PDA

View Full Version : Hi, im new.

Ch1ef
08-08-2010, 8:02 AM
Hello, ive been visiting this site for the past month and check the for sale section daily =). I have a few general questions that i hope to get some thoughts on. I am particularly looking at ar's.

As a first time AR buyer what do you think about buying used? Most used guns are listed to have 500-1000 rounds through them, how mush does this affect value? Is it ok to ask a private seller to look before purchase and what would you inspect? In general does it seem people who list the price of each part on the rifle want more?

As far as buying new and ordering online i have some more questions. Im curious as using a personal out of state 3rd party. Once the gun is cal configured can the gun be transfered to me in that state? If the 3rd party brings the gun to CA can a FTF transfer be done? If shipped does it have to be shipped from a dealer? The third party would be immediate family or a LEO if that has any barring.

Sorry, but i have some more questions :eek: . One of my concerns is resale. I have sufficient funds but in this economy i dont wanna kick my self 6 months down the road. Does a factory built gun have higher resale value than a built rifle? And in general how much value does a ar hold?

Your opinions would be great, sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

RTE
08-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Hello, ive been visiting this site for the past month and check the for sale section daily =). I have a few general questions that i hope to get some thoughts on. I am particularly looking at ar's.
Fire away :p

As a first time AR buyer what do you think about buying used?
Is it ok to ask a private seller to look before purchase and what would you inspect?
Buying used is fine (Check out anything you buy New or Used)

Most used guns are listed to have 500-1000 rounds through them, how much does this affect value? In general does it seem people who list the price of each part on the rifle want more?
500-1000 rounds is minimal...again checking condition is key.
In general Yes you can ask what you want for what your selling.

One of my concerns is resale. I have sufficient funds but in this economy i dont wanna kick my self 6 months down the road. Does a factory built gun have higher resale value than a built rifle? And in general how much value does a ar hold?
Dont buy for resale
Depends on who the builder is (I'd lean toward a known name factory)

Just my $0.02 worth.....the bill is in the mail :D

You might want to check into this page
So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?
http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

Enjoy your AR

Juice5610
08-08-2010, 11:16 AM

As a first time AR buyer what do you think about buying used? Most used guns are listed to have 500-1000 rounds through them, how mush does this affect value? Is it ok to ask a private seller to look before purchase and what would you inspect? In general does it seem people who list the price of each part on the rifle want more?

As far as buying new and ordering online i have some more questions. Im curious as using a personal out of state 3rd party. Once the gun is cal configured can the gun be transfered to me in that state? If the 3rd party brings the gun to CA can a FTF transfer be done? If shipped does it have to be shipped from a dealer? The third party would be immediate family or a LEO if that has any barring.

Sorry, but i have some more questions :eek: . One of my concerns is resale. I have sufficient funds but in this economy i dont wanna kick my self 6 months down the road. Does a factory built gun have higher resale value than a built rifle? And in general how much value does a ar hold?

Buying is perfectly fine its a firearm not a pair of underwear lol. Its is perfectly fine to want to inspect the firearm before purchase if the buyer doesnt allow it then pass on the firearm as something might be wrong with it. As to what to inspect just run a quick google search and it will go way further in depth then I could now (posting from my phone). Posting a parts list doesn't necessarily mean the want more money(unless the include the prices) its just a parts list of whats on the weapon.

I belive in california all personal sales have to be face to face unless its coming from a dealer to another dealer

Firearms for the most part hold their value pretty well (as long as they are in good shape) but do expect to take a small hit. Also if you plan to add things to your AR keep all the stock stuff in case u wanna sell it(not everyone has the same taste)

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Some of the AR's in the for sale forum are over priced. If you can get a great deal buy it.
For the difference as cheap as they are Buy new.

greasemonkey
08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
An AR isn't the type of thing you get into for a strong ROI but it will hold its value reasonably well, they just don't horrifically depreciate like a car does. Used is fine, I just put one together with a used upper I got off of the classifieds here, no problem. Just make sure you know what to look for or take someone with that knows.

Ron-Solo
08-08-2010, 1:03 PM
There are a lot of good vendors here on CalGuns that can get you into an AR platform rifle without problems and no worries. In SoCal I'd suggest Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside or Riflegear in OC. Ten Percent Firearms is in Taft. I've done business with all and they are stand up dealers. There are many others out there too. I've just not had any dealings with them.

Welcome to CalGuns!

Big Jake
08-08-2010, 5:43 PM
Welcome to calguns!

-hanko
08-08-2010, 6:13 PM
Take round count with a bazillion grains of salt;).

Most FS rifles have "500 to 1000 rounds":rolleyes: Somewhat akin to turning back a speedometer.

-hanko

Sky_DiveR
08-08-2010, 7:43 PM
Welcome to CalGuns.

In your case, I would say, buy from one of the on-line vendors (preferably ones that sponsor this forum). I've dealt with quite a few of them over the years and none will steer ya wrong. For the price difference and you're just learning, I would stick with new. You're pretty sure that it's been assembled properly plus you can always add/subtract parts later. Since you are out of town (state?) inspecting would be difficult. Kinda like getting a haircut over the phone... it will take 3 times as long and still won't come out right.

Visit a store local to you and handle everything to see what ya like. Visit the local shooting range and ask questions of others that have AR's (especially ones that have their AR setup how you like). Visit Brownells AR15 Builder on the link above and put some together to see what ya like (or don't like). Then ask more questions.

Good luck in your journey, but be careful of the "Black Rifle Disease"... it's very contagious.

joedogboy
08-08-2010, 8:13 PM
Used might be better than brand-spanking new, especially if the barrel has been "properly" broken in.

Breaking in the barrel can be a bit of a PITA. Some manufacturers "recommend" firing 100 rounds to break it in, cleaning the chamber and barrel after each of the first ten rounds, and then every ten rounds after that. They claim that failure to do this in the recommended manner will void the warranty.

So if you trust the seller, used is great. If you don't know them, then used is still probably fine.

norcal.xd
08-08-2010, 9:43 PM
i built mine with no prior experience.. (with some calgun advice of course) but i feel that its cheaper and better to know how the gun is built and how it works..nothing wrong with buying at the store though..

HotRails
08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome to Calguns! As far as wear goes, checking the rifling in a barrel is a good way to go (checking to make sure unloaded of course). Look down a new one and compare. Most people don't know how many rounds they've put down the pipe anyhow, so don't put alot of weight on the round count.

The AR shouldn't be as much of a concern since, unlike the ComBloc rifles, there isn't a ton of corrosive surplus ammo out there! Have fun!