PDA

View Full Version : Crank fire device

trbon8r
04-28-2006, 8:53 PM
If I were to buy a Browning 1919 semi auto belt fed rifle, would a crank fire device be legal in Ca?

I'd like to buy one of these rifles and I'm on the fence right now trying to decide between a 1919A6 and the traditional 1919A4. If the crank fire device is legal I might go for the A4 with tripod, but if not then I'd probably just opt for the A6 and the bipod. Thanks for the info.

shopkeep
04-28-2006, 8:59 PM
I believe crank firing devices such as the "GAT" fall under the same regulations as "Multi Burst Trigger Activators". They were banned over ten years ago. Don't worry though, you're not missing out on anything there were never more than a novelty item to begin with. There's a reason why militaries are limiting rifles to 3 shot bursts now.

trbon8r
04-28-2006, 9:08 PM
Right, I remember the ads in Shotgun News years ago for crank firing devices and always thought they were junk for a typical shoulder fired rifle.

However, for a semi auto 1919 Browning, it might be a different story if we are talking about a gun mounted to a tripod. Take a look at this video and judge for yourself. Sure it would be better if we could just have a full auto, but since we can't this might be as good as it can get.....

http://1919a4.com/cgi-bin/noncgi/Forum1/HTML/007665.html

xenophobe
04-28-2006, 9:11 PM
Trigger activators are not legal in California. Felony.

trbon8r
04-28-2006, 9:19 PM
Trigger activators are not legal in California. Felony.

Damn, somehow I was afraid of that. F this state. :mad:

Sounds like a good reason to buy the 1919 and keep the crank fire device at my friend's house in Vegas.

Matt C
04-28-2006, 9:44 PM
I really don't think that device is allowing a more rapid rate of fire than simple pulling the trigger would allow.

ohsmily
04-28-2006, 9:55 PM
I really don't think that device is allowing a more rapid rate of fire than simple pulling the trigger would allow.

Except in the case of bumpfiring, trigger actuators DEFINITELY allow you to fire guns faster than you can pull the trigger.

saki302
04-28-2006, 11:06 PM
You can bump-fire a rifle just fine without it though- I call it the 'unskilled band-aid'. All it does is make the trigger stiffer to (in theory) bump easier. I had one back in the early 1990's (or was it late 80's?). Junk- tossed in the trash shortly after.
You aren't missing much.

-Dave

50 Freak
04-29-2006, 12:36 AM
There's a reason why militaries are limiting rifles to 3 shot bursts now.

Yeah, because they're cheap and don't want their soldiers to expending something like 200,000 round per one kill (like in Vietnam) (I may be slightly off on the round per kill ratio:D :D ).

I don't see the special ops units using tri-burst.

shopkeep
04-29-2006, 12:47 AM
perhaps someone in here can jog my memmory, but I don't really remember the "multi burst trigger activators" really providing any more accuracy or firepower than bump-firing.

ohsmily
04-29-2006, 8:24 AM
perhaps someone in here can jog my memmory, but I don't really remember the "multi burst trigger activators" really providing any more accuracy or firepower than bump-firing.

True, but you can't bumpfire something that is on a tripod (like an m1919).

saki302
04-29-2006, 2:50 PM
The only thing that would likely work on a tripod is a crank device (illegal).
The MG3 ground pod with the lever trigger gives a nice rate of fire legally.

I have *heard* of guys bump-firing 1919's, but I have been unable to duplicate that with mine, and I have not seen it firsthand..
Maybe you need a jiggly AA tripod ir bipod setup..?

-Dave