View Full Version : Is it wrong.......

04-29-2006, 7:31 PM
.....that my kids have enough toy guns to arm the neighborhood? For the past couple days I have noticed my 5 year old son with arms full of toy guns running out the door. I asked him today what he was doing and he said "we are playing war". Turns out all the kids on the block have been playing war and as I looked out I noticed that every kid, about 15 of them, had one or more of my sons guns. Not one of the other kids has a toy gun of their own because thier parents won't buy them so my son has been suppling the goods LOL. Take about chicken soup for the gun lovers soul:D

Walking Fire
04-29-2006, 7:43 PM
i remember when i was a kid watching Combat on TV, i drew out the outline of a Tommy gun on plywood and my Dad cut it out for me, We played Army all day with that plywood, ahh the good old days...

Dont Tread on Me
04-29-2006, 8:15 PM
Can you even buy toy guns these days? Last time I was in toys 'r us I did not even see a cow boy cap gun.

Walking Fire
04-29-2006, 8:22 PM
Hello Tech Ted, do you shoot at Sunnyvale?
I usually shoot trap there.
Seeya at the range.. M.J.

04-29-2006, 10:12 PM
LOL, Bu-bye my youngest kid is the same, we spent today classifying his arsenal into projectile and non-projectile weapons. :D

04-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I, as well as a buddy, wer sent home early one day from kindergarten (1970!) for making guns from clay: we weren't allowed to bring toy guns, so I'd 'improvised'.

Ergonomics were lacking, but intent was there :)

04-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Can you even buy toy guns these days? Last time I was in toys 'r us I did not even see a cow boy cap gun.

Actually the only place I ever see any of those toy guns...the really cool replicas are at those Indoor SWAP MEETS....the lower end (low income)ones with all the cool import toys from china. They have the army kits with grenades,K-Var etc. Totally un-PC stuff.:cool:

I went into a Mall toy store an saw one of the cop/swat packs and low and behold no guns, it should have been sold as an English Bobby Kit:D

Times sure are diffrent, I sure loved my cap guns as a kid.

OH, and about kids and toy guns...let boys be boys,otherwise they'll grow up to pay $3.50 for for a Non-fat Carmal Machiado with whip cream and a touch of cinamon.:rolleyes:

Do a GOOGLE search on "the pussification of America" and you know what I mean.

04-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Airsoft is where it's at. I wish I would have had that option as a kid. BB Gun wars would have been completely different... heh

04-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Kids today have it great! I have bought my now 14 year old son some fine Airsoft weaponry(GBB Beretta M9), with enough extra springers to equip his siblings and friends.:D

04-29-2006, 11:42 PM
When i was a kid. This is back around early 90's when the whole no guns at toys r us bull****.....My friends and I would play war and guns (we called it playing "guns") all the time. so much fun. Inside the house and outside. We would use pillows and stuff at grenades...wow, those were some fun times being a kid!

04-30-2006, 12:09 AM
My friends and I used to "play guns" as well when we were kids, we'd use BB guns. I remember once a man drove by and began yelling at us for playing with them and called the police. A cop showed up, asked if they were loaded, told us to be careful, said he did the same thing when he was a kid, and drove away. It was pretty funny. But damn, we would have killed for airsoft.

04-30-2006, 1:27 AM
i used to play war in my backyard with lots of kids in the neighborhood. but of course this was in the late 70's and early 80's. times sure have changed and they are not for the better. i miss what i had when i was young. i do feel bad for the kids today.

04-30-2006, 4:00 AM
When a new housing tract went in near where I lived they dug a bunch of trenches for sewer lines and such. Instant BB gun warfare on a world war scale. On the weekends, dozens of us would shoot it out. An arms race ensued, and I ruled the battlefield when I bought a Crossman Co2 semi-auto. Finally, the tract went in and the battlefield was absorbed into urban sprawl.......

04-30-2006, 7:23 AM
When I was 11 or so.. I made a 50cal out of some 2x4's and a broom handle :D

04-30-2006, 7:57 AM
My father didn't allow me to have any toy guns as a child. He said that he didn't want me to grow up play-shooting at people, thinking it was okay. I'd still improvise though and build my toy guns from legos :p . In his defense, he did teach me safe gun handling when I was in Jr high.

04-30-2006, 9:09 AM
We had capguns from toysrus and homemade rubberband guns cut from plywood when I was a kid. My sons have a pair of cheapo airsoft MP5s, a Taurus 9mm, and a DE to target practice with, they also have a couple of flea market AKs and M16s to play war.

My wife used to be against my kids having toy guns but since they have shown alot of responsibility with their toys as well as when we are out plinking with real guns it's not an issue anymore. I got my sister-in-law a bit mad when I got my nephew an airsoft pistol for xmas to plink with his dad but now her husband is thinking about getting a real one, so I guess playing with toy guns does lead to owning real guns.

04-30-2006, 9:34 AM
You mean the Cow Palace gun show?

No ,actually it's down here in SoCal.....San Gabriel Valley,East of L.A.. and in the Asian Vendor stores.

04-30-2006, 9:46 AM
I remember the snap guns with the red paper of caps. I also recall the ones that had plastic strips. also you cant forget the cool/real looking water guns, oh and when "gotcha paintball" guns came out. the gotcha kinda scared me, when i first got it I shot it at our wood fence and there was a plastic "wad" that embedded into the fence. (still thought it would be cool to shoot my cousine with it) he he :D :eek:

also it's nice to hear that your kids are out playing in the neighbor hood. i see kids in my neighbor hood but i haven't seen kids play in the streets since i was a kid

50 Freak
04-30-2006, 10:16 AM
I remember when I was young, my dad didn't buy me any toy guns.

Ended up making an actual firing "gun". Took a small pipe, drilled a hole, used a lead projectile that fit perfectly and a fire cracker as propellent. Not bad for a 3rd grader.

John Browning would have been proud of me.:D :D

04-30-2006, 11:12 AM
My parents did not let me have guns until I was about 6-7. For years I would get toy guns from family members and friends for birthdays and Christmas but my parents would take them and hide them without telling me. Then one day when I was 6 or 7 I was looking in the closet and saw the big trash bag that I had always seen for years but never knew what it was. I ripped open the bag and found about 20-30 toy guns and other toy weapons unopened. I almost had a heart attack I was so excited. From that day on my parents let me keep toy guns that I got as gifts. No more guns made from sticks fallen from trees or legos :D

04-30-2006, 1:13 PM
I got my sister-in-law a bit mad when I got my nephew an airsoft pistol for xmas to plink with his dad but now her husband is thinking about getting a real one, so I guess playing with toy guns does lead to owning real guns.

The liberals have known this for quite a while. Why else do you think they've created the meme that "children should never play with toy guns"? They're just trying to make sure the next generation grows up anti.

04-30-2006, 3:34 PM
I to did the trench warfare thing at a construction site near by my house. Dirt clods make excellent grenades until you get hit in the eye with one that has a rock in the middle of it!:eek: :p We had to stop when the surveyors flipped out from us pulling up the marking stakes, they made great swords.

I've pulled numerous B.B.'s out of my skin.:D I've always been exposed to firearms at some level. My father had replica grenades/mortars from his time in the Marines that I loved to play with.

Of course, all of this was back when playing wasn't scheduled down to the minute. It was pretty much go outside and play, be home by dark kinda neighborhood.

04-30-2006, 4:49 PM
It's just like Alcohol in the US. It is demonized to an extent the youth draw to the magic of it and when they can finally legally posses it - they lose control. Go to Europe and you will see parents sitting with their young kids at beer gardens drinking beer. No one makes a fuss and when they turn 21 they kids don't get hammered and kill themselves on the road.
Same thing with guns. My kids will be able to play with toy guns, and when they are old enough, they will learn how to behave around a gun. A few weeks ago I saw a marine and his 8yo (estimate) kid at the range. The kid behaved perfectly. He did nothing stupid and I felt 100% safe seeing him shoot. That's the way to educate a young person, not deprival, but education!

.....Not one of the other kids has a toy gun of their own because thier parents won't buy them