PDA

View Full Version : Legal Victory: Wolf Killing Stopped in Rockies

Cire 5th
08-09-2010, 8:28 AM
I don't know anywhere else better place to put this than in the hunting category. A little something to do with CA as you will read. My friend's response follows after. My 100th post tribute.

Dear XXXXX

Legal Victory: Wolf Killing Stopped in Rockies

In response to a suit by the Center for Biological Diversity and our allies, a federal judge yesterday stopped the killing of wolves in Montana and Idaho. Judge Molloy ruled that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had illegally stripped the northern Rockies gray wolf of its Endangered Species Act protections in 2009 by relying on political, rather than biological, reasoning.

He ordered the wolves put back on the federal threatened list, which will end the hunting seasons that have killed more than 100 wolves in Montana and Idaho in the past year.

Yesterday's ruling will also help other wildlife because it strikes a down Bush-era policy adopted by the Obama administration allowing the government to protect only small populations of endangered species instead of the entire species. Reliance on this anti-environmental Bush policy has been one of the many low points of Interior Secretary Salazar's management of endangered species.

Thanks to Earthjustice for representing us in this case, and thanks to the thousands of members and supporters who wrote letters, made phone calls, waved signs and reminded the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that wolf recovery in the northern Rockies needs to be completed, not abandoned.

This is a major win for the protection of these impressive and rare wolves.

The Center is also working to protect existing wolf populations in the Southwest and Great Lakes and to reintroduce them to former habitats in the Northeast, Utah, California and the Northwest. Please consider making a donation to our wolf recovery efforts so we can keep chalking up victories for the magnificent, much-abused gray wolf.

For the wild,

Kierán Suckling
Executive Director
Center for Biological Diversity

P.S. Read more on this breaking story in the Missoulian.

Molloy orders reinstatement of gray wolf protections in Montana, Idaho
By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian | Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010

KALISPELL - Wolves are back on the endangered species list, after U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy ruled Thursday that populations in Montana and Idaho cannot be considered separately from Wyoming's wolves.

In a 50-page decision, Molloy said "the rule delisting the gray wolf (in Montana and Idaho) must be set aside because, though it may be a pragmatic solution to a difficult biological issue, it is not a legal one."

With the relisting, this fall's planned wolf hunts in Montana and Idaho are now on hold, at least until the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service can assure an adequate protection plan in Wyoming.

"The ruling not only strikes down the delisting decision," said Kieran Suckling, executive director at the Center for Biological Diversity, "it invalidates the Bush-era Interior solicitor's memo justifying the concept of listing/delisting species and populations in only a portion of their range." . . .

Specifically, Molloy ruled that the Endangered Species Act does not allow only part of a species to be listed as endangered, nor does it allow a distinct population segment to be subdivided.

By separating Wyoming's wolves from Montana's and Idaho's, he said, the agency had violated the law.

"It is illegal because it is a political determination, not a biological one," Suckling said. "The biological population must be taken as a whole, not broken down into politically determined parts in order to justify delisting."

Suckling called the decision "a victory for all wildlife, not just the wolf, because it forces the federal government to treat species as a whole, not divide them into politically convenient pieces so it can strip them of protection." . . .

Gray wolf photos courtesy Flickr Commons/dalliedee and Wikimedia Commons/Retron.
This message was sent to
When donating online to the Center for Biological Diversity, always confirm that the donation page is located at DemocracyinAction.org or BiologicalDiversity.org.

Let us know if you'd like to change your email list preferences or stop receiving action alerts and newsletters from us.

My friend's response to me after I emailed him this artcle. He lives in Boise Idaho:

You know what? &uck these guys!

You can't negotiate with liberal environmentalists. When everyone agreed to the wolf reintroduction all they wanted was "200 breeding pairs" of wolves in the northern rocky states. Now there are estimates that there are well over 2,000 wolves with the population growing at about 10% every year. That's just in IDAHO. Doesn't even count Wyoming and Montana. This still isn't good enough for them.

Every hunter I know (an many more) are pretty much resigned to the fact that we will be the ones to control the wolf population. "Shoot, shovel, shut-up" is the mantra. I for one won't even bother with the shoveling step. A gut shot is the way to kill these pests. Doesn't cause sudden death and they wander off only to be mercifully killed by the pack because their weakness is a liability to the pack.

These wolves are not even indigenous. They are called "CANADIAN gray wolves" for a reason. Idaho had a thriving timber wolf population before these were introduced. The timber wolves (smaller and less aggressive towards larger game i.e. Elk) are all but gone now. Killed by their new competing gangstas in their 'hood.

All of the environmentalist groups fighting this aren't even in the 3 states in question. They are all lobby groups back east and in California. I say we "re-introduce" these wolves into the update New York area. Hell, I think California has some great wilderness area for these wolves too.

&uck it! I could go on and on about this. I'm so frickin sick of the "progressive liberals" in this country. If they don't get what they want it's off to court where all the self-righteous liberal judges give them the decisions they require (see California Prop 8).

Oh and BTW. The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is very pissed off about this too. They aren't going to be bending over backwards to enforce many illegal shootings on the wolves now, nor do they have the man power to monitor the social justice that will take place this fall. They are even exploring plans to implement a hunting season regardless of this ruling...ala salmon fishing seasons that exist even though they are on the endangered species act.

aaronraby1
08-09-2010, 8:36 AM
wow... i was looking forward to goig back to montana this year since i didnt fill my tag last year! but i got to go to the first one!!!

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-09-2010, 8:37 AM
amazing what a tree hugging group of CA kooks, that have never even set eyes on a wolf, can accomplish :icon_bs:

aaronraby1
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
amazing what a tree hugging group of CA kooks, that have never even set eyes on a wolf, can accomplish :icon_bs:

yeah! its ridiculous!!! and honestly, i saw more sign of wolf in the bitterroot range than any other animal sign!!!! what does THAT tell you? i had ranchers inviting me on their land to hunt cause there were so many of them! it has been proven that the numbers that the FG put out for a harvest quota was sustainable!! that and the wolf population has been growing at a great rate yearly since the reintroduction while other animal populations like elk and mule deer have been declining! yeah.. i read up on it when i find the articles. this is BS!

just like they say there arent many mountain lion in CA... well last year, we treed ONE bear and TWO mountain lion!!! they were different cats within the same hour! but no.. we cant hunt them here!

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-09-2010, 1:15 PM
--read this from last month--

BILLINGS, Mont.—Tens of thousands of gray wolves would be returned to the woods of New England, the mountains of California, the wide open Great Plains and the desert West under a scientific petition filed Tuesday with the federal government. cont.

http://www.montereyherald.com/national/ci_15561289?nclick_check=1

Abesnake
08-09-2010, 6:19 PM
--read this from last month--

BILLINGS, Mont.—Tens of thousands of gray wolves would be returned to the woods of New England, the mountains of California, the wide open Great Plains and the desert West under a scientific petition filed Tuesday with the federal government. cont.

http://www.montereyherald.com/national/ci_15561289?nclick_check=1

I think this is absolutely fabulous. I can't wait until the first Wolf takes an adult or a child off the Streets of Nashua New Hampshire for lunch. Like the Yotes here in So. Cal are getting bolder taking pets like the gators and pythons do in Florida; yes, they have taken children. These animals are all killing machines and there is no "moral relativism" that applies. They have no rights. There is nothing romantic about them. The Liberals want things to be "natural order" great. Sure thing; wanna go hiking Ms. Suckling? Let them bring the wildlife back to the era of Colonial times when everyone HAD to carry a weapon on their way to church. They can prey at the alter of environmentalism and global warming all they want. I'm not worried about me or my family here in suburbia. I only worry about the farmers and ranchers who have to make a living. I hope they disregard the law.

ScottB
08-09-2010, 7:23 PM
CBD is a malignant tumor on common sense

Cougar125
08-09-2010, 7:44 PM
What needs to be done will be done. Ranchers and Farmers won't stand by while their stock gets killed because some leftie thinks the wolf is all cute and cuddly.

SLYoteBoy
08-09-2010, 8:04 PM
Yup. Take them off the list , survival of the fittest. You wont kill them all there is no way (by just shooting them) , the dumb ones will get culled and the strong will survive perfectly.

sfguyhere
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
:chillpill:

really now . . .

porky
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Whatever your opinion - you probably shouldn't be proposing illegal shooting on this site-

Shoot shovel and shut up? Wow-
Do you poach deer as well? Plenty of them-even a nuisance in some areas-

I know this is your friend's response not your personal opinion-or do you share his response?

Cire 5th
08-10-2010, 4:21 PM
Whatever your opinion - you probably shouldn't be proposing illegal shooting on this site-

I know this is your friend's response not your personal opinion-or do you share his response?

Huge difference between Deer and Wolf. You consider deer a nuisance to you? You gotta be kidding me. THe only time I woould imagine deer would be a nuisance to some people would be when they are crossing major trafficked roads. Even then me personally I love seeing deer cross the road.

I think his remarks where said in the future tense. So nothing illegal here.

My post is about what is happening over there. I think my friend is reacting like that because of what just happened there where wolf hunting was legal to manage wildlife other wildlife and protect livestock now its not because those organizations don't really now the deal. He is an ethical hunter no he doesn't poach and I think he was just overexaggerating and getting emotional. And like I said his remark is future tense which you usually get as reaction to something that has just been done, so relax.

The only thing my post has to do with California is the mention of introducing the wolf here. The wolf is not indigenous to CA (only N. America) and doing so could be detrimental to our states wildlife and humans.

Cire 5th
08-10-2010, 4:24 PM

Huge difference between Deer and Wolf. You consider deer a nuisance to you? You gotta be kidding me. THe only time I woould imagine deer would be a nuisance to some people would be when they are crossing major trafficked roads.

I think his remarks where said in the future tense. So nothing illegal here.

My post is about what is happening over there. I think my friend is reacting like that because of what just happened there where wolf hunting was legal to manage wildlife other wildlife and protect livestock now its not. The organizations who initiated this are not even from there so how do they know what is good for their states. He is an ethical hunter no he doesn't poach and I think he was just overexaggerating and getting emotional. And like I said his remark is future tense which you usually get as reaction to something that has just been done, so relax.

The only thing my post has to do with California is the mention of introducing the wolf here. The wolf is not indigenous to CA (only N. America) and doing so could be detrimental to our states wildlife and humans.

porky
08-10-2010, 4:33 PM
Ok-I feel you-I realize the damage the reintroduction of the wolf has caused on many cattle and sheep ranches-not sure if they are protected in this case-but probably-

And yes -any deer not yet called venison is a nuisance to my tummy!;)

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-10-2010, 7:54 PM
THe only time I woould imagine deer would be a nuisance to some people would be when they are crossing major trafficked roads.

deer can be a MAJOR nuisance to farmers and ranchers, and destroy crops, but thats a whole other topic ;)

Cire 5th
08-10-2010, 9:25 PM
deer can be a MAJOR nuisance to farmers and ranchers, and destroy crops, but thats a whole other topic ;)

True. If deer is such a nuissance on his property, I don't think it would be hard for that farmer to find and/or give permission to a liscensed hunter to hunt deer on his property. And on the flip side, I don't think it would be hard for a liscened hunter to ask the farmer to hunt on his property if that hunter has been properly scouting the land and knows that ther are alot of deer in the area. Given that the Hunter follows all good mannered protocol to hunt on private property (maybe a personall businness/resume hunt card won't hurt) when he asks the land owner for permission.

aGunForEachHand
08-11-2010, 6:31 AM
Stupid Californians...oh wait...that's right I live here now!

steadyrock
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Yep. And the tree-hugging CA trolls are even in our own backyard: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=329236

The arrogance of some will always astound me.