PDA

View Full Version : Delaware: Housing authority 'waves white flag' on gun ownership

Crom
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
WILMINGTON -- Residents of public housing in Wilmington will now be allowed to legally keep firearms in their units.

The Wilmington Housing Authority suspended its ban on firearm ownership by tenants because of a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision and a National Rifle Association-funded lawsuit filed in May that charges the ban is unconstitutional, according to attorneys and officials.

WHA Executive Director Frederick Purnell Sr. said an outright ban still would be in the best interest of public safety, but after a reviewing the recent high court ruling that tossed out a handgun ban in Chicago, "We felt we had no choice but to amend the policy. ... We are going to comply with the law but hopefully, from a managerial standpoint, we will be able to put some controls in place to keep residents as safe as possible."

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100809/NEWS02/8090332/Housing-authority-waves-white-flag-on-gun-ownership It looks like Heller/McDonald are working.

Ed_in_Sac
08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Was the original ban on firearms because they had created a Utopian community where no crime or violence existed?

Soldier415
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Another domino falls!

nicki
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Poor people have the fundamental right of self defense.

People who live in these government projects have been victims of crime because they can't defend themselves.

Up till now, if they defend themselves, they get kicked out of their homes.
Trully a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation.

Nicki

JDoe
08-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Good news. Self defense is a human right.

boxbro
08-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Was the original ban on firearms because they had created a Utopian community where no crime or violence existed?

Of course.

N6ATF
08-09-2010, 7:51 PM

It was so there would be a free crime zone, not a crime-free zone. Victim disarming, pro-criminal safety, traitors.

Ed_in_Sac
08-10-2010, 5:58 AM
Far be it from me to be radical of opinion, but I have to seriously wonder if such laws are indeed to protect criminals from homeowners shooting them while perpetrating a crime? Question is, are the ones who pass these laws just the parents of gang members and trying to protect their offspring or are they more directly involved with the criminals?

Like I said, far be it from me to be radical :p

hill billy
08-10-2010, 8:18 AM
The Brady's will never mark this in the "W" column for us because it didn't actually see a courtroom.

Wherryj
08-10-2010, 9:04 AM

I suspect that they created a Utopia as blissfully non-violent as the gun bans in Washington, DC and Chicago had created.

OleCuss
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Kinda curious. Was the housing authority going to have to pay the opposing attorney's bill if the case proceeded?