PDA

View Full Version : Can I visit CA with an 'evil" rifle?

Dorsai
04-29-2006, 8:46 PM
I live in Nevada. If I want to visit a friend in CA for a couple of days, am I allowed to bring my AR15 or M1A, that are not CA compliant, so long as they also leave the state with me?

Matt C
04-29-2006, 8:48 PM
Nope, importing and transporting an AW in CA is highly illegal. Oh, your m1a should be ok unless it has a flashhider. Don't bring your standard cap mags either.

socal57chevy
04-29-2006, 10:52 PM
I heard that the DOJ can issue a temp. permit for visitors, but I have yet to hear of anybody obtaining one. I say call the DOJ and ask. Will you be participating in competitions that involve your rifles? That may make a difference. Anyone else know of a special permit?

I can't find anything. Here is the contact info for the Ca DOJ.
http://ag.ca.gov/contact/index.htm

socal57chevy
04-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Might be easier just to move here??

Does this mean I could have registered my Bushy and brought it with me?
I'm still looking for a visitor permit.

(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

12230. The Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, manufacture, and transportation or possession, manufacture, or transportation of machineguns, upon a satisfactory showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit, but no permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age.

12231. Applications for permits shall be filed in writing, signed by the applicant if an individual, or by a member or officer qualified to sign if the applicant is a firm or corporation, and shall state the name, business in which engaged, business address and a full description of the use to which the firearms are to be put.
Applications and permits shall be uniform throughout the state on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice.
Each applicant for a permit shall pay at the time of filing his or her application a fee determined by the Department of Justice not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. A permit granted pursuant to this article may be renewed one year from the date of issuance, and annually thereafter, upon the filing of a renewal application and the payment of a permit renewal fee not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department's budget.

12232. Every person, firm or corporation to whom a permit is issued shall keep it on his person or at the place where the firearms are kept. The permit shall be open to inspection by any peace officer or any other person designated by the authority issuing the permit.

12233. Permits issued in accordance with this chapter may be revoked by the issuing authority at any time when it appears that the need for the firearms has ceased or that the holder of the permit has used the firearms for purposes other than those allowed by the permit or that the holder of the permit has not exercised great care in retaining custody of any weapons possessed under the permit.

12234. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the Department of Justice shall, for every person, firm, or corporation to whom a permit is issued pursuant to this article, annually conduct an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile the inventory of machine guns.
(b) A person, firm, or corporation with an inventory of fewer than five devices that require any Department of Justice permit shall be subject to an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile inventory, once every five years, or more frequently if determined by the department.

ohsmily
04-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I live in Nevada. If I want to visit a friend in CA for a couple of days, am I allowed to bring my AR15 or M1A, that are not CA compliant, so long as they also leave the state with me?

You can bring it in if you are bringing it here to participate in a sanctioned competition (e.g. the high power match at Pendleton). However, you can't bring in full capacity magazines under any civilian circumstances.

bwiese
04-29-2006, 11:23 PM
i read somewere you can get a permit from the DOJ, to allow you to bring in your guns and evil accesories while you are visiting. even if you just bring them in without a permit, and you get pulled over or something of that sort, i dont think it will be to big a deal, as the cop will see you have a free state drivers license, and the firearms will only be in the state for a limited time, but I may be wrong.

YOU ARE WRONG.

STOP GIVING BAD ADVICE. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, PIPE DOWN. YOU"RE SETTING UP SOMEONE FOR A MULTIPLE FELONY BUST.

Sure, a cop from Podunk, CA may let you slide. A metro/suburban area cop very well might not. The penalties for illegal transport and import of an unreg'd AW could easily result in 2 felony + 1 misdemeanor charge per gun. Importation of hicap mags would be a separate issue/charge(s). At best you'd lose the gun(s).

DOJ is rumored to have given importation permits for time surrounding competition since the exemption for competition in the current AW law is murky and does not cover time surrounding the competition (overnight stays, meals, extension of visit, etc.) One should NOT rely AT ALL on the competition exemption in CA AW law as it is flawed and not useful.

Also these permits do NOT address the entirely separate issues of hicap mag importation.

Getting AW permits for other than this (moving into the state w/AWs, for example) is well-nigh impossible.

And "sanctioned competition" from a recognized body doesn't mean a casual shoot or the local league shoot from the East Oakland Roller Derby League Ladies Classic Rimfire Charity Shoot.