PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Stolen RAW Recovered by Campbell PD

BossHog
08-09-2010, 10:45 AM
A friend of mine called me this morning to say he received a certified letter from the Campbell PD over the weekend regarding the recovery of one of his firearms he had stolen from his house about four years ago.

He called them this morning and found out it was one of the two RAWs (Registered Assault Weapon) that were among the stolen guns (9 total). Here are the details of his conversation (below):

...just got off the phone with Campbell police. The one they recovered was my Century arms .308 sporter. So now there are two more issues. She was not sure if they would let me have it back since it might be considered an "assault weapon." She has to call the DOJ and let me know. The other issue is that NRA insurance paid me $1000 for the loss of all of them. So they might have a claim to re-coup their $. So not looking good on my end.

Can the Campbell PD deny him his rifle based on the fact that it's an "on list" assault weapon even though it is registered?

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I think they have to give it back to him. It was Registered to him. So that's ownership.
I could be wrong. I know how some LEO are.

Why would the NRA want there money back? He has eight other guns missing. I would think the others would add up to more than 1000

stitchnicklas
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I think they have to give it back to him. It was Registered to him. So that's ownership.

Why would the NRA want there money back? He has eight other guns missing. I would think the others would add up to more than 1000

+1............

BossHog
08-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Well, it looks like they are looking for guidance from the DOJ so, I'm hoping that it's a straightforward process to get his RAW returned.

Yeah, I don't know why he's concerned about the NRA trying to re-coup $1K in insurance money. Like you said, there are still eight other guns still unaccounted for. From what I can remember the other eight included a .454 Casull, G17, AK47, and Beretta 92 among others.

Soldier415
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, it looks like they are looking for guidance from the DOJ so, I'm hoping that it's a straightforward process to get his RAW returned.

Yeah, I don't know why he's concerned about the NRA trying to re-coup $1K in insurance money. Like you said, there are still eight other guns still unaccounted for. From what I can remember the other eight included a .454 Casull, G17, AK47, and Beretta 92 among others.
He only had them insured for $1k?

Fail?

BossHog
08-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Fail?

Good question. I know he's an NRA Life Member but I'm not sure how much insurance he had. Trust me, I always told him he needed a safe for all his guns.

Soldier415
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Good question. I know he's an NRA Life Member but I'm not sure how much insurance he had. Trust me, I always told him he needed a safe for all his guns.
Most homeowners/renters insurance covers up to $2,000 on firearms by default. I purchased a rider for my renters insurance to fully cover my firearms and safe.

Its cheap

swerv512
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Most homeowners/renters insurance covers up to $2,000 on firearms by default. I purchased a rider for my renters insurance to fully cover my firearms and safe.

Its cheap

Even $2k coverage is a FAIL!

joelogic
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
For coverage do you have to list your firearms to the insurance company?

nick
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Fail?

Sounds like he's a regular member and had the free $1000 coverage. Basically, he didn't really insure it, he just used the free offer, since it was, well free.

You get $5000 insurance for free with lifetime membership, if I recall correctly.

Soldier415
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
For coverage do you have to list your firearms to the insurance company?
I didn't. But if they are stolen/destroyed I need to be able to provide them with detailed info, photos, proof of value (receipt of purchase) etc.

ar15barrels
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Can the Campbell PD deny him his rifle based on the fact that it's an "on list" assault weapon even though it is registered?

If it's registered, he should send the PD a copy of his registration letter.
That would eliminate any issues of it being an AW.

Untamed1972
08-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Once it's reported stolen does it become "deregistered" such that it would require a new permit for it to be returned?

ar15barrels
08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Once it's reported stolen does it become "deregistered" such that it would require a new permit for it to be returned?

There's nothing in the law about that.
If you registered an AW, moved out of CA later and then decided to move BACK INTO CA, the gun is still registered to you.

BossHog
08-09-2010, 1:16 PM

I'll tell him to do this. Thanks.