PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a semi auto rifle.

ace21
08-08-2010, 7:27 PM
Does anyone know the answer to such a question?

If using a semi auto rifle to hunt with. What is the maximum magazine capacity you can use?

My friend just took the hunting safety course and the instructor told them that what ever your rifle can hold....... is that correct? That doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks in advance

CSACANNONEER
08-08-2010, 7:29 PM

If using a semi auto rifle to hunt with. What is the maximum magazine capacity you can use?

My friend just took the hunting safety course and the instructor told them that what ever your rifle can hold....... is that correct? That doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks in advance

It varies from state to state. In California, it's whatever you want. Why do you ask? Are you planning on missing your first 29 shots?:rolleyes:

ace21
08-08-2010, 7:36 PM
I ask because "a friend of mine just took the Hunters safety course and the instructor told them that they can use as much ammo that there magazine can hold. I always thought there was a 5 round max on the magazine.

wjc
08-08-2010, 7:54 PM
I ask because "a friend of mine just took the Hunters safety course and the instructor told them that they can use as much ammo that there magazine can hold. I always thought there was a 5 round max on the magazine.

Historically, most people hunted with bolt actions...which generally have a 5 round mag....maybe that's where you got the reference from.

The only reg I can find regarding ammunition or capacity is section 355 in the Mammal regs that refer to type of ammo allowed, i.e Condor Zone.

Shotguns must have a 3 round capacity limit where applicable.

You can call DFG or try the California Q&A off the DFG website if you want to research this further.

Hrod8715
08-08-2010, 8:23 PM
I believe its centerfire only with 10 round max

pieeater
08-08-2010, 8:26 PM
In this state for centerfire if you legaly own it your ok. 50 cal belt fed is legal. Most of your "free states" have mag cap/ cal restrictions though.

I believe its centerfire only with 10 round max

Fjold
08-08-2010, 8:39 PM
There is no magazine capacity limit for hunting with a centerfire rifle in California.

Super Spy
08-08-2010, 8:43 PM
You must use expanding ammo in a centerfire rifle in CA. (for hunting)

remsenlab
08-08-2010, 8:50 PM
You're probably thinking about the shotgun restrictions for waterfowl (3 rounds).

thevic
08-08-2010, 9:08 PM
i use my m203 to hunt..it removes the field stripping process and its more of a challenge angling the shot :)

Baxter
08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
no mag restrictions.

motobean95
08-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks in advance

I had the same question so what I did was email the asst chief warden and he cleared it up. There is no limit for rifles only shot guns. But the state mag limit for any rifle is 10. So you max is ten. I plan to take the confirmed email with me when I hunt this year in case I run into a warden that needs a lesson or two. I am also hunting with an AR platform in a 6.8 caliber (ya ya ya whatever! Its the new age) so I clear up the rules on that as well. Send me a private message and I can forward you the email.

theseacow
08-11-2010, 11:55 AM
I had the same question so what I did was email the asst chief warden and he cleared it up. There is no limit for rifles only shot guns. But the state mag limit for any rifle is 10. So you max is ten. I plan to take the confirmed email with me when I hunt this year in case I run into a warden that needs a lesson or two. I am also hunting with an AR platform in a 6.8 caliber (ya ya ya whatever! Its the new age) so I clear up the rules on that as well. Send me a private message and I can forward you the email.

the state mag limit for a rifle is not 10.

ScottB
08-11-2010, 11:59 AM
the state mag limit for a rifle is not 10.

It is for a semi-auto unless its a RAW.

Honestly though, if you need more than five in the mag and one in chamber to bring down an animal, you're not ready to go hunting.

toby
08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
If you were to choose a single shot such as a Ruger#1 or a T/C you would not have to deal with the problem..........:rolleyes:

theseacow
08-11-2010, 12:07 PM

Honestly though, if you need more than five in the mag and one in chamber to bring down an animal, you're not ready to go hunting.

not true either. If its not a RAW, you can go featureless. I have hunted plenty of times where more than 10 rounds were fired off quickly. Ever run into a large sounder of pigs?

toby
08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
not true either. If its not a RAW, you can go featureless. I have hunted plenty of times where more than 10 rounds were fired off quickly. Ever run into a large sounder of pigs?

So in this instance I guess you just keep on pulling the trigger hoping you get one? or are you shooting multiple? since there is no limit, curious

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
There is no magazine capacity limit for hunting with a centerfire rifle in California.

This is true, however, you still cannot exceed 10 round magazine hunting or not!

Full Clip
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
This is true, however, you still cannot exceed 10 round magazine hunting or not!

Uh, wrong.

Fjold
08-11-2010, 1:05 PM
You can use any magazine in a hunting rifle as long as you owned it before the limits went into effect. If you want to hunt bunnies with a Calico and a 100 round drum magazine, go ahead, it's perfectly legal.

The ban on magazines over 10 rounds applies to selling, offering for sale, importing, loaning, giving and manufacturing. It does not apply to owning, using or hunting!

theseacow
08-11-2010, 1:05 PM
So in this instance I guess you just keep on pulling the trigger hoping you get one? or are you shooting multiple? since there is no limit, curious

multiple kills

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 1:11 PM
There is no limit for rifles only shot guns. But the state mag limit for any rifle is 10. So you max is ten.

Man, all three of you need to step back and learn the law before you try to give advise. It is perfectly legal for me to hunt with a none RAW semi auto with any magazine I want to as long as I do not create a RAW by introducing the mag to the gun. I can legally use my 1919 with a 250 round belt, one of my featureless AKs with a 75 round drum, my featureless ARs with beta mags, a 10-22 with a 50 round drum, etc. These are all legal examples of using +10 round mags in California while hunting. That said, anyone who hunts large game and feels the need for a semi auto or even more than 5 rounds of ammo needs to either learn to shoot or give up the idea of hunting all together. Now for rabbits and other small game, I find the convenance of a 25-50 round .22lr mag to be beneficial but not necessary.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 1:11 PM
You can use any magazine in a hunting rifle as long as you owned it before the limits went into effect. If you want to hunt bunnies with a Calico and a 100 round drum magazine, go ahead, it's perfectly legal.

The ban on magazines over 10 rounds applies to selling, offering for sale, importing, loaning, giving and manufacturing. It does not apply to owning, using or hunting!

I ammend my above post to include this as this is what I meant!

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 1:14 PM
I ammend my above post to include this as this is what I meant!

No you didn't.:p

POLICESTATE
08-11-2010, 1:16 PM
Sounds like for Rifles:

RAW = no limit assuming you've had your over 10 round mags since before the ban.

Non RAW = 10 rounds because of the so-called high cap mag ban.

That sound about right>?

theseacow
08-11-2010, 1:19 PM
That said, anyone who hunts large game and feels the need for a semi auto or even more than 5 rounds of ammo needs to either learn to shoot or give up the idea of hunting all together.

Why are you making this incorrect generalization? I hunt with a semi-auto all the time, and there have been MANY times where you would NOT have gotten the second or third or fourth shot off quick enough to take down the second, third, or fourth pig. Semi-auto has saved me, as well as having bigger capacity magazines.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 1:22 PM
No you didn't.:p

I ammended my above post by posting another post if that makes any sense! :p

POLICESTATE
08-11-2010, 1:23 PM
Yet another reason to repeal the AW and so-called high cap mag bans:

You need the extra rounds in case you stumble across a Mexican Cartel growing operation while hunting and it's guarded by thugs armed with full-auto AK's.

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 1:24 PM
Sounds like for Rifles:

RAW = no limit assuming you've had your over 10 round mags since before the ban.

That sound about right>?

NOPE!

I have legal +10 round mags that I use in my legal non AW SA featureless centerfire rifles and rimfire all the time. Why is this so hard for some of you to understand? The magazine ban has ZERO to do with the legal use of +10 round magazines.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 1:25 PM
NOPE!

I have legal +10 round mags that I use in my legal non AW SA featureless centerfire rifles and rimfire all the time. Why is this so hard for some of you to understand? The magazine ban has ZERO to do with the legal use of +10 round magazines.

I get that, however, most people do not own pre-ban mags so for most of us it does not apply!

theseacow
08-11-2010, 1:26 PM
Sounds like for Rifles:

That sound about right>?

no. non-raw, non-evil featured can have standard capacity mags.

*edit*csacannoneer beat me to it.

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 1:28 PM
Why are you making this incorrect generalization? I hunt with a semi-auto all the time, and there have been MANY times where you would NOT have gotten the second or third or fourth shot off quick enough to take down the second, third, or fourth pig. Semi-auto has saved me, as well as having bigger capacity magazines.

OK, so, four shots and 4 pigs. That's still leaves you 2 rounds in your rifle. Anyway, sorry, I wasn't thinking about pigs as big game. I was thinking of game that you will only be able to get one or two tags for. Besides, I'm too lazy to dress out and prossess 4 pigs in a day. So, I wouldn't do that. Now, deprevation "hunting" for pigs could require a good belt fed. But, that's not my idea of "hunting" just pest control the fun way.

Full Clip
08-11-2010, 1:32 PM
I get that, however, most people do not own pre-ban mags so for most of us it does not apply!

But your blanket statements above are incorrect as they are completely unqualified as such. Thusly, you only create FUD.

theseacow
08-11-2010, 1:35 PM
OK, so, four shots and 4 pigs. That's still leaves you 2 rounds in your rifle. Anyway, sorry, I wasn't thinking about pigs as big game. I was thinking of game that you will only be able to get one or two tags for. Besides, I'm too lazy to dress out and prossess 4 pigs in a day. So, I wouldn't do that. Now, deprevation "hunting" for pigs could require a good belt fed. But, that's not my idea of "hunting" just pest control the fun way.

I only mentioned 4. We have gone a lot further than that a number of times. Also, anyone thats hunted pigs enough times knows that every once in a while it takes more than 1 shot to put it down. Doesnt matter how good your first shot was, it happens.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 1:37 PM
But your blanket statements above are incorrect as they are completely unqualified as such. Thusly, you only create FUD.
My apologies for spreading FUD as that was not my intention. Let me clarify...

It is perfectly legal to use mags that have a capacity of more then ten rounds if said mags were owned prior to the ban. If they were not owned prior to the ban then posessing such a "Hi Cap Mag" would be illegal!

POLICESTATE
08-11-2010, 1:39 PM
I hate this stupid state. There has got to be a way to get all the stupid out of it.

theseacow
08-11-2010, 1:40 PM
My apologies for spreading FUD as that was not my intention. Let me clarify...

It is perfectly legal to use mags that have a capacity of more then ten rounds if said mags were owned prior to the ban. If they were not owned prior to the ban then posessing such a "Hi Cap Mag" would be illegal!

lol. CLOSE! but not 100% accurate. There are several legal methods to obtain mags with 10+ capacity after the ban. But now we are getting into the details...

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 1:45 PM
lol. CLOSE! but not 100% accurate. There are several legal methods to obtain mags with 10+ capacity after the ban. But now we are getting into the details...

Jerry.... Jerry.... :p

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 1:50 PM
I hate this stupid state. There has got to be a way to get all the stupid out of it.

Wow is this not the wrong thread to complain about California laws or, in this case, lack of laws. Well, I guess you are free to move to a state which limits a rifle's mag capacity to 5 round when hunting.

lewdogg21
08-11-2010, 1:50 PM
I've shot 12 deer at once, My name is PCH and I'm a compulsive poacher!:28:

:rofl2:

theseacow
08-11-2010, 1:54 PM
I've shot 12 deer at once, My name is PCH and I'm a compulsive poacher!:28:

I know a guy who swears he killed 16 quail with 1 shot of #8 birdshot. Obviously no one believes him, but he still maintains... *sigh*

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2010, 2:01 PM
I've shot 12 deer at once, My name is PCH and I'm a compulsive poacher!

Yea, but they were lined up and he only had to cast one arrow at them.

His next feat will be to take an entire herd of deer by throwing a rock and having it skip from one head to the next, knocking them all out long enough for him to hog tie them and bring them home alive!

I know a guy who swears he killed 16 quail with 1 shot of #8 birdshot. Obviously no one believes him, but he still maintains... *sigh*

My gramps did take 9 ducks down with one shot back in the late 40s. Of course, that's when the ducks were thick enough to almost black out the sunlight at times.

Market hunters would routinely get HUNDREDS of ducks with one shot from a punt gun back in the 1800's.

So, while 16 birds with one shot of 12g is a stretch, if he took a shot at a covey bunched tightly together and on the ground, I'd buy it. Not "sporting" or what I'd consider "hunting" but depending on the distance and choke, it isn't impossible to harvest 16 birds with one shot. I've waited for 3 quail to line up in a row and harvested them with one shot of 2 1'2" .410s loaded with #9s before.

Full Clip
08-11-2010, 2:03 PM
Wow is this not the wrong thread to complain about California laws or, in this case, lack of laws. Well, I guess you are free to move to a state which limits a rifle's mag capacity to 5 round when hunting.

Yes, it's amazing that our brilliant CA lawmakers missed this opportunity to again infringe on our rights.
In CO, where I generally hunt, it's 5 rounds or less for hunting.

POLICESTATE
08-11-2010, 2:05 PM
Yes, it's amazing that our brilliant CA lawmakers missed this opportunity to again infringe on our rights.
In CO, where I generally hunt, it's 5 rounds or less for hunting.

We better delete this thread before they look on here and start up a bill!

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 2:17 PM
We better delete this thread before they look on here and start up a bill!

Colorado is very pro gun (Except in Denver!) so it won't happen!:rolleyes:

toby
08-11-2010, 2:24 PM

Honest,I swear,no lie,may lighting strike me, and whatever else, I have taken three and four quail with one shot a few times and the first and only time I purposely hunted Chucker I got two for two shot's from flight. It does happen.........:)

theseacow
08-11-2010, 2:28 PM
Honest,I swear,no lie,may lighting strike me, and whatever else, I have taken three and four quail with one shot a few times and the first and only time I purposely hunted Chucker I got two for two shot's from flight. It does happen.........:)

3-4 is not 16. I killed 3 big blue grouse with 1 shot when I lined em up. Pile up 16 quail, and then empty a #8 shot shell and you'll see why his claim is ridiculous. Add in the fact that #8 isn't going to pass clean through a quail if hits in an area that will kill it...

toby
08-11-2010, 2:34 PM
3-4 is not 16. I killed 3 big blue grouse with 1 shot when I lined em up. Pile up 16 quail, and then empty a #8 shot shell and you'll see why his claim is ridiculous. Add in the fact that #8 isn't going to pass clean through a quail if hits in an area that will kill it...

I realize that, just wanted to add to the thread, but if those quail were bunched up under a bush just maybe it could happen.....or NOT....lol

POLICESTATE
08-11-2010, 2:37 PM
Colorado is very pro gun (Except in Denver!) so it won't happen!:rolleyes:

Meant California :)

lewdogg21
08-11-2010, 6:30 PM
How about 2 guys in the duck blind, 3 sprig fly over (limit is one each). First guy shoots and dumps all 3. 2nd guy looks at him with a look of "what the **** you shot my duck and put us over the limit".

I may or may not have witnessed this first hand. :)

I used to have a BAR in .300 mag. Killed a couple elk and 3 deer with it. Great semi auto.

Tanner68
08-11-2010, 6:38 PM
I've been thinking about hunting deer with my K31, which has a capacity of 6+1. Glad to know I won't have to use a modified magazine to be legal.

Big Jake
08-11-2010, 7:07 PM
Meant California :)

Got it! :)