PDA

View Full Version : Archery quail chukar. Who's in? Opening date not set yet.

spectr17
08-07-2010, 10:25 PM
All you need is some flu-flu arrows and some snaros and you get first crack on the chucks and quail before they get schooled.

Snaros come in 3" and 6" versions. Get the 6" if you can. They will kong a quail pretty good, it's like flinging an ashtray at them. The wires bend back when they hit something so they don't grenade when they hit.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/snaro_point_big.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/snaro-bird-point.jpg

Flu-flu arrows have big feathers on them to keep the arrow from zinging off out of sight. The huge feathers slow down the arrow to where it lands 30 yards out if you miss your target. You can buy flu-flu arrows already made or just refletch some junker arrows you have laying around. You're not going to be shooting 50 yards bullseyes with these so you don't need top dollar arrows.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/flu_flu_arrow_big.jpg

Who's in?

On the opening date, DFG pushed backed their meeting to finalize the regs.

State of California
Fish and Game
Commission
1416 9th Street
Sacramento, California 95814
(916) 508-5262
August 4, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FISH AND GAME COMMISSION MEETING RESCHEDULED

SACRAMENTO - The Fish and Game Commission has rescheduled its Aug. 5, 2010
teleconference meeting to Aug. 18, 2010. Items originally scheduled for the Aug. 5
meeting will be held over until Aug. 18. The agenda for the Aug. 18 teleconference
meeting will be available by Aug. 6.

The Commission will consider adoption of regulations concerning upland game bird
hunting, waterfowl hunting and lobster sport fishing. In addition, the Commission is
expected to authorize its staff to publish notice of its intent to consider changes to the
sport and commercial groundfish fishing regulations, approve private lands habitat
management plans and licenses, extend a state water bottoms lease, change the
location of a future meeting and receive reports from the Department of Fish and Game.

DirtyDave
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm down for some of that

oakland1067
08-10-2010, 4:51 PM
I might be in for some of this. Are you organizing an outing?

spectr17
08-10-2010, 6:05 PM
Looks like the regs will be set on the 18th so not sure when DFG will open the season. I guess we're sitting on our hands this Saturday instead of flinging arruhs at them evil chukars. :(

I spoke to one biologist from the upper desert at Bass Pro this weekend and he said this year will be BETTER than the banner year we had in 2005. Get in on this bandanza because it might be a bust for the next couple years depending on spring rains.

qbi2001
08-10-2010, 9:39 PM
Im in, time to buy some flu flus. If this gets me an early season before the desert chickens are completly human shy, Ill give it a try.

spectr17
08-11-2010, 5:35 PM
DFG says the opener will be Saturday Aug 21st. I'm tied up running a booth at Bass Pro that weekend but I can make it the next Friday/Saturday Aug 27-28. Anybody want to do a campout at say Red Mtn our past Adelanto. Good coyote and jackrabbit out hunting out there too. I have to be back Sat night but was thinking camp Friday night out there. I just saw a pic of 200 chukars running across the hwy right near Randsberg too.

DirtyDave
08-11-2010, 8:31 PM
Aug 21st same as Bear opener. Looks like I'll have Snaro's and Broadheads in my Quiver