PDA

View Full Version : do i need to buy a new lock?

Bobbar
08-09-2010, 1:49 AM
I just PPT'd a shotgun and was told I couldn't just bring in a lock, I have to have a reciept within the 30 days of pick up.
True or false?
I know u have to get one for handguns. But didn't know bout long guns.
Thanks

Ed_Hazard
08-09-2010, 1:58 AM
This is true if you dont have a DOJ approved gunsafe, if you do then you just fil out the affadavit with the make and model. No receipt required for the safe.

mdimeo
08-09-2010, 9:04 AM
Unless you can sign a safe affidavit, you have to show up with a lock and a receipt. Note, however, that the receipt can be a handwritten note that says
"sold for $1, one lock model #xxxxx, by *seller* to *buyer*". The lock doesn't have to be new.

I did this once maybe five years ago. The FFL called the DOJ to check if it was legal (it was), so not every dealer knew this at least back then.

*edit* forgot to mention the receipt needs to have a date on it.

383green
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
*edit* forgot to mention the receipt needs to have a date on it.

It probably shouldn't be in your own handwriting for best results, either. ;)

Glock22Fan
08-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Buy an approved lock at Walmart. Leave it in its packaging. Take it back for a refund after collecting your firearm.

Legasat
08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
True.

mdimeo
08-10-2010, 9:08 AM
Buy an approved lock at Walmart. Leave it in its packaging. Take it back for a refund after collecting your firearm.

Genius!

IrishPirate
08-10-2010, 9:16 AM

This.....

some Sheriffs depts give away free gun locks too. Just make sure to ask them for a receipt because I've heard of people leaving without one, then not being able to pick up their gun.

dantodd
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Don't forget to "donate" the lock back to the sheriff after you pick up the weapon. The irony would be too good to miss out on.

fd15k
08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
This is true if you dont have a DOJ approved gunsafe, if you do then you just fil out the affadavit with the make and model. No receipt required for the safe.

Actually DOJ doesn't approve gunsafes, but rather lockboxes. And lockboxes require receipt (not within 30 days, but as a proof of purchase/ownership).

Big Jake
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM

This!

kmca
08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Actually DOJ doesn't approve gunsafes, but rather lockboxes. And lockboxes require receipt (not within 30 days, but as a proof of purchase/ownership).

Not quite:
Effective January 1, 2002, no firearm may be sold, transferred, or manufactured within California unless that firearm is accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device (California Penal Code section 12087, et seq).

The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:

* Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device.
* The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.
* The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law enforcement purposes.
* Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

Mendo223
08-10-2010, 4:36 PM
when i bought my gun...i just brought my gunsafe form that had the seriel number and make and model on it.

i showed that to the guy and he gave me my rifle and i didnt need to waste 10 bucks on a lock.