PDA

View Full Version : Can I LOC on unincorporated public land?

Lone_Gunman
08-07-2010, 11:00 PM
A couple friends and I are planning on going shooting in a couple spots on unincorporated public land. These areas are near the ponds that they dug out when they were building I5. Both areas have signs posted that say NO GUNS FROM 2/1 - 8/31. No other signs posted in the first area, no other gun related sign posted in the second area. We will be going after 8/31.

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to LOC while we are target shooting? Or tell me how I can find out?

entrance for the first area is at 38.137646,-121.418137

Will be shooting in the first area at about 38.136655,-121.418721

entrance for second area is at 38.112786,-121.397234

Will be shooting in the second area at around 38.109933,-121.411289

If you copy and paste the Coordinates into google maps (http://maps.google.com/) and have it on satellite view you can see exactly where I'm talking about.

cmth
08-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Check the county muni code for any restrictions on shooting in that area. Some areas may have restrictions on what types of guns may be fired (e.g. restricted to shotgun only) and may restrict shooting to legal hunting only. If it's not legal to shoot your gun(s) there, it's not legal to carry loaded there.

Lone_Gunman
08-07-2010, 11:31 PM
This is all that the muni code says

CHAPTER 2 - DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS

Sections:

4-2100 - FIRING ON HIGHWAYS.

4-2101 - FIRING IN PUBLIC PLACES.

4-2102 - LIMITATION.

4-2100 - FIRING ON HIGHWAYS.

(a)

No person shall shoot, fire, or discharge upon any public highway in the County or any part of the ground dedicated to such use any firearms of any kind whatsoever.

(b)

Any person found guilty of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100.00) or by imprisonment in the County Jail not to exceed fifty (50) days, or by both.

(Ord. 387)

It shall be unlawful and a misdemeanor for any person or persons to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, or other kind of firearms upon any public street, road, court, alley, or place within the County; provided, however, that it shall be lawful to discharge any rifle or pistol not greater than a twenty-two (22) calibre or a shotgun with a bore not greater than No. 10 when loaded with shot not larger than No. 7.

(Ord. 285)

4-2102 - LIMITATION.

It is further provided that such guns as may be lawfully discharged, as stated in Section 4-2101 must not be discharged except when the person discharging is at a distance of more than two hundred (200) yards from any conveyance or horse or person except such person, conveyance, or horse with which the said person is traveling; nor shall it be lawful to discharge any such firearms within two hundred (200) yards of any house, barn, or stock running loose in any field or public road without permission being first obtained from the owner of such house or stock.

(Ord. 285)

So I'm a little confused on this part...

It shall be unlawful and a misdemeanor for any person or persons to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, or other kind of firearms upon any public street, road, court, alley, or place within the County;provided, however, that it shall be lawful to discharge any rifle or pistol not greater than a twenty-two (22) calibre or a shotgun with a bore not greater than No. 10 when loaded with shot not larger than No. 7.

Those areas are not "any public street, road, court, alley," but they are a "place within the County".

It is obviously legal to shoot there though so does this apply "it shall be lawful to discharge any rifle or pistol not greater than a twenty-two (22) calibre or a shotgun with a bore not greater than No. 10 when loaded with shot not larger than No. 7"

Is a .223 covered under the "22 calibre"? It does not say .22LR or .22 short.

Ron-Solo
08-08-2010, 1:39 AM
It is confusing, but I'd lean to the "no" on it to be safe. A .223, while the same diameter, is not the same as a .22, so you are on dangerous ground there.

I'd call the local LE agency for clarification to be safe. The last thing you want is to get nailed for loaded in a prohibited shooting area. That falls under 12031 PC

So, based on what you've posted, it's a definite "Who Knows?"

Lone_Gunman
08-08-2010, 6:58 AM
Yeah. I'm gonna have to make a few calls and see what I can find out from the County Sheriff and DFG.

curtisfong
08-08-2010, 3:28 PM
I'm still unclear why local LE is going to give you accurate legal advice.

N6ATF
08-08-2010, 3:38 PM
LOL

Exactly.

Lone_Gunman
08-08-2010, 6:14 PM

True, but if i do my due diligence and document date, time, and person I spoke with at least I might have a fighting chance if they try to screw me over.

sevensix2x51
08-08-2010, 6:52 PM
well, logically; if you are in an area that it is ok to target shoot, it has to be ok to LOC. otherwise, how could you shoot? once you load the weapon to fire it, thats LOC. :confused:

i personally LOC on BLM land when i am shooting, and the border patrol never looks twice.

i would stay off the road with a loaded weapon, but as long as it is truly legal to dicharge the firearm, it is legal to LOC it.. i mean, right?

Cokebottle
08-08-2010, 6:59 PM
Accurate or not, that is who you will likely encounter out there, so even if the PC says you're GTG, if local LE says no, then expect issues if they see you.