PDA

View Full Version : Costco Gun Safe.

GoingPro
08-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I picked up this winchester gun safe last week at costco for $499 it weighs 540 lbs empty.....Now, i been reading some things and people are saying that this is easy to break into??? Anyhow, has anyone had any problems or anything that i should know about that i have to return this thing and get something else? thanks guys.

Kerplow
08-09-2010, 12:47 AM
540 lbs empty seems pretty good for that price. I got my bighorn safe from coscto. Its 700 lbs empty but cost quite a bit more than what you paid.

As for being easy to break into: most thieves are probably looking to take the safe out of the home to a safe place to do their dirty business. At that rate, any safe is easy to break in to. The main thing is bolting t down so they can't pick it up and walk away.

GoingPro
08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
540 lbs empty seems pretty good for that price. I got my bighorn safe from coscto. Its 700 lbs empty but cost quite a bit more than what you paid.

As for being easy to break into: most thieves are probably looking to take the safe out of the home to a safe place to do their dirty business. At that rate, any safe is easy to break in to. The main thing is bolting t down so they can't pick it up and walk away.

can i bolt it down to wood floor?

Flintlock Tom
08-09-2010, 3:24 PM
I looked at that Winchester safe at Costco the other day. It seemed like a good deal to me. The problem for me was a small house and a garage filled with junk. I had to pass.

shooting4life
08-09-2010, 3:53 PM
Bolt to floor. If you wan added security you could build a fo wall around te safe to keep people from accessin the back/sides which are the weakest part of the safe. Also would keep people from rocking the safe off the bolts in the ground. It is all about leverage, keep the bad guys from gaining any leverage on the safe you will be gtg.

yzernie
08-09-2010, 5:33 PM
raised foundation? lag through with steel plate underneath.. tack weld fastners for added security..

wood floor over slab? drill through and secure with red head or similar concrete anchors..
There ya have it. Sounds like he has some experience with that!!!