PDA

View Full Version : FFL Long gun transfer....(lock)

Amped
08-07-2010, 7:46 PM
I am buying a long rifle from a buddy of mine and we went to a local socal FFL to do all the papper work. After getting everything taken care of I was told that I must buy a lock in order to pick up the gun. I explained that I have many of those POS locks from my guns and I would bring it in when I pick it up. They guy at the shop said it must be brand new or no older then 30 days with a receipt. This is the first time I ever heard of this so I come here to find out if hes high a kite or just following the law.....

Thanks guys

foxtrotuniformlima
08-07-2010, 7:54 PM
he is correct.

You need to buy a lock or fill out the safe affidavit. I always fill out the safe affidavit because I own a CA DOJ approved safe. :)

Cokebottle
08-07-2010, 7:55 PM
This is a rare instance of the gun shop employee being correct.

Now, for a long gun, if you have a DOJ-approved safe, then you can complete the safe affidavit and you're GTG.... but the safe must be large enough to accommodate the gun. My ADG "Secure Vault" will work for a stripped AR lower, but not for a Mossy 500.

You can buy a lock from Wal Mart or wherever else you find them, present the lock and the receipt to the shop when you pick the gun up, then return the lock the next day.

tenpercentfirearms
08-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I am buying a long rifle from a buddy of mine and we went to a local socal FFL to do all the papper work. After getting everything taken care of I was told that I must buy a lock in order to pick up the gun. I explained that I have many of those POS locks from my guns and I would bring it in when I pick it up. They guy at the shop said it must be brand new or no older then 30 days with a receipt. This is the first time I ever heard of this so I come here to find out if hes high a kite or just following the law.....

Thanks guys

Have your buddy write you a receipt for a lock. Date it and put the make and model number of the approved FSD.

Amped
08-08-2010, 6:07 PM
Thanks guys, ill just take my Safe info....seams like a dumb law :cool: