PDA

View Full Version : Redondo Beach UOC Event - LA Times

Letitrip
08-08-2010, 9:08 AM
I was just reading today's paper (California Section), and there was an article on an unloaded open carry event in Redondo Beach by the pier. Apparently Redondo Beach is defining the pier as a park, and since the city passed an ordinance to ban guns from parks, they essentially banned guns from the pier & of course parks.

The article seemed pretty balanced IMHO.

Its vexing that cities continue to infringe on our 2nd amendment rights.

NightOwl
08-08-2010, 9:21 AM
State has clear preemption. The law isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The fact that the newspaper didn't bother to check on this, a claim put forth by the UOC people in attendence, seems like second rate journalism. A quick write up, and off to the presses!

The comments section is pretty wild though.

Letitrip
08-08-2010, 9:45 AM
Okay, I stopped being lazy and looked it up on their website:
Here is the link for anyone interested:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-open-carry-20100808,0,1208296.story

Wow those comments on there are terrible.

radioburning
08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I wonder if there will ever be a comments section to one of these stories where some jackhole doesn't think they're being super funny and original by saying "gun owners are just compensating for their penis". God, if I hear that one more time, I'm gonna pull my hair out.

Zomgie
08-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I decided to log onto calguns after reading this article (which was maybe not well written, but felt balanced) and the comments. The idiotic comments made there really get the blood pumping :P

My favorite comment was some idiot talking about how all the pro-gun comments were so hostile when this same idiot had called all OCers idiots, morons, small-penis,etc. and made multiple comments hoping that current members of the USSC would die.

pullnshoot25
08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
The police in redondo beach are idiots and, as is usual with most cops, are more concerned with impromptu pseudo-legislation than enforcing the actual law.

Scott Connors
08-08-2010, 1:04 PM
I wonder if there will ever be a comments section to one of these stories where some jackhole doesn't think they're being super funny and original by saying "gun owners are just compensating for their penis". God, if I hear that one more time, I'm gonna pull my hair out.

Just so you don't disprove it by pulling out something else. :eek:

puppy8a9
08-08-2010, 3:20 PM
We were able to pull together and instead of this being holster only I drove down and assisted. We were able to carry our guns and worked with the police. The fact the "other weapons" is in any code is beyond me. The fact the maps in the city show this as commercial is a fact. If this was park land it would need to be registered as such which it is not. This area is known as a 'Pier', 'Boardwalk', 'park' ext. If you ask whether the park is state, federal, city or other nobody knows or will get back to us. The 5/24 approved codes have not gone through any final revisions and look like they were put together by a bunch of clowns the way they are written. The citizen's advisory panel for the pier has not been used in years even though it is an adopted process that appears to be skipped for inputs.

The way the media wrote it up was a ploy and a game. The police kept needing to go back to figure it out so if that is the case then how can the average citizen figure this out. It is 100% defensible but it could still get expensive if something were to happen. The police spent plenty of time with us trying to figure out what the city attorney meant. There are also no posted signs or clearly defined spaces. The imaginary lines were shown to the group by the police and the police had no intention of sighting anybody and they did not.

This is just a city which needs training and a better city attorney and council who knows how to write codes better. There is still much work to be done for the sake of the police and open carriers.

glbtrottr
08-08-2010, 3:44 PM
Congrats guys....

pullnshoot25
08-08-2010, 5:37 PM
We were able to pull together and instead of this being holster only I drove down and assisted. We were able to carry our guns and worked with the police. The fact the "other weapons" is in any code is beyond me. The fact the maps in the city show this as commercial is a fact. If this was park land it would need to be registered as such which it is not. This area is known as a 'Pier', 'Boardwalk', 'park' ext. If you ask whether the park is state, federal, city or other nobody knows or will get back to us. The 5/24 approved codes have not gone through any final revisions and look like they were put together by a bunch of clowns the way they are written. The citizen's advisory panel for the pier has not been used in years even though it is an adopted process that appears to be skipped for inputs.

The way the media wrote it up was a ploy and a game. The police kept needing to go back to figure it out so if that is the case then how can the average citizen figure this out. It is 100% defensible but it could still get expensive if something were to happen. The police spent plenty of time with us trying to figure out what the city attorney meant. There are also no posted signs or clearly defined spaces. The imaginary lines were shown to the group by the police and the police had no intention of sighting anybody and they did not.

This is just a city which needs training and a better city attorney and council who knows how to write codes better. There is still much work to be done for the sake of the police and open carriers.

Or the City Attorney can just follow the friggin law. State pre-emption, anyone? Anyone?

dantodd
08-08-2010, 9:04 PM

Yes. My penis is Soooooo big I have to carry a .25 to compensate.

Tim Leese
08-08-2010, 9:10 PM
Originally there was a group who was going to open carry on the pier and challenge the police to arrest us but everyone backed out at the last minute.

It would have been interesting. I was down for it. There is NO LAW that anyone could find that showed it was prohibited.

PsychGuy274
08-08-2010, 9:24 PM

That's when you say, "I carry a small gun to compensate for my huge penis."

I shut a liberal up with that one :D

N6ATF
08-08-2010, 9:29 PM
"Don't hate on post-op transsexuals. I carry a Barrett M82."