is placed into a wood chipper."

:rofl2::rofl2:I hope you don't mind me using that!!! I'll note due credit!

No problem, my pleasure (not because the kitten... nevermind):D

Erik.

WWDHD?
08-10-2010, 2:46 PM
As long as its kitten and not a pup, I can deal.

Andy Taylor
08-10-2010, 7:40 PM
Don't sell unless you have to. I grew up in WA and I miss it. Wonderful place. For hanguns that are not on the CA approved list, you may be able to get more for them here in CA than in WA, since they do not have the restricted market that we have here.

10fcp
08-10-2010, 7:54 PM
It's one of the freeist states of the free states, I'd love to live there.