PDA

View Full Version : Question about handgun reg

Revolver
08-08-2010, 7:32 PM
Hello there,

So I moved into the state oh say a couple months ago. I brought with me my Winchester Model 12, my Rem 788, Benelli nova,Winchester 30/30, and my S&W model 627. What I'm wondering is since they are registered within the state of pennsylvania, do I need to re register them in Cali.

ke6guj
08-08-2010, 7:43 PM
Yes, you would need to register any handguns that you import into the state.

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

Librarian
08-08-2010, 7:45 PM
Hello there,

So I moved into the state oh say a couple months ago. I brought with me my Winchester Model 12, my Rem 788, Benelli nova,Winchester 30/30, and my S&W model 627. What I'm wondering is since they are registered within the state of pennsylvania, do I need to re register them in Cali.

You must register handguns, using the state form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf).

Nobody cares about long guns, unless by accident you bring in a CA 'assault weapon', a major no-no, but seems not to apply to the list you gave.

6114DAVE
08-08-2010, 7:46 PM
No reporting needed for long guns unless it qualifies as an " assault weapon" in which case you would have to bullet button it up. Handguns you have to report that you brought them to Cali with you, you have to mail in a form that's found on california DOJ website .... I'm short on time fit now so I can't give you a link...BRB standby. EDIT: everyone else answered while I was typing.....darn

Purple K
08-08-2010, 8:01 PM
The fee is only $19 and there is no penalty for missing the sixty day deadline.

Ron-Solo
08-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Welcome to CalGuns and California. It will take a while to figure up our screwed up gun laws.

NotEnufGarage
10-21-2010, 5:59 AM
When did the personal importer registration become law? I moved back to CA in 1996 from FL and never filed one for my Glock 17 or Taurus .357. If I apply for a CCW with these guns, am I in trouble?

NotEnufGarage
10-21-2010, 6:25 AM
When did the personal importer registration become law? I moved back to CA in 1996 from FL and never filed one for my Glock 17 or Taurus .357. If I apply for a CCW with these guns, am I in trouble?

Nevermind.. I found it in the wiki and PC that the requirement started Jan 1 1998, so I'm good and I assume I can list it on a CCW permit.

socal2310
10-21-2010, 6:39 AM
Nevermind.. I found it in the wiki and PC that the requirement started Jan 1 1998, so I'm good and I assume I can list it on a CCW permit.

You can list it on your application, but it's unlikely the sheriff (or police chief) will allow you to carry an unregistered firearm. Requirements such as that are likely to stand for a time even if we get shall issue.

Ryan