PDA

View Full Version : Black Star Canyon - UOC

locosway
08-08-2010, 4:30 PM
I'm going to Black Star Canyon tonight, and the area around it, to take pictures with a friend. I'll be LUCC in the car, and while I'm there I'll be away from the car, and LUCC isn't an option.

Does anyone know if it's ok to UOC in this area? I'll probably be on the side of the road and walking around trains and such.

Only reason I want to carry is because we'll have some expensive camera equipment and we'll be out past dark.

Rule .308
08-08-2010, 4:48 PM
You know that place is haunted right?:eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

locosway
08-08-2010, 5:20 PM
You know that place is haunted right?:eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

I've heard the stories... I'm just more worried about the gang bangers. Often enough you hear of people being robbed, beat, raped, and killed out that way. I guess that's what happens when you have a somewhat rural area near such large metro areas.

My friend said the cops go through there and kick people out. Hopefully they don't make us leave without good cause. We're just going for some sunset shots and then some star pics.

ir0nclash86
08-08-2010, 8:42 PM
Last I heard the black star area is private property and sometimes cops will be standing at the entrance warning people. They told my friend they have no jurisdiction in that area and to becareful cause people go missing. Some kid in high school went missing in there. Also heard kkk have meetings deep inside there. There's also a man with a house in there who sits on his porch with a shotgun because of trespassers. Everything I heard came from my cousins mouth and my high school teacher so not how sure if everything is true.

VegasND
08-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I moved away over 30 years ago and you guys still repeat the stories ...

Cool!

:clap:

locosway
08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Was out there for over three hours exercising my crippled right to open carry. No one said a word, and there was a car full of "questionable" people who saw me and they decided to go smoke out somewhere else.

Two people showed up with telescopes and we talked for a while and what not. I honestly don't even think these two guys even noticed me carrying.

As we drove out the Sheriff rolled in, but by then it was too late to see what their reaction would have been.

As for the private property, we didn't go onto it. We parked outside the gate and took pictures there. A group of kids that looked between 14-17 walked in with no flash lights before dark and never came out. Maybe that's where the stories come from?

NiteQwill
08-09-2010, 12:50 AM
A CG member here (and personal friend), had his two girl friends raped and assaulted there many years ago. That place is sketchy, to say the least.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-09-2010, 9:37 AM
I've heard that satan worshipers and witches practice rituals there, not the KKK.

I have a friend that went there when he was a teenager and saw some scary #$&* there, and won't go back no matter how much I tried to convince him to show me.

All I know is that I wouldn't go there unarmed.

VegasND
08-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I've heard that satan worshipers and witches practice rituals there, not the KKK.

I have a friend that went there when he was a teenager and saw some scary #$&* there, and won't go back no matter how much I tried to convince him to show me.

All I know is that I wouldn't go there unarmed.
Well, when I was a teenager I'd take girls to those canyons. I'd pack a picnic lunch and blanket, grab something like a rubber-band powered toy airplane, and spend the afternoon there. Black Star was my favorite because it had almost no traffic, was very quiet, and you felt like you were in the middle of nowhere.

Never any trouble of any kind -- and girls always seemed to really enjoy the date ...

OCArmory
08-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I used to live in the Trailer park back there. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out. It is actually quite peaceful. It is way out of the way so you should realize that when planning to go there. Most of the people that live back there are actually pretty nice.
Mike

Decoligny
08-09-2010, 12:54 PM
If it is outside of incorporated city limits, and shooting ins't prohibited by county ordinances, and you aren't in a school zone, then you should be able to Loaded Open Carry.

creekside
08-09-2010, 1:35 PM
I've been up Black Star a number of times. There is one kooky neighbor who believes that the road beyond the gate is his (it is not, there is a public easement). Behave yourselves, note the camera installed along the road entry and obey the parking restrictions at the base of the road.

I would, as at any time when choosing to UOC while hiking, carry a locking case with you. Beware of the destination requirement in 12026.2 and use caution in what you say to the nice deputies if you lock the gun up.

"(b) In order for a firearm to be exempted under subdivision (a), while being transported to or from a place, the firearm shall be unloaded, kept in a locked container, as defined in subdivision (d), and the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

Don't go alone. Not kidding.

fd15k
08-09-2010, 1:48 PM
Beware of the destination requirement in 12026.2

:beatdeadhorse5:

thrillhouse700
08-09-2010, 1:57 PM
A CG member here (and personal friend), had his two girl friends raped and assaulted there many years ago. That place is sketchy, to say the least.

Sadly I remember reading this in the paper. Bunch a gang bangers if I remember correctly. It is a shame these people ruin any type of land that is or once was beautiful. Can we do anything about it? Nope, in Ca its illegal to defend yourself and your once beautiful land destroyed by anchor baby gang bangers.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-09-2010, 5:29 PM
Well, when I was a teenager I'd take girls to those canyons. I'd pack a picnic lunch and blanket, grab something like a rubber-band powered toy airplane, and spend the afternoon there. Black Star was my favorite because it had almost no traffic, was very quiet, and you felt like you were in the middle of nowhere.

Never any trouble of any kind -- and girls always seemed to really enjoy the date ...

But were you there at night?

Thats the time when the bad stuff supposedly happens.

VegasND
08-09-2010, 5:51 PM
But were you there at night?

Thats the time when the bad stuff supposedly happens.
Yeah, over 30 years ago.

I never saw any of the 'things' the stories were about. I'd go out with friends sometimes just to sit on the tailgate to listen and watch. No excitement at all.

creekside
08-09-2010, 6:17 PM
:beatdeadhorse5:

There's a reason here. Black Star is a road open to the public but closed to vehicular traffic. Most of the people who head up Black Star intend to hike several miles or more on foot.

Nice icon, though.