PDA

View Full Version : Best zone for bear?

Hunt
08-08-2010, 4:58 PM
which zone do you guys think would produce a successful bear hunt? I am thinking B zones, which areas?

pieeater
08-08-2010, 5:09 PM
Mendocino, I hear they are thick up at Trinity too. Seriously no BS at all, we counted 37 bears on a ranch up there in less than a day of driving around. If conditions are right they are all over the place.

lewdogg21
08-08-2010, 6:48 PM
Mendocino, I hear they are thick up at Trinity too. Seriously no BS at all, we counted 37 bears on a ranch up there in less than a day of driving around. If conditions are right they are all over the place.

that's freaking crazy. You sure it wasn't 37 pigs? :p

Maybe it's a manbearpig hybrid!

Big Jake
08-08-2010, 6:50 PM
The "kill zone" is the best place to shoot them LOL! :D

taperxz
08-08-2010, 7:22 PM
Covelo and the Marble Mountains are thick with bear.

pieeater
08-08-2010, 7:37 PM
http://www.fototime.com/4A3033E827ABD27/standard.jpg

that's freaking crazy. You sure it wasn't 37 pigs? :p

Maybe it's a manbearpig hybrid!

pieeater
08-08-2010, 7:50 PM
Not just where to hunt them, but when to hunt them is more important. Depending on food sources they can be all over the place or nowhere to be seen. Some of that depends on the particular bear. But when food is plentiful for a short time like Berrys, acorns,grasshoppers etc or the lack of, they will be on the move. My advice would be to not plan a 3 day bear hunt, but to spend as much time as you can in the woods all day long. You can only pattern these things so much. Putting in lots of time is the way to kill them.

CHAD PEZZLE
08-09-2010, 8:13 AM
Looking at fish and game stats, Siskiyou, Shasta, Trinity, Humboldt, and Mendocino counties have the highest harvest % from last year. Most of my hunting takes place in Mendocino National Forest and we see a few bears every year, but were usually looking for deer. Trinity Alps and Marble Mountains are good places to check out as well. I hunted the Alps last year and saw three different bears over three days. All were at lower elevations where food was plentiful. As I hiked further up where manzanita and oaks thinned out I didn't see as much sign, this was labor day of last year.

Contact the local DFG offices and get in touch with the biologist. They can tell what's going as far as feeding habits and such. Generally in the opening of season you'll find them at lower elevations going for the acorns and berries trying to fatten up for the up coming winter season.

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-09-2010, 9:41 AM
Sonora Pass area, in D6, also has a lot of bears.... but also has a lot of deer hunters. Best time to hit that area is during archery season.

echo1
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Where ever there's a deer gut pile. PAX

r3dn3ck
08-09-2010, 1:23 PM
most anywhere in a B zone is good. I've got my spots for bears this year.