PDA

View Full Version : Is the cost of a in state transfer the same as FTF?

tools2teach
08-08-2010, 1:12 PM
Going to buy a firearm from Sacramento to Orange County. It the cost of a FFL transfer still the same as a FTF?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-08-2010, 1:25 PM
In order for a transfer to be eligible for the $35 PPT price, both parties must go to the FFL for the transfer. The law does not specify that both parties must go to the FFL, but the DROS software is set up in a way that both parties must go there to swipe their IDs.

If you have the gun shipped to the FFL from somewhere else in California then he can charge you whatever he wants for the transfer, just like if the gun was coming in from out of state.

kemasa
08-08-2010, 2:09 PM
Both parties in a PPT have to go to the FFL, just not at the same time. The seller can sign a DROS worksheet in advance, which is how some consignment sales are done.

As was stated, it is not a PPT and the fees are not limited.

BayAreaShooter
08-08-2010, 2:11 PM
The only way to do a FTF in California Legally is if the firearm is over 50 years old. You do not need a FFL to do a transfer.

Cokebottle
08-08-2010, 2:15 PM
Going to buy a firearm from Sacramento to Orange County. It the cost of a FFL transfer still the same as a FTF?
No.

FTF, both parties present, $35 max ($25 DROS plus $10).
Any "ffl transfer", whether in-state or from out of state, is subject to whatever the heck the FFL decides to charge.
For handguns, it is also subject to the non-unsafe handgun roster, and the 1-every-30 limitation.

Cokebottle
08-08-2010, 2:16 PM
The only way to do a FTF in California Legally is if the firearm is over 50 years old. You do not need a FFL to do a transfer.
He's referring to FTF PPT at an FFL... not a "cash and carry" transaction.

tenpercentfirearms
08-08-2010, 11:37 PM
No.

FTF, both parties present, $35 max ($25 DROS plus $10).
Any "ffl transfer", whether in-state or from out of state, is subject to whatever the heck the FFL decides to charge.
For handguns, it is also subject to the non-unsafe handgun roster, and the 1-every-30 limitation.

Sorry Coke, but he was right. FTF is face to face and in Free America that means no dealer involved. Here in California we must PPT a firearm and Private Party Transfer must go through a dealer.

Yes, he probably meant PPT, but he said FTF and technically there are no FTFs in California except on the old guns and in Geocaching.

tools2teach
08-09-2010, 1:03 AM
Sorry...I meant PPT, so as long as the other person goes through an FFL and does the DROs in his area, then the out of state fees don't apply? Just the 25+10 for the DROs?

I'm confused.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-09-2010, 1:22 AM
Sorry...I meant PPT, so as long as the other person goes through an FFL and does the DROs in his area, then the out of state fees don't apply? Just the 25+10 for the DROs?

I'm confused.

To be eligible for a $35 PPT, both parties to the transaction must go to the same California licensed dealer in person. If the gun is shipped to the transferring dealer instead of brought there in person by the seller then the transferring dealer can charge whatever he wants for the transfer.

BayAreaShooter
08-09-2010, 1:47 AM
He's referring to FTF PPT at an FFL... not a "cash and carry" transaction.

Thank you for clearing that up. :D

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2010, 7:42 AM

I'm confused.

As was stated, a PPT is between two CA residents with ID or DL that both go into a dealer together (or separate if you find a cool enough FFL) for the transfer. A PPT done like this is limited to $35. Additionally this is one of the only ways you can get off roster handguns.

If the gun is shipped in whether from in or out of state, then it is not a PPT, but simply a transfer. In this case the dealer is no limited to any sort of maximum charge and can charge whatever they want. You will often find transfer fees ranging from $25 to $125. Handguns shipped in this manner must be CA Roster approved with a few intrafamilial or law enforcement exceptions.

K_Labs
08-13-2010, 10:27 AM
If the gun is shipped in whether from in or out of state, then it is not a PPT, but simply a transfer. In this case the dealer is no limited to any sort of maximum charge and can charge whatever they want. You will often find transfer fees ranging from $25 to $125. Handguns shipped in this manner must be CA Roster approved with a few intrafamilial or law enforcement exceptions.

I tried to PM you but I can't. So does anyone know of any place around orange county that is in that $25 transfer fee range? I'd sure love to do business with a place like that.