PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach police officer accused of stealing guns charged with 13 felonies

jl123
08-09-2010, 5:07 PM
I apologize if this is a dup:
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_15722872

LOS ANGELES - A Long Beach police officer who allegedly stole four guns that were to be booked as property was charged today with 13 felony counts.

Damian Ramos, 32, was scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Los Angeles Superior Court on four counts each of grand theft of personal property, grand theft firearm and embezzlement by a police officer, along with one count of possession of an assault weapon.

Ramos was taken into custody last Thursday morning, after a search turned up evidence connecting him to missing weapons that had been turned over to police, said Long Beach Police Department spokeswoman Nancy Pratt.

"Ramos, a five-year employee with the department, handled a found property call at a Long Beach business," Pratt said. "The business turned over numerous weapons to Ramos. However, the department discovered that not all of the weapons had been placed into evidence."

The number of weapons turned over by the business did not match up with the number of items Ramos turned in and an investigation was immediately launched, Pratt said.

"Upon learning of the potential misconduct by one of our own, we took swift action to ensure that the investigation was handled thoroughly, and I am confident that these were the actions of a single officer," Chief Jim McDonnell said in a statement. "It is our responsibility to ensure the public's trust within our police department, and anyone who compromises the integrity of this
Advertisement
organization will be dealt with immediately."

Ramos, who remains jailed, has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.

Ron-Solo
08-09-2010, 5:08 PM
It's a dupe.

audiopro74
08-09-2010, 6:44 PM
I would like to know what weapons he thought were worth risking his freedom, and career for.

Glock22Fan
08-09-2010, 7:35 PM
Long Beach police officer accused of stealing guns charged with 13 felonies

Gosh, if those guns really did commit 13 felonies, it's a good job someone did steal them :43:

N6ATF
08-09-2010, 9:01 PM
I guess it's a testament to LBPD that they didn't give their officer a get out of jail free card as is so plentiful in other coastal agencies.

sholling
08-09-2010, 9:27 PM
LBPD used to be a really top notch department with the exception of one psycho bad apple that they tried unsuccessfully to fire years ago. Who knows, maybe the DA sees stealing guns from evidence as the one unforgivable sin. But then again the DA's office tanked some pretty darn solid cases in the past. Frankly I'll be shocked if he get's more than a misdemeanor conviction and probation as long as he agrees to resign without a fuss.

Wherryj
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Gosh, if those guns really did commit 13 felonies, it's a good job someone did steal them :43:

If guns can commit felonies, perhaps unloaded guns CAN shoot someone...