PDA

View Full Version : Question??

mongpreston
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Lets say i bought a gun of a fellow cal gunner out of city and did the transfer there. Do they do my ten days there? And if i have them ship it back to my local FFL dealer will they hold my gun and do another ten days there? If not will they charge me any fees? thanks

Mssr. Elegant
08-09-2010, 1:33 PM
Lets say i bought a gun of a fellow cal gunner out of city and did the transfer there. Do they do my ten days there? And if i have them ship it back to my local FFL dealer will they hold my gun and do another ten days there? If not will they charge me any fees? thanks

The FFL that DROSs the gun to you is the FFL that will hold the gun for the 10 day waiting period. So if you DROS the gun at an out of town FFL then you will need to travel back to that FFL after the waiting period to pick up your gun. The advantages to this are being able to see the gun before buying and getting to do the transfer for the State mandated $35 PPT charge. The disadvantage, obviously, is having to drive to the out of town FFL twice.

If you are going to have the gun shipped to your local FFL then the seller can legally ship it there himself. There is no legal requirement for the seller to ship it from an FFL. But many FFLs will only accept shipment from other FFLs as a matter of policy. So you would need to check with your local FFL first to see if he will accept a shipment directly from the seller. If he will accept such shipments then the seller would just ship the gun to your local FFL and your local FFL will DROS the gun to you and make you wait the 10 days. Your local FFL can charge you whatever he wants for this service.

For handguns that are not on or exempt from the safe handgun roster the only way you can buy one from another person is to both go to the same FFL to do a PPT transfer. That's because PPT transfers (were you both go to the same FFL and only have to pay $35) are exempt from the safe handgun roster. Transfers that involve shipping the gun to your FFL are not considered PPTs and are not exempt from the safe handgun roster. They also don't qualify for the low $35 transfer fee.