PDA

View Full Version : Boar hunting on public land

JLeeshooter
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I have been wanting to hunt Boar for a wile now and just don't know of a good place to hunt on public land that has any Hogs on it.

I'm not trying to pay a guide $400 to $800 bucks to walk me into some ranch just to shoot a pig they have been feeding all year to keep them in the area.
i wouldn't mind hunting privet land I just don't want to pay an arm & a leg to hunt the land.

So if anyone knows of a spot to hunt hogs in the Bay area let me know.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Just about the only way to hunt Boars in CA is to pay a guide or know someone.

theseacow
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I have been wanting to hunt Boar for a wile now and just don't know of a good place to hunt on public land that has any Hogs on it.

I'm not trying to pay a guide $400 to $800 bucks to walk me into some ranch just to shoot a pig they have been feeding all year to keep them in the area.
i wouldn't mind hunting privet land I just don't want to pay an arm & a leg to hunt the land.

You can pay a guide that same amount of money to go on a legit hunt and have success. If you start hunting public land, you will be well past the $400-$800 mark before you even come close to seeing a hog.

PatriotnMore
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM

You and everyone else. It is hit or miss on public land. A big reason is most of the public land is surrounded by even better private property. One thing I can tell you is to get out and scout, find the trails the pigs are using from the public to private property, they tend to use them regularly if there is not too much hunting pressure.

Look for sign of rooting on the private property, you can't miss it, you can also knock on some doors and simply ask if they need help controlling pig problems, you never know, they just may say yes.

JLeeshooter
08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
You can pay a guide that same amount of money to go on a legit hunt and have success. If you start hunting public land, you will be well past the $400-$800 mark before you even come close to seeing a hog.

and why is that?

professionalcoyotehunter
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
He is saying by the time you spend the gas ans time to go on public land for a few years to find one you might as well just pay it all at once.

theseacow
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
and why is that?

Because the amount of time, gas, and equipment you will burn up trying to find them will put you well past that amount. I've put in the time, so I know what I'm talking about, and what kind of effort it will take. You will have done a TON of driving, a TON of hiking, and a TON of not seeing anything, before you realize what its really like hunting pigs on public land in this state. Best of luck if you do go out.

JLeeshooter
08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Okay I see well i guess I'm going to have to make friends with someone with some land.

toby
08-09-2010, 12:10 PM
If you check around there are a few places you can hunt pig's for $350.... ;)

professionalcoyotehunter
08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
those places aren't really hunting. It is more of a slaughter house that lets you choose the pig you want.

JLeeshooter
08-09-2010, 12:17 PM
those places aren't really hunting. It is more of a slaughter house that lets you choose the pig you want.

Yeah I have seen those places I'm a hunter and i want to stalk and hunt a Hog not kill one that i could feed out of my hands.

owenriquez
08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
JLEESHOOTER, pm me in case you find a place to hunt... I'm not that rich to pay for a boar hunting. Maybe you need to post somewhere saying "willing to terminate wild boar from your yard or property". Please keep me in mind just in case.

JLeeshooter
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
JLEESHOOTER, pm me in case you find a place to hunt... I'm not that rich to pay for a boar hunting. Maybe you need to post somewhere saying "willing to terminate wild boar from your yard or property". Please keep me in mind just in case.

Will do.

toby
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Not talking about fenced farm pigs, these are private and public land hunt's some even guided. Just do some checking and calling some are willing to deal. I will give one for free. 805-922-7923

professionalcoyotehunter
08-09-2010, 1:00 PM
I will take the free one :D

toby
08-09-2010, 1:19 PM
Just called this # given on last post this has now become a 1/2 day hunt. But it's still a hunt for wild feral hogs none the less. Through my web surfing and mostly calling I have come up with four real hunts under $400 and there are a ton for $450! yes it's still a chunk of change but Welcome to Kaliforeignya.

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-09-2010, 2:41 PM
there are plenty of good places to kill free range hogs for under $500.... pretty expensive to me, but it's the going rate. IMHO, If you're close enough to the King City area, spend $100 on a Fort Hunter Liggett season pass. You can deer, pig, and turkey hunt on about 180k acres.

ScottB
08-09-2010, 4:48 PM
Have you looked into one of the Pig-o-ramas on Tejon Ranch? Fair chase, self guided, lots of pigs

spectr17
08-09-2010, 5:43 PM
DeeDee At Bryson Hesperia Resort near Paso Robles is doing $200 a day semi-guided. That's about the cheapest I know of for wild pigs. She has water and food on her leases so they shoot pretty good there. Give her a call. It's that or FHL or Camp Roberts are your best bet for public land pigs.

http://brysonresort.com/

davedog01
08-09-2010, 6:00 PM
On the private tip- vineyards have a big problem with pigs. You'll have to knock on doors. I did the fenced ranch hunt. It was to easy for me, but it was a good experience for my first hunt, being a city boy and all.

Abesnake
08-09-2010, 7:57 PM
Don't know where you are or how far you will travel. However, when I was up at Cache Creek a month or so back, all you heard was about the farmers complaining of pig infestation. Had a drink in a bar and the bar tender told me the farmers were coming in looking for hunters to help them out. Just make sure you get a release signed for you to be legally on the property. Better safe than sorry.

toby
08-10-2010, 4:11 PM
DeeDee At Bryson Hesperia Resort near Paso Robles is doing $200 a day semi-guided. That's about the cheapest I know of for wild pigs. She has water and food on her leases so they shoot pretty good there. Give her a call. It's that or FHL or Camp Roberts are your best bet for public land pigs.

http://brysonresort.com/

This has got to be the best thing going? I'm looking into it myself guy's check out the site!

pieeater
08-10-2010, 5:44 PM
That bartender is full of poo. Trust me anyone who owns property with game on it has no shortage of people wanting to hunt it.
Brotherinlaws,son inlaws, cousins, nephews, employees of ranch their friends and familys, people making deliverys to ranch, the local vet, well guy, feed store, mechanic, etc. I could type for 10 pages and if these people dont hunt they will ask for their friends and family that do.

Don't know where you are or how far you will travel. However, when I was up at Cache Creek a month or so back, all you heard was about the farmers complaining of pig infestation. Had a drink in a bar and the bar tender told me the farmers were coming in looking for hunters to help them out. Just make sure you get a release signed for you to be legally on the property. Better safe than sorry.

comblock
08-10-2010, 11:42 PM
texas

Caviel
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
+2 for TEXAS!!!

Bearclaw
08-11-2010, 6:01 PM
That bartender is full of poo. Trust me anyone who owns property with game on it has no shortage of people wanting to hunt it.
Brotherinlaws,son inlaws, cousins, nephews, employees of ranch their friends and familys, people making deliverys to ranch, the local vet, well guy, feed store, mechanic, etc. I could type for 10 pages and if these people dont hunt they will ask for their friends and family that do.

I'd have to agree with pieeater. Too many people know a hunter if they aren't one themselves. It's not that hard to find someone who is just dying to hunt your property.

5shot
08-11-2010, 6:38 PM
I'd have to agree with pieeater. Too many people know a hunter if they aren't one themselves. It's not that hard to find someone who is just dying to hunt your property.

Plus there's a bunch of guides that will gladly bring in some hunters, supervise them, and make some extra money for the guide and farmer/rancher.

Bearclaw
08-12-2010, 1:16 PM
yup...pretty soon bigboarstopper will be one of those guides!

junko p
08-20-2010, 6:48 AM
i am seriously considering a trip to bryson for September 4th and 5th. Anyone interested in meeting up there for the $200 semi-guided hunt send me a PM.

PatriotnMore
08-20-2010, 7:11 AM
i am seriously considering a trip to bryson for September 4th and 5th. Anyone interested in meeting up there for the $200 semi-guided hunt send me a PM.

I can tell you Dee Dee is fantastic, and Bryson is a very nice place to stay.

Usually the better times for pig are when it's cold, they move around more, so you might want to check the weather conditions. In any event, good luck.

bigboarstopper
08-20-2010, 9:19 PM
yup...pretty soon bigboarstopper will be one of those guides!

At this point it looks as if I will be guiding after the first of the year. The initial costs are substantial and I will be saving a few bucks by getting my guides licence after the first of the year instead of paying to get the licence now and having to pay for it again after the first of the year when it expires.

The rates will be basically the same as the competetors. The cost of the lease, insurance, bond and start up wont allow me to get much lower than anybody else. I dont plan on making this a large opperation. Its going to be on the smaller side. Very little fluff and lots of hunt. Im only going to do roughly 10 hunts per year. 20 hunters.

By doing this I will be able to keep the hunting pressure down and keep the success rate high. Happy hunters are repeat hunters and having people come back is what im aiming for. Going to have spot and stalk rifle hunts and of course specialize in hunts with hounds with a pistol.

There are other guides I will be working with in a kind of co-op on different properties. So if your really motivated to book something before the first of the year it can still happen.

Ive gotten a lot of pm's when I mentioned I was getting into guiding and I will have a full list of prices and everything else in the future. If somone cant wait that long I help other guides and can hook you up with my partners. Pm me either way.