PDA

View Full Version : Need protection gun from bear and cats where I live

RG0101
08-08-2010, 7:50 PM
I live in Portola in the woods and recently while walking by my home (300Yds.) with my 16 month old baby on my back, my dogs encountered a bear, I wasnt scared until I realized I had my baby on my back and I would be helpless other than to lie on her to protect. I am new in the area and therefore will not be back in the woods with my child until I have a side arm at a minimum. I'm a former Army Ranger and have alot of experience with guns and rifles but I'm new here and figured I would like to hear what you think is a good hand-gun other than a 44,.41 maybe grizzly 45? Let me know. I await all your informed answers. Thank You, Rod

Retzius
08-08-2010, 8:00 PM
You're a former Army Ranger that needs a gun to protect you from bears and cats? :)

RG0101
08-08-2010, 8:03 PM
You're a former Army Ranger that needs a gun to protect you from bears and cats? :)

I'm not worried about myself but when I realized my daughter was on my back whew that got the adrenaline running!!!! Good thing for my dogs as I had no idea it was there... Note to self,,, no woods without a weapon LOL:rolleyes:

Retzius
08-08-2010, 8:09 PM
Well I put a magnetic jingle ball on the dog when hiking. Sounds silly but scares the crap out of bears. :)

RG0101
08-08-2010, 8:13 PM
Well I put a magnetic jingle ball on the dog when hiking. Sounds silly but scares the crap out of bears. :)

Yeah I know about the bells but I'm more concerned about cats. When they make up their minds nothing is gonna stop them but a few well placed rounds and thats what I'm after I just dont want to haul a cannon around. Know what I mean?

Retzius
08-08-2010, 8:21 PM
Well I've never been attacked by cats (lol). How about a 1911? Should stop bears and cats. You know how the get when they don't get their Friskies :)

johnthomas
08-08-2010, 8:28 PM

They don't train for bears and cats. Have you ever gone hand to claw with a bear? OP, they have pepper spray for bears. You can also use a 45 w/hollow points. Use the spray first, don't ruin your baby's ears if you can help it.

Spiggy
08-08-2010, 8:47 PM
Fight a bear, Survive to brag

When you're done killing the mountain lion with the bear's jaw, you can turn it into a badass cape for your baby. :D

or just get the bear spray...

GW
08-08-2010, 8:59 PM
I gotta feeling there are laws prohibiting carrying of firearms in that area. Then again I am probably thinking of Portola Valley on the peninsula
Stick with bear-spray for now.

frankm
08-08-2010, 9:08 PM
Also, a cat may try to jump you from behind, you don't want your baby back there.

Tim Leese
08-08-2010, 9:13 PM
if a cougar is going to attack you then you probably wont ever see it coming.

black bears arent dangerous enough to carry a weapon in my opinion.

bsg
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Also, a cat may try to jump you from behind, you don't want your baby back there.

all that i have read and seen on documentaries is congruent with what you say; that the mountain lion will always attack a human from the human's backside.

Sick Boy
08-08-2010, 10:14 PM
S&W Model 500 > bear/mountain lion

http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/001001/1001113.jpg

C.W.M.V.
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Ruger GP100 or Taurus Tracker in either 44 or 357 mag should do the truck and be inexpensive.

HotRails
08-08-2010, 10:52 PM
all that i have read and seen on documentaries is congruent with what you say; that the mountain lion will always attack a human from the human's backside.

Or from an elevated area down onto the person. BTW, OP you said you were new to the area. If you are new to the state it may be worth it to research the state's laws on carrying. This isn't a very gun friendly state as you probably already know.

SJgunguy24
08-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Glock 20. 16 rounds of 10mm will drop just about anything on 2 or 4 legs.

patriot_man
08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
10mm

Darn you beat me to it.

Ron-Solo
08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Glock 20. 16 rounds of 10mm will drop just about anything on 2 or 4 legs.

Make sure to file off the sights. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your backside.

Black Bears rarely attack humans and then it is usually because they got between a mama and her cubs.

Mountain lions hunt at dusk/dawn. Avoid hiking during those times and you will probably never see one.

Neither like dogs and will be scared off and won't fight unless cornered.

It seems like once a week there is a thread like this where people want to go hating on Yogi and Snagglepuss. If you don't like wildlife, stay out of their home.

aaronraby1
08-08-2010, 11:32 PM
so bears huh... where do you live???? good thing archery season is right around the corner!

my suggestion... a short barreled 500S&W. cant go wrong there!

Alaric
08-09-2010, 1:24 AM
I agree with Ron-Solo that you very likely have nothing to fear from a bear or Puma in California. You're more likely to be hit by lightning. Or to run across some tweakers cooking up a batch of meth or some pot growers. Much more likely and much more dangerous to you.

That said, I wouldn't want to take on a bear with anything less than a .44 magnum. And no hollow points either. A bear skull is THICK. You need a sidearm that has maximum penetration to get through that.

If weight is a concern, get a .357 magnum. Ruger or Smith and Wesson would be my top picks for makes.

http://media.weirduniverse.net/bear_sign.jpg

patriot_man
08-09-2010, 3:32 AM
I'd get some noisy bells on top of that as well

Beelzy
08-09-2010, 6:19 AM
Professional Guides use AR's (w/30rd mags) for dangerous game.......believe it or not.

(Take out the nervous system with lots of bullets)

ricknadine1111
08-09-2010, 6:31 AM
when you see this
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/grizzly.jpg
use this
Ruger redhawk 44 with hammer head ammo.
or try running

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/DSC00358.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/DSC00353.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/DSC00346.jpg

Call_me_Tom
08-09-2010, 6:57 AM
Honestly, if it were me, I'd carry a shotgun but I understand that it isn't practical. Remember, if you shoot a bear & don't put it down you're going to really piss it off. 44mag is what you are going to need to stop a bear, anything less & it'll rip your head off.

SReagle
08-09-2010, 7:10 AM
Bells on the dogs collar is great advice.
Regardless of having a gun or not having a gun and putting your baby in harms way not good. (don't do it)
No Grizzly Bears in Calif. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Bear
best advice stay away from those areas with your baby.

I live in Portola in the woods and recently while walking by my home (300Yds.) with my 16 month old baby on my back, my dogs encountered a bear, I wasnt scared until I realized I had my baby on my back and I would be helpless other than to lie on her to protect. I am new in the area and therefore will not be back in the woods with my child until I have a side arm at a minimum. I'm a former Army Ranger and have alot of experience with guns and rifles but I'm new here and figured I would like to hear what you think is a good hand-gun other than a 44,.41 maybe grizzly 45? Let me know. I await all your informed answers. Thank You, Rod

Brujo
08-09-2010, 8:35 AM
I think it is threads like this that give gun owners bad names...obvious paranoia. OMG you saw a bear, rattlesnake, or a puma. Instead of considering yourself lucky for getting to see some nature you must instantly worry about how you could I kill it. Just lost some respect for Rangers in general if this is the attitude your get from all that training.

I grew up in Three Rivers, CA in the Sierra foothills. Bears in our mulberry tree where a daily occurrence when the tree was fruiting. Interesting all of us grew up from being little kids with out getting eaten.

If you don't like to see the animals move back to the city.

mzimmers
08-09-2010, 9:29 AM
Since the OP is in CA, I assume we're talking about black bear, right? A S&W 500 is way, way overkill for a blackie. A .357 magnum is generally regarded as excellent black bear medicine. The .500 is great if you like hand cannons (which I do), but will be much louder than a .357 or even a .44.

FWIW, black bears generally aren't aggressive towards humans unless you do something rather unfortunate.

As for a puma, choose whatever gun you can shoot well with your hand behind your back, because that's where you'll be aiming.

PatriotnMore
08-09-2010, 9:36 AM
Make sure to file off the sights. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your backside.

Black Bears rarely attack humans and then it is usually because they got between a mama and her cubs.

Mountain lions hunt at dusk/dawn. Avoid hiking during those times and you will probably never see one.

Neither like dogs and will be scared off and won't fight unless cornered.

It seems like once a week there is a thread like this where people want to go hating on Yogi and Snagglepuss. If you don't like wildlife, stay out of their home.

That was great.:43:

My first Black bear was a 300 lbs female, I had to reload twice to finish the job. Yes shot placement is key, but it was my first Bear, and at 45 yards, after my first shot, placement went out the door, for speed to get lead on target.

gotime
08-09-2010, 9:37 AM
caliber doesn't matter....

as long as you bring a friend you can shoot in the leg before running away.

darksands
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM

LoL at the end.

k1dude
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
C'mon! You're a RANGER! Just use your thumbs if attacked! ;)

Anything .41 mag or greater would be preferable. You could carry spray at the same time if you like. Sometimes I carry both.

I personally carry a titanium .41 mag for the benefits of the light weight. As your kid gets older, you'll probably begin hiking with him/her. You'll appreciate the light weight of titanium or scandium when that happens. Light and powerful is the way to go.

WokMaster1
08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
http://www.soccer.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/600/6763.RO.JPG

It'll scare everything with a half mile radius.:D

stormy_clothing
08-09-2010, 2:09 PM
Good ol 45 cal glock and speer gold dot - you probably have one in a shoebox somewhere already.

But then again I dont suggest wasting 1000 dollars on some shiny penis pistol just to satisfy some internet fantasy about bear attacks.

Caliyanks
08-09-2010, 2:20 PM
I think some of you missed the point on why the Ranger wanted to know about protection. "He had a baby with him". Now, to me that trumps any political agenda about animals and nature. I'm a retired Infantryman and from NYC. I had to get guns and bear spray or my wife wouldn't even consider going into the woods. So, no matter how some of you were brought up and no matter the size of your "NACHOS", some of us put our ego's aside in order to keep our families safe. Ranger, the gun is for the idiots so get two, the bear spray is better for the Animals. Good luck, and do what you were trained to do "follow your GUT". it got you this far.

frankm
08-09-2010, 2:21 PM
And have a nice big knife on the belt as last ditch defense.

stix213
08-09-2010, 4:37 PM

OMG that last line is hysterical after you read the whole thing!

CaliforniaLiberal
08-09-2010, 5:42 PM
Bears attacking humans are very rare, but I can see you want to be prepared for all possibilities. Something to consider is the effect of the gun blast on your child's hearing. I know that it's better for your kid to have hearing loss than to be dead but still, something to think about. Also, mist from your bear spray would not be kind to her developing lungs.

If you're really concerned about wildlife encounters it might be wise to only go for walks with the baby when you have a second armed adult with you.

bsg
08-09-2010, 6:05 PM
Or from an elevated area down onto the person. BTW, OP you said you were new to the area. If you are new to the state it may be worth it to research the state's laws on carrying. This isn't a very gun friendly state as you probably already know.

yes.... and i venture to guess if an attack would happen it would always be a surprise move from the unseen predator; a gun in a backpack would serve no purpose.

toby
08-09-2010, 6:16 PM
Ruger blackhawk 4 5/8'' barrel caliber 45colt 300 grain cast bullets at 1200 fps.

Abenaki
08-09-2010, 6:25 PM
If you live on the North side of Portola, then you are in a State Game Refuge. That may complicate things.

I would trust my life to any of the large magnume rounds....even a 45 acp if I had it.
I carry a 41 mag load hot!

Also while it is true that mountain lions prefere to attack from behind.....That is not always the case! They will take any oppertunity given them.

Abenaki

maddoggie13
08-09-2010, 6:28 PM
+1 on S&W 500. One shot one kill. :D

S&W Model 500 > bear/mountain lion

http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/001001/1001113.jpg

Abenaki
08-09-2010, 6:30 PM
I forgot. I know a guy that was elk hunting in Wyoming...I think.
Shot it during bow season. A grizz claimed it! The grizz charged! He turned the grizz around with a large can of bear spray! He said that when it was over, that he got the shakes so bad that he had to sit. And that he puked his guts out!

The bad thing about spray is.... that you have to be aware of wind direction, or you will be seasoning the bears next meal!

Abenaki

nitrofc
08-09-2010, 6:35 PM
If your dead serious about large wild animal protection.....I know I could work a deal for you on this......

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=325628&highlight=Smith+%26amp%3B+Wesson+Model+500

This will get the job done...no if's or but's about it.

bsg
08-09-2010, 6:52 PM
If your dead serious about large wild animal protection.....I know I could work a deal for you on this......

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=325628&highlight=Smith+%26amp%3B+Wesson+Model+500

This will get the job done...no if's or but's about it.

if i lived in the wilds... that gun would be my best friend. :)

xibunkrlilkidsx
08-09-2010, 8:39 PM
I agree with Ron-Solo that you very likely have nothing to fear from a bear or Puma in California. You're more likely to be hit by lightning. Or to run across some tweakers cooking up a batch of meth or some pot growers. Much more likely and much more dangerous to you.

That said, I wouldn't want to take on a bear with anything less than a .44 magnum. And no hollow points either. A bear skull is THICK. You need a sidearm that has maximum penetration to get through that.

If weight is a concern, get a .357 magnum. Ruger or Smith and Wesson would be my top picks for makes.

lol at the last couple lines. didnt see that coming.

bells for bears and avoiding evening and mornings with cats.
good pepper spray and maybe a good 357 or 44 mag. i would hesitate to use a gun right away with your baby.

lewdogg21
08-09-2010, 9:17 PM
.357 or higher if you want.

For those advocating 45 or 10mm, just look at the case sizing. That extra room = buttloads of powder which = kill kill kill!

This coming from a 45acp guy.

Ok my silly internet forum troll response is 45-70 govt. Seriously who the hell or what in the hell is going to get through one of those 405 grain pills? :)

Eddie1965
08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Cougars are the most successful hunters of all the big cats with an 80% kill ratio! Just avoid the time they are most active like the other posters have said.

Brujo
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
This whole thread sounds like a clear cut case of premeditated home invasion to me. :)

Johnny.B.Good
08-10-2010, 6:30 PM
Shotgun with one round of buckshot (to turn a charge) followed by as many slugs as it will hold (if the attempt to turn the charge fails).

On a fishing trip in Alaska, one of the guides carried a Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolver...

http://www.icollector.com/images/1594/17206/17206_0126_2_lg.jpg

Alaric
08-10-2010, 9:47 PM
This whole thread sounds like a clear cut case of premeditated home invasion to me. :)

If a bear gets shot in the woods and no hippies are there to complain about it, did it really get shot? :43:

RG0101
08-11-2010, 7:51 AM
I think it is threads like this that give gun owners bad names...obvious paranoia. OMG you saw a bear, rattlesnake, or a puma. Instead of considering yourself lucky for getting to see some nature you must instantly worry about how you could I kill it. Just lost some respect for Rangers in general if this is the attitude your get from all that training.

I grew up in Three Rivers, CA in the Sierra foothills. Bears in our mulberry tree where a daily occurrence when the tree was fruiting. Interesting all of us grew up from being little kids with out getting eaten.

If you don't like to see the animals move back to the city.

I'm not the type to kill anything and I think you took this totally out of proportion. I dont want to kill anything unless mine or one of my family members life is at stake. I simply posted on here wanting to know what members thought as far as carrying a side arm to defend in a situation that I have no control over. My dogs did a great job of treeing that big ole bear.. I have lived in the mountains and enjoy it very much I just have the attitude that its better to have it and not need it,,,, than to need it and not have it is all.. Soo back to square one!!! You can keep respecting all those Rangers... :) Rangers Lead The Way!!!!!!

RG0101
08-11-2010, 7:52 AM
Since the OP is in CA, I assume we're talking about black bear, right? A S&W 500 is way, way overkill for a blackie. A .357 magnum is generally regarded as excellent black bear medicine. The .500 is great if you like hand cannons (which I do), but will be much louder than a .357 or even a .44.

FWIW, black bears generally aren't aggressive towards humans unless you do something rather unfortunate.

As for a puma, choose whatever gun you can shoot well with your hand behind your back, because that's where you'll be aiming.

That was a good anolgy Thanx Rod